Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,078 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the HR area this summer from Knoxville, TN. He will be a student at ODU and I will be looking for a teaching job in Elementary Ed. We are currently paying $640/month for a 2 bedroom apartment and would like our rent to stay about the same, even if that means going to a one bedroom. Is this reasonable in the HR area? W would like to be within 30 minutes of the university and it would be great to be in a fun location with restaurants and shopping etc, but our biggest concern is safety and proximity. Also, any advice on the Elementary Ed. job search would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried about finding a job in a town where I have no contacts. How is the teaching market in this area? Is it saturated like everywhere else? I will have my Master's when I graduate this summer and have not taught before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 13,790 times
Im shocked no one has posted anything thus far, but Ill give it a go. Im not quite sure where you want to work or live, but ODU is in Norfolk of course, and in Hampton Roads 30 mins away could be in any of the 7 cities (Portsmouth, Chesapeake,VB, Hampton), and on a good day in traffic maybe even Williamsburg.. however traffic will also be an issue, the further out you want to go,tunnels,rush hours etc.. or even within some immediate areas. For the amount you want to pay, I will say it may be a little tough considering you want the safety and security but I wont say impossible. Im from Norfolk, and have stayed in quite a few areas close to the school. (which Im an alumni GO MONARCHs!!) and I can say the lowest Ive come across was closer to $800. I really cant speak on any other areas besides Norfolk, but its really a place where you should come and see whats your vibe, out of all of the cities...and mainly what you can afford. I have a few friends that are also teachers and for the most part I dont really hear them complain so much as about the job than the students. I do know theyre are several school closings all over the area, so Im not sure how that will affect the teachers directly, but its for sure a major issue at this point...meaning the next school year. I hope this helps a little if you have any other questions please feel free to DM me...Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area