U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 21,146 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a large space to use for free in the Great Bridge or Greenbrier area. We are a small nonprofit group that supports and offers resources to the local growing autism community and we need a larger building to host our free autism conferences. (Please email me for more info if you are looking for support). We have a conference set for August 18th, but the space might be a bit small. We could really use both a large conference center or retreat center and also a building with multiple smaller rooms that aren't packed with stuff for regular meetings. We are hoping to offer a retreat to families with autism spectrum diagnosed children in the future too. We would ask parents to fund that mostly themselves but it must be reasonable, so if you know a retreat center anywhere within an hour of Chesapeake, we would love to know more about it.

Any ideas of places? The towns all charge a lot for space and I have not been able to come up with another large place to host our group. We are also looking for good places for children with autism to visit(like farms, hiking trails, etc) that are in quiet areas. If you have any recommendations for a space, that would be great as I am kind of stuck for ideas. Thanks so much. Have a wonderful day.

Last edited by Alirea; 07-19-2007 at 01:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 21,146 times
Smile Chesapeake - Great Bridge or GreenBrier building for autism group

Sorry about that. I realized I wasn't very clear about where we are looking for what exactly for our autism support group, Autism Fellowship. We are looking for a regular meeting location in the GreenBrier or Great Bridge area in Chesapeake with multiple low clutter smaller rooms and No tall ceilings. Many autistic children have a hard time with large spaces and too much visual stuff in a room. As for the conference, that could be anywhere close to Chesapeake, but we would prefer for it to be in the same area. We really want to make our conference available to as many people as possible and we can change dates to work with any place. We are definitely willing to look outside Chesapeake for a good conference center. As for the retreat center, that could be anywhere just over an hour max. And last, if you do know of any great places to visit that would welcome our kids, please feel free to contact us. And please definitely contact us if you are looking to connect with other families involved in autism or for a Scout program that specializes in autism. More than anything we really need a big space for a conference.
Have a great day.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:22 PM

902 posts, read 3,363,247 times
I noticed you have not had any responses; I hate to see that! I am in NC, and have a son with autism.

I would suggest you check with some churches; a lot of times they have a fellowship hall or room(s) they are willing to offer. They also may know of places suitable for the conference you mentioned. Such as a retreat camp sponsored by the denomination.

One other thing that comes to mind... check with the local chapter of the Jaycees. I know they sponsor a summer camp for folks with disabilities somewhere in Chesapeake; I have an adult brother with downs syndrome who attends the camp every summer.

Good luck from a mom who cares!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,254 times
I picked up a flyer from my sons OT the other day regarding cub scout pack chartered by autism fellowship and was wondering are you affiliated with them? I am trying to send an email but the email address must be incorrect. I have scouts@autismfellowship.com

Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
Hi, I tried that same email and it works now. Yes, they're affiliated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>