Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM

54 posts, read 134,182 times

Advertisements

Hello,everyone after posting several thread on different boards I finally came across a good choice as to where I would relocate to. I am a 26 year old mom with 3 small children, I currently reside in washington,dc and will be moving to virginia beach late march early april.I hold a section 8 voucher and was kind of hoping to get some feed back on places in virginia beach that excepts section 8, I am looking to rent a spacious 3 bedroom apartment altho I prefer a house which ever comes first I will exceot just to secure a smooth move. My children are 6 and 3 so I need to live in a safe comfortable neighborhood it don't really matter the setting as long as its not secluded/too suburb. I look forward to you guys feed back I hope to hear back from you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Link

Just so you know the link says
Quote:
It is not unusual for a portability family to have to pay a full month rent (in addition to the security deposit) in order for an owner to take a unit off the rental market.
which could easily a couple thousand dollars around here. Good luck with your move. I would look at the apartments on the link provided and cross check them with the apartment guide. I know Twin canal is under going a major rehab (the pictures may look nice), but I still wouldn't live there. Just because it looks nice doesn't make it so. Good Luck!!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I know Twin canal is under going a major rehab (the pictures may look nice), but I still wouldn't live there. Just because it looks nice doesn't make it so. Good Luck!!!!
Yeah I noticed that the last time was in town. Looks like they painted and stuff.

As far as section 8 goes, the main areas of the city I know of are Green Run, Lake Edwards/Newtown/Virginia Wesleyan College area, and the Birdneck corridor. None of those areas are especially nice, unfortunately. But like I said, those are just the main areas I know of. Someone else may be able to elaborate.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Yeah I noticed that the last time was in town. Looks like they painted and stuff.

As far as section 8 goes, the main areas of the city I know of are Green Run, Lake Edwards/Newtown/Virginia Wesleyan College area, and the Birdneck corridor. None of those areas are especially nice, unfortunately. But like I said, those are just the main areas I know of. Someone else may be able to elaborate.
Lake Edwards was always a hole, then the section 8 started moving into the other developments around there and trashed the town homes (I blame William E. Wood Realty for that!). Too bad it's the bad ones that ruin it for everyone else.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM

54 posts, read 134,182 times
Thanx you guys for the feed back and I prey I find a nice area I'm just going to keep researching properties etc. But I truly appreciate the info

Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Default Lake Edwards area?

Where is the Lake Edwards area? I've only been here in VB for a little over two years and I don't know all of the areas yet.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Where is the Lake Edwards area? I've only been here in VB for a little over two years and I don't know all of the areas yet.
Lake Edwards is a small neighborhood bound by Baker and Newtown to the East, Virginia Wesleyan Univeristy to the North and West, and the Norfolk neighborhood of "Hollywood" to the South. When someone refers to the general area, they usually mean the various neighborhoods that consist mostly of attached townhouses that surround it. Neighborhoods like Weblin, Campus East, and Lynnbrook Landing. I consider that area within the borders of Wesleyan Drive on the North, Virginia Beach Blvd on the South, the neighborhood of "Aragona" on the East, and Norfolk's border on the West. Newtown/Diamond Springs Rd basically bisects it.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Lake Edwards is a small neighborhood bound by Baker and Newtown to the East, Virginia Wesleyan Univeristy to the North and West, and the Norfolk neighborhood of "Hollywood" to the South. When someone refers to the general area, they usually mean the various neighborhoods that consist mostly of attached townhouses that surround it. Neighborhoods like Weblin, Campus East, and Lynnbrook Landing. I consider that area within the borders of Wesleyan Drive on the North, Virginia Beach Blvd on the South, the neighborhood of "Aragona" on the East, and Norfolk's border on the West. Newtown/Diamond Springs Rd basically bisects it.
with the new Dragas communities on Weslyan and old newtown, I'd eliminate Aragona from that list. Lynbrook has turned into a dump the past 8 years with section 8 housing moving in. The neighborhood to the south of it suffers because of that. Newsome Farms was always nice and the people there take care of their property, but it's the gangs at Lake Edwards and Lynbrook that trash the area.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,790 times
Why do people always refer to indigent people like they have the plague? Just because a family uses their tax dollars doesn't make tham scum. I have a housing choice voucher from taking care of foster children for child services in another state, I choose houses accordingly when we relocate. Like nothing extravagant that I can't afford to repair if it needs. I also don't choose areas that are in the middle of the city where the kids can get swept up in nonsense they don't know anything about. Limiting needy families to areas known to harbor criminals just creates more criminals, oh and criminals come from all social and economic backgrounds. So when your kids go slumming looking for drugs and a good time keep them in your neighborhood where they can affect your neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM

25 posts, read 165,596 times
A good place to start might be to check w/ the city's housing authority, as they can help steer you to places they know will take section 8 as well as private landlords, etc. that might consider it:

Housing & Neighborhood Preservation | Available Rental Units Accepting Section 8/Housing Choice Vouchers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area