Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM

10 posts, read 17,225 times

Advertisements

What does everyone love or hate about Chesapeake? I am thinking about moving to the area from SC. All input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,113 times
I love how it still has that southern feel to it. Its like a more southern version of Virginia Beach.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM

154 posts, read 388,424 times
As a kid growing up, I thought it was a great place.

Pluses- Most areas are very safe
Great place to raise a family, i.e. great schools.
Close to the Outer Banks!
Most of the shopping that you will need.

Cons - Would be very boring for someone in their 20s
Housing can be expensive in nice areas.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Thanks for your replies. I am trying to decide if I want to move my family from SC. The schools are not good here.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times
I rarely go to Chesapeake, mostly because there's not a lot there I can't get somewhere else, but I will say that the traffic around Greenbrier is a pain.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM

It seems Chesapeake is a good area to raise kids. Will we have to commute to another town for employment? I am in the social work field and my husband had done all kinds of different jobs. I have done a lot of research on the internet (or have tried at least). I am planning on coming up to visit the area. We live in Greenville, SC right now. there are about 63000 people. I see that Chesapeake is much larger and that kind of makes me nervous. If anyone has any recommendations on areas to stay while visiting or hotels to stay at that would be great.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 AM

161 posts, read 563,420 times
there are a lot of hotels in the greenbrier area of chesapeake. we moved to the area in 2007 and landed in an apartment in greenbrier. i wanted to explore the area before buying a house. we ended up buying in the hickory area of chesapeake and love it. it is family friendly, the schools are great and it is a convenient location for commuting to work. we are also from the south (tennessee) and like the small town feel of chesapeake. its true that it isnt as built up as other areas, but we like that. we also seemed to be able to get more house for our money. we do sometimes wish there were more sit down restaurants here, but it really is only a 20 min drive to downtown norfolk and a 30 min drive to the beach.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM

that sounds like what I am looking for in an area. Close enough to town but still far enough away to not be in the hustle and bustle of the daily things. I cant wait to visit next month

Old 04-09-2011, 04:54 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkg123 View Post
It seems Chesapeake is a good area to raise kids. Will we have to commute to another town for employment? I am in the social work field and my husband had done all kinds of different jobs. I have done a lot of research on the internet (or have tried at least). I am planning on coming up to visit the area. We live in Greenville, SC right now. there are about 63000 people. I see that Chesapeake is much larger and that kind of makes me nervous. If anyone has any recommendations on areas to stay while visiting or hotels to stay at that would be great.
I would personally not worry about Chesapeake being too big. My father lived in Chesapeake in the Western Branch area from 05 to 09 and I visited there a couple of times while he lived there. At the times I visited I was living in the Washington DC area in Alexandria (pop 130k+). Chesapeake felt much smaller than Alexandria. I think that is part of Chesapeake's charm is that while you have a considerably large pop city it is more like a small-town laid back feel.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,929 times
Chesapeake is ideal for families and pretty safe. It lacks variety when it comes to restaurants or other cultural aspects. It's your basic suburban community and is great if that's what you are seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area