Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 16,405 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I'm moving to the northern portion of Newport News this weekend. Coming from NoVA (and I do NOT like NoVA, grew up here) and I lived in Blacksburg (for VT/RU) and loved it there. I've done a lot of research on the area (especially scanning crime maps ). But I just want some last minute, local advice. My roommate and I are 25, single, female, both have Bachelor's degree, and we were looking to move to Williamsburg, but couldn't quite afford it. So we chose The Townes at Jones Run Apts (next to I-64). My major concern is safety, but I'm interested in general advice/info as well.

1. I know to avoid the East End/Inner City areas of NNews, but where else? If I wanted to go out for the weekend (shopping, movies, restaraunts - *not* into clubbing) where's a good place? Or should I just stick to W-burg?

2. Are there any good, local places to get organic/free range produce and meat?

3. Anywhere that is unique to NNews (or Hampton Roads) that I should be sure to check out? Like artsy, old town, parks, museums, etc. I want to learn, explore, and experience more in the HR area.

4. Newport News park - good place to walk with the dog, in the evenings, (possibly) alone? Also, of the dog parks, which are the best OR would you recommend any?

5. To anyone else from NoVA - what's traffic like in HR compared to DC traffic? I heard the tunnel to Norfolk was bad from a coworker who grew up down there (but left 10 years ago).

6. To any local business owners - looking to start up a pet supply/dog walking business to serve HR - any good local support groups, events, advice on that matter? Is NNews a good place to own your own business? Is it hard to find work in general (because I also need to find a job in June so that I can leave my current one here in NoVA)?

7. General opinion of ODU and CNU (safety, quality, ease of admission, etc.)- will be trying to get my Master's within the next year or so.

Thanks so much for your advice in advance!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,646 times
What brought you to Newport News? I'm the polar opposite of you, grew up in Newport News but looking to move to NoVA. I'm in my 20's also but the job market in Hampton Roads for young professionals is slim unless you're medical or military.

The area where you live is mainly dominated by military who are stationed at Ft Eustis. There's not much around there except for Newport News park. The only advantage to that area is that it's close to Williamsburg

1. All the Apartment Complex's in the Denbigh area of Newport News are pretty sketch ESPECIALLY Aqueduct which is often in the news for bad reasons. Downtown Newport News is pretty rough but that's all the way on the other end of Jefferson BLVD far from you. Those bad areas are isolated and there's no reason to go in those areas unless you live there.

2. hmmm your best bet would be Fresh Market. There's no Whole Foods or small neighborhood grocery stores that you usually find free range meat around here. All the grocery stores here are the big chains.

3. Not really. There's Hilton Village on Warwick blvd which is in a pathetic state right now. It's the closest thing to an authentic old town area but it's just simply old. There are NO good stores or restaurants there and I never see anybody walking there. There's 2 towncenters which are the closest things you are looking for. But every city these days has a towncenter to simulate a downtown area. Yorktown beach is pretty cool for a nice evening walk but don't expect too much there.

4. Newport News park is good to walk during the daylight but I think it's closed at sunset. You wouldn't want to walk there at night because the park is just a big forest with trails. The only lights there are on the roads.

5. The traffic does not compare to NoVA. If you're commuting the tunnel everyday then you'll probably run into a few accidents here and there but it's not held up every single day.

6. I think a pet supply/dog walking business would work better in Williamsburg because there are alot more dog lovers there. But like I said earlier, jobs for young 20 somethings in Hampton Roads are very slim unless you're in the medical field or are military. If you're in the Gov't contracting field up in NoVA you may have a better chance on landing a job. But most 20 somethings like myself who have grown up in Newport News usually move to DC or NY for better job markets.

7. CNU is a better school than ODU. CNU's campus is really nice and the school is comparable to JMU. ODU is like George Mason where it's mostly a commuter school.

If I were you I'd consider moving to Port Warwick town center. It sounds like you're a dog lover and there are many passionate dog owners there. They have a nice dog park there and I like to take my dog there because all the dogs are really well behaved. Plus its central to all the good shopping and restaurants in Newport News.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 16,405 times
Thanks for all of the fantastic info!!! We settled on NNews because it's as close to W-burg as we could get within our rent range (Townes is 980 for a 2bdrm TH and very pet friendly, but most similar places in Wburg are 1200+ for a 2 bdrm apt.). I'm a loan processor/admin. and I've worked at FCPS, so I was looking for admin. jobs, or work in the James Co./NNews/Hampton school systems. But I hadn't ruled out having to commute, which it seems like I might be doing...I'll steer clear of those areas in NNews and good to know about the park. I've never heard anything about Yorktown Beach - I will have to check it out and now Port Warwick TC as well. I've heard similar things about Williamsburg and CNU - good to know past info was accurate! If you're interested in NoVA - No shortage of jobs, that's true. Fairfax, Centreville, Kingstowne, and parts of Springfield are all very nice places to live. Always nicer to live close to where you work in NoVA. However, I live in Falls Church, near Tysons (if you're familiar), and it's a giant mess here. Thanks again!!! If anyone has anything to add, be glad to read it

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Williamsburg is cool to visit but it really lacks a young community. The locals in Williamsburg are mostly retirees or big ballers that live in Kingsmill. It really lacks that hip factor that make Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria attractive to young people. The only young people in Williamsburg are William and Mary students and they never stick around Williamsburg once they graduate.

If you still have the choice I would advise you to look at Ghent in Norfolk or Virginia Beach near the Oceanfront. Ghent is an old town area in Norfolk where there are more young artsy folks and there's always events around there. Virginia Beach is pretty self explanatory but there are lots for young people to do around there and there are tons of great restaurants.

I'm looking for jobs in NoVA but I hate the overall snobbery and arrogance of professionals in the area. Like they are Gods gift to the business world. In Hampton Roads you wont find too much of that, and people are generally more humble. If you can find a job it's a great place to live.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownIIdGirl85 View Post
Hi -

I'm moving to the northern portion of Newport News this weekend. Coming from NoVA (and I do NOT like NoVA, grew up here) and I lived in Blacksburg (for VT/RU) and loved it there. I've done a lot of research on the area (especially scanning crime maps ). But I just want some last minute, local advice. My roommate and I are 25, single, female, both have Bachelor's degree, and we were looking to move to Williamsburg, but couldn't quite afford it. So we chose The Townes at Jones Run Apts (next to I-64). My major concern is safety, but I'm interested in general advice/info as well.

1. I know to avoid the East End/Inner City areas of NNews, but where else? If I wanted to go out for the weekend (shopping, movies, restaraunts - *not* into clubbing) where's a good place? Or should I just stick to W-burg?

2. Are there any good, local places to get organic/free range produce and meat?

3. Anywhere that is unique to NNews (or Hampton Roads) that I should be sure to check out? Like artsy, old town, parks, museums, etc. I want to learn, explore, and experience more in the HR area.

4. Newport News park - good place to walk with the dog, in the evenings, (possibly) alone? Also, of the dog parks, which are the best OR would you recommend any?

5. To anyone else from NoVA - what's traffic like in HR compared to DC traffic? I heard the tunnel to Norfolk was bad from a coworker who grew up down there (but left 10 years ago).

6. To any local business owners - looking to start up a pet supply/dog walking business to serve HR - any good local support groups, events, advice on that matter? Is NNews a good place to own your own business? Is it hard to find work in general (because I also need to find a job in June so that I can leave my current one here in NoVA)?

7. General opinion of ODU and CNU (safety, quality, ease of admission, etc.)- will be trying to get my Master's within the next year or so.

Thanks so much for your advice in advance!!!!!!!!
I moved from Hampton (right next to Newport News) to Alexandria, now in KY.

1. A place where you may like to have fun is the area that includes Patrick Henry Mall and Kiln Creek.

2. No comment.

3. Virginia Wildfire center in Newport News somewhere.

4. No comment.

5. You'll go from god-awful traffic to bad but not too bad traffic by moving from NoVA to HR. Just avoid the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel if possible.

6. HR isn't that great for jobs.

7. I think both offer a quality education. If you are living and working on the Peninsula stick with CNU. ODU requires crossing the water which you wanna avoid due to that tunnel.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 PM

94 posts, read 274,377 times
You don't have to go through the Hampton Roads tunnel to get to ODU anymore. You can take 664 through the Monitor Merrimac tunnel, get on 164 which takes you directly through the Midtown tunnel to Norfolk, and you come out right on Hampton Blvd which takes you directly to ODU.

If you plan to work in Norfolk, find a place to live on that side of the water, you don't want to have to commute through the tunnels at rush hour!

Newport News around J.Clyde Morris blvd, CNU, Riverside Hospital, etc, is very nice. There are many restaurants close by. Town Center has a lot of nice restaurants. And there are more down Jefferson Avenue between J. Clyde Morris Blvd and going toward Patrick Henry Mall, Denbigh, etc.

I grew up in Norfolk, lived in Grafton (Yorktown area) for awhile, Hampton, Newport News, and am now in Portsmouth. This is a great area. We have mild winters. Busch Gardens and Water Country are nearby. Also Colonial Downs which is a LOT of fun if you like horse racing. If you like to camp and canoe, there are some great places within 2 - 6 hour drive. (depending on how serious a canoer you are! )
Of course, there's the beach! Newport News has the Living Museum on J.Clyde Morris Blvd. There's the Air and Space Museum downtown. There's Newport News Park if you like to walk trails and/or picnic. And Sandy Bottom park too and Deer Park. In Virginia Beach, it's fun in the summer to walk the strip, go to the beach, nice restaurants, First Landing State Park. In Norfolk there's Ocean View beach (bay instead of Ocean, much less rough water).
You can visit Smithfield and Suffolk - about an hour away. Beautiful historic towns with some great eateries.
I think this area is great.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 AM

129 posts, read 359,166 times
I grew up in NoVA (21 yrs), and been living in Norfolk for the past few years, but I do like NoVA better.

North NN is pretty nice as its more populated with more shopping and other things going on. The people tend to be more educated as well compared to the rest of NN. I couldn't really comment on Williamsburg as I've never lived there.

The artsy district is in downtown Norfolk. Its called Ghent, and its where I live now. There are museums and other art/music related stuff here. I recommend living here out of anywhere else in HR as it is mostly educated and working young professionals.

If your fine with 66 and 495 traffic, traffic around here isn't bad at all. I don't mind going out driving at 5pm on weekdays. Weekend traffic is virtually NONE at all.

Careful walking at night alone. The hood is always not too far when your in HR.

Small businesses do not survive very well in HR. I couldn't tell you how many new shops that opened and closed within the past few years. This area is only good for engineers, NAVY enlistees, and nurses. A Pet care business may do alright in a nicer area where people actually take care of their pets. North part of NN is one of them.

Both ODU and CNU are are breeze to get in. No one really gets rejected from them. Between the two, ODU is certainly the better school. Its campus is magnitudes larger than CNU, and has all sorts of stuff going on. It is also located walking distance from Ghent.

I just bought a house next to ODU campus. Rental prices can vary significantly depending on which side of the street your on. Robberies occasionally happen, but it is completely predictable which 2-3 streets they happen on. It seemed to have reduced over the years to those confined streets.

Good luck.

Last edited by sbullet; 05-21-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM

10 posts, read 23,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbullet View Post
Both ODU and CNU are are breeze to get in. No one really gets rejected from them. Between the two, ODU is certainly the better school. Its campus is magnitudes larger than CNU, and has all sorts of stuff going on. It is also located walking distance from Ghent.
I have to disagree. While ODU is certainly not difficult to get into, CNU maintains increasingly high acceptance standards. I know multiple individuals who have gotten rejected from CNU. Furthermore, while it is true that the campus is significantly smaller than that of ODU, it is also much nicer.

I should note that the vast majority of CNU students originate from NoVA, if that is your crowd..

I've lived in NoVA and Newport News, and overall I enjoy them both. I don't miss the traffic or high cost of living in NoVA, and I will not miss the crime in Newport News.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 PM

26 posts, read 143,071 times
Quote:
Ghent is a nice little area in Norfolk but it's tiny and not really worth the drive across the tunnel. Williamsburg has a better artsy atmosphere than Newport News or Hampton. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have virtually nonexistent art communities and museums. It's pretty dull in Hampton Roads as a whole unless you like chain restaurants and the beach.

Quote:
Much better compared to Nova.

Quote:
I doubt a dog walking service would be well received in Hampton Roads, except maybe in Ghent and even there it's unlikely. This isn't like NYC or DC where busy owners can't walk their dogs. This area has a lot of military wives and kids who do it for fun and exercise. It's very suburban. Williamsburg might be a better option.

I've seen a few local pet shops, Muddy Paws in Norfolk, but most are corporate chains, like PetSupplies Plus.

And as others have said, the work here is mostly low paying service sector stuff unless you're contracting with the military. Professional jobs do exist here, they're just far and few between which is why many young people leave this area if they can.

Quote:
I graduated from ODU recently and every week we received safety alerts about students and locals being mugged and assaulted, not on the ODU campus, but in the surrounding areas. Literally across the street is Parkplace, a very low income neighborhood. That being said, in the day time it's pretty safe and I never had a problem when I was there.

It's easy to get admitted but I've seen some people get rejected. I doubt you will though since you've already gotten your undergraduate.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 AM

CNU definitely is better academically but they've only been a University since the 90's. ODU is more established and has been around longer. The only people that know anything about CNU are Newport News locals. But CNU is not huge in Newport News like VATech is in Blacksburg. The CNU campus is still rapidly developing but will take some years to gain more widespread recognition. I compare it to the likes of JMU where it's a "good" school but not as big as VaTech and not as easy to get into as ODU/VCU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area