Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 AM

5 posts, read 9,563 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I’m from a small town in Massachusetts and have applied and heard back from some grad programs in Virginia and North Carolina. Based on the responses, I’m planning a trip over Spring Break that will allow me to get a better sense for the areas, and help determine my decision.

One of the programs is at Old Dominion. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the best area/town to live if attending ODU? As stated, I come from a small town, and I know Norfolk is very much a city, but I didn't know if maybe there were some suburbs or towns I could check out while on break? I think it goes without saying that I want an area without a high crime rate, but also some sort of activity - I am in my early 20's. I also will need to obtain a full time job, so basically, if anyone can suggest areas that are near Old Dominion, but also close to potential employment that would be wonderful.

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:20 AM

25 posts, read 165,558 times
You will likely end up gravitating towards Ghent, West Ghent and/or Downtown Norfolk. These are all very close to the ODU campus but not so close so that you'll feel like you're living amongst all of the undergrads. The crime rate anywhere in Norfolk is likely to be higher than what you're used to but you are likely (depending on your budget) to find a relatively secured-entry building to rent a condo or an apartment in those areas. You'll also be close to lots of bars, restaurants & shopping.

As for a job, I guess it depends on what sort of work you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area