Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM

56 posts, read 56,030 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I moved to HR a year ago, I have some little money saved and
I would like to buy small house with a price between 30 to 50
thousand.

I have already seen 3 properties that comply with my requirements,
they are usually built on the 60s or 50s. Six months ago there
was a property in my price range built in the late 80s but I did not
move fast enough. My credit is very good. I have savings and
I like certain kind of properties because they look like houses
that I liked when I saw them in american movies.

My questions are: what kind of hassles can I expect if the
property was built on the 50s or 60s ? Will I have difficulty
to find a mortgage with a selling of 50k or less? Is there any
due diligence that I need to follow as a first time buyer?

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Ronald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
The question is not what kind of hassles to expect in a house built in the 50's or 60's, but rather a house priced at only $50K or $60K here in Hampton Roads. That's extremely low.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Agreed that price point is VERY low. Expect to throw some big bucks in there to renovate a house if you are getting it for this type of price. There are many considerations in an older house such as the electrical, roof, windows, energy efficiency (windows, doors, AC/heat, insulation) and plenty more. I would suggest you have plenty of guidance so you know what to expect would need to be done. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 PM

135 posts, read 390,595 times
Obviously you will want to have a home inspection done. Ask neighbors, if possible, about the area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area