Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 AM

23 posts, read 85,553 times

Advertisements

Are there any Russian speaking or German language clubs in the area -- people in the area who have an interest in speaking/practicing either of those languages? I'm not fluent in either but speak a good bit of Russian and a little bit of German. I'd like to practice every now and then, continue to improve. The Biergarten in Olde Towne could provide the appropriate setting for German; as for Russian, anywhere -- a cafe, pub, any public setting. Helfen, bitte...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM

209 posts, read 771,363 times
I don't know about your language, but mine has no clubs, teachers, or anything around here. It makes me sad. Anyway, checkout meetup.com to see if there is anything there for you. There is quiet a few groups in this area on that site, you might find something else you like too.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,654 times
Where is this Old Towne Biergarten - is that in Portsmouth? I just left Germany last year, but I married a Russian speaker a few months after I got stationed on Fort Monroe. We're planning to visit the Crimean peninsula and Black Sea area next month and maybe do some more traveling around Europe if we get the chance.

There's a few German restaurants here in the Peninsula area around NN and Tabb/York County, but nothing too impressive. If you meet up with the right group, you can usually find plenty of great Ruskie parties here to practice your Russian in between all the vodka shots (evil hangovers).

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Yep, the Biergarten is in Olde Towne, Portsmouth, on High St. The place is owned by Germans, but I've yet to have a waiter/ress who actually speaks German. (I've had a few of Germany's neighbor, Poland.) You'll enjoy the Black Sea. I lived in Ukraine for nearly a year about a decade ago and I have fond memories of the place, though I lived in Kiev. Ruskie parties, eh. Can you tell me more about that?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 PM

140 posts, read 419,454 times
I really doubt there are any Russian speaking people in Chesapeake. I would be pleasantly surprised. I also grew up in Kiev and now live in NJ and my husband and I are looking to relocate to VA

Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 AM

Every now and then, I hear some Russian speakers in Ghent. But more often in Va Beach. I don't go to the beach often, but when I do, I usually encounter a Russian or Polish speaker.
Well, Nelly, I really enjoyed Kiev. Walking along Kreshatik Blvd, strolling in Hydropark and shopping in the open markets -- these were cool things that I enjoyed doing. I was living there in 1997 and went back again for a visit in 1999. It's time for another visit. I think the visa requirement has been dropped, thank God.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:54 AM

328 posts, read 1,540,067 times
There is a 2 Russian Guys who work nights at the Chanello's Pizza in Ghent..Since someone mentioned Ghent.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
My old dentist's hygienist is russian as well. Lots of em' down at the ocean front.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 PM

254 posts, read 1,207,654 times
I'm having a birthday party for my wife in a couple weeks and now I'm trying to find someone that can do that crazy Russian kick dance. I'd like to hire a performer to some authentic Russian dancing but I can't find anyone local. Too bad the Russian circus isn't still in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area