Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
This is the type of behavior I observed quite frequently while living in HR. Any mention of some larger city brought negative opinions and honestly ignorant views. What exactly do you mean by "there's more to life than being stacked up on top of each other like roaches?" You're complaining about NYC and yet you hate on people complaining about HR.
The reason why you probably thought you observed "behavior" in HR is because we've heard that song before...each new group thinks the world revolves around what they want and what they do where theyre from. A lot of us don't care about what folks did back home. A lot of us been to the places people come from to here...from the 80s thru the 90s etc. we not new to certain folks attitudes especially NY...but this aint Jersey and we not in to being greatful for being blessed to be in a NYers presence...we not in to that. Yall can whip up on Jersey, but we not Jersey. And see also, a lot of folks don't know HOW to say what they say or claim they "tellin it like it is" and all that bs, but for real, people may let you think they dumb but they not dumb...folks hear condescending backhanded slick tawkin yip yap. Oh NO, Im not complaining about NYC and Im not on no NYC forum tellin em what I don't like about it either or tellin em what they need to do to be more like VA. I like NYC...in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUProf View Post
Do your mommy and daddy know you're on their computer?

Listen, junior, if you want to troll these boards and take out your teen angst on the rest of us, no one can stop you. But, at least put some effort into it. Let's look at each of these points one at a time.

Schools: Just like ANYWHERE in this country, there are bad school, there are really good schools and everywhere in between. I can only speak about one school, the one my children attend in VA Beach, and we absolutely love it. The administration, teachers, parents are wonderful. I am very pleased with it.

Restaurants: I can't argue with this one mainly because I am relatively new to the area. I do know that there are plenty of options for fine dining in the area if that is what you want. Why don't you tell us all of the 'gourmet restaurants' you have tried that have been so disappointing?

Buffets: Buffets are buffets no matter where you are. You can find them anywhere and I am not convinced there is anything other than an OK buffet.

Clubs: I have no idea. I will take the 'older people' at their word. It isn't my scene.

As for things to do, as I have said a few times, "things to do" is a relative term. We have been here ten months and have never once wanted for things to do. If we want to do something, we can find it within a reasonable drive from right here. Beach? Yep. Amusement Parks? Yep. Museums? Yep. Live music and festivals? Yep. Hiking, fishing and outdoor activities? Yep. Shopping? Yep. What am I missing other than active nightlife, which as I said I can't comment on?

If you want New York shopping, restaurants, and nightlife, pack up the car and head that way. It's waiting for you with open arms. In the meantime, why don't you try to make the best of it.
Umm actually New York does not welcome you with open arms. In fact you can't even bare arms in that state. I'm ex military, love living in Virginia, and Im from New York

Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM

120 posts, read 210,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
The reason why you probably thought you observed "behavior" in HR is because we've heard that song before...each new group thinks the world revolves around what they want and what they do where theyre from. A lot of us don't care about what folks did back home. A lot of us been to the places people come from to here...from the 80s thru the 90s etc. we not new to certain folks attitudes especially NY...but this aint Jersey and we not in to being greatful for being blessed to be in a NYers presence...we not in to that. Yall can whip up on Jersey, but we not Jersey. And see also, a lot of folks don't know HOW to say what they say or claim they "tellin it like it is" and all that bs, but for real, people may let you think they dumb but they not dumb...folks hear condescending backhanded slick tawkin yip yap. Oh NO, Im not complaining about NYC and Im not on no NYC forum tellin em what I don't like about it either or tellin em what they need to do to be more like VA. I like NYC...in NYC.
Let me preface this by mentioning I am not from NYC and the times I observed said "behavior" was during light-hearted conversations concerning some cities. Nobody said anything to the like of NYC being so awesome or what have you. It mostly went along the lines of somebody visited said city and someone else chiming in with their negative opinion about it.

I think every city has something positive to offer and my observation was that some HR natives held negative views concerning other cities that are not like HR. I've heard in a conference room full of GS-14s and 15s say things such as "SF is where all the queers are," "Chicago is crime-ridden and too cold." Too cold is true during certain months though. A lot of these folks have not even visited those cities, so my point is that it's ignorant to hold such views without having experienced them. This is not to say that all the people in HR are like this. I was simply stating a behavior I observed that was unique from any other city I've spent a significant amount of time in.

As for your post, the conversations I observed were not anything about what people did back home, Jersey (???), or someone "tellin it like it is." I think you're making some far-fetched assumptions.

Also, If I had to generalize someone from NYC, I would say "New Yorker." As for any other part of NY, I would state the region or city. NYC is unique in that it has the same prefix as the state it's in and it also happens to be the largest city by far. Anyway this is just personal preference and honestly means nothing.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
Let me preface this by mentioning I am not from NYC and the times I observed said "behavior" was during light-hearted conversations concerning some cities. Nobody said anything to the like of NYC being so awesome or what have you. It mostly went along the lines of somebody visited said city and someone else chiming in with their negative opinion about it.

I think every city has something positive to offer and my observation was that some HR natives held negative views concerning other cities that are not like HR. I've heard in a conference room full of GS-14s and 15s say things such as "SF is where all the queers are," "Chicago is crime-ridden and too cold." Too cold is true during certain months though. A lot of these folks have not even visited those cities, so my point is that it's ignorant to hold such views without having experienced them. This is not to say that all the people in HR are like this. I was simply stating a behavior I observed that was unique from any other city I've spent a significant amount of time in.

As for your post, the conversations I observed were not anything about what people did back home, Jersey (???), or someone "tellin it like it is." I think you're making some far-fetched assumptions.

Also, If I had to generalize someone from NYC, I would say "New Yorker." As for any other part of NY, I would state the region or city. NYC is unique in that it has the same prefix as the state it's in and it also happens to be the largest city by far. Anyway this is just personal preference and honestly means nothing.
Like I was sayin...many of us have heard the song before whether you (in particular) are from NY or not.

You can learn something from every city but that is not generally how it goes...if it has in your dealings then that's you...but, there is a certain intolerable arrogance with certain folks...and certain folks just not havin it. As far as the "SF is where the queers are" and "Chicago is crime-ridden and too cold" that is not indicative of HR ...you can go on just about ANY forum on here and hear that type stuff. And around here with so many transplants you usually hear the complaints they have of a place they came from. That IS what a lot of people from Chicago say that came here. Crime and snow is why they've left. A lot of people leave VA and complain about fines/taxes and its strictness. But saying "oh its boring and theres nothing to do... theres no restaurants... its all just seafood" that type of stuff is...SMH.

Nah, I wasn't makin far fetch assumptions...I was speakin to some of the attitudes in this and other reoccuring threads like it.

Yeah? Well, I think the official title for someone from the state of New York is New Yorker...NYC is a city that is located in a state just like everywhere else except DC. Popular as NYC may be...its residents are not the ONLY ones who can say they are New Yorkers.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
monstrosity- I'm surprised you didn't mention the drivers, but then again Williamsburg is quite a bit better than Hampton Roads when it comes to speed limits, and poor skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
each new group thinks the world revolves around what they want and what they do where theyre from. A lot of us don't care about what folks did back home.
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
monstrosity- I'm surprised you didn't mention the drivers, but then again Williamsburg is quite a bit better than Hampton Roads when it comes to speed limits, and poor skills.

Pot, meet kettle.
Williamsburg is considered part of Hampton Roads...and youll never be able to say this driver is from Virginia and cant drive because that driver may very well be from Jersey, or NY, foreigner or Wherever, with VA tags but you know that never cross the mind of whiners.

The funny thing is I knew youd show up for THIS type of thread cause its right up ya alley. Pot meet kettle?..If I went to somebody elses home a whined about it may be...stuff you talkin, nah.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 06-06-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 PM

178 posts, read 281,885 times
Also the schools arent good here too! In NYC on the last day of school you watch movies and have parties, In Hampton roads on the last day of school you do work!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:10 PM

368 posts, read 995,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
Also the schools arent good here too! In NYC on the last day of school you watch movies and have parties, In Hampton roads on the last day of school you do work!
Is this really your reflection on what separates good schools from bad schools?

You can always be counted on for an in-depth examination of the issues, Lindsey.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:59 PM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
How old are you Lindsey....I don't get you at all...

Old 06-06-2014, 02:03 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
Lindsey, you make it so obvious that you're unhappy here. Why don't you plead with your parents to take you back to NYC for the summer? I'm sure everyone would be much happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area