U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,737 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've lived in VA my whole life (Fredericksburg initially, then Harrisonburg for school, now wonderful NOVA) and we'll be able to move out of the NOVA area in about a year and a half, so I love looking for places to move (sick of this place's traffic, the commute to DC, the stressed out people... oy). I was assuming we'd move out of VA, then I realized I kind of loved VA... so, I started looking at other places in the state. I'm specifically interested in Hampton Roads, and have been looking into Williamsburg. My hubby knows W'burg because he went to W&M, but that was 11 years ago and he only saw the city through the lense of a college kid. Now we're looking for something with pretty good schools, near water, with some land (over a quarter acre preferably) but thought we should avoid the NN/Hampton/etc area because of traffic, maybe crime too and not sure if you can get a house on a good lot of land down there. What do you think of Williamsburg - a good place to relocate? Or too 'touristy' and whatnot as some people complain? Good schools? Not giving enough credit to NN, etc? I also was considering Yorktown and other places around there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,579,892 times
For our family Williamsburg is a great fit., laid back, lots of things to do, small town feel. We moved here from Annapolis MD after having lived there for seven years. Prior to that we lived in Gaithersburg and northern VA after growing up in VA Beach. You might be too young to enjoy Williamsburg. Its major shortcoming for those 35 and under is there arent many other 35 and under folks living here. That is changing though. Not sure what your definition of "lot of land" is, there are homes here on acreage although real estate here is not cheap by any means. Only slightly less than northern VA. . Water access is around both on the James, York and Chickahominy Rivers, As a resident we don't feel that Williamsburg is a 'touristy' place. To me, Va Beach has WAY MORE tourists. Are two sons are now in Middle School and we are very pleased with the school system overall. As for Newport News, I know numerous folks who live there and love it. Its just not for us. A telling statistic , over 50% of the people who move to Williamsburg move here from Newport News and Hampton. Yorktown is a favorite for many. Schools and proximity to the lower peninsula are major draws. Home prices are higher there than in Williamsburg . Traffic is heavier and in my opinion its more commercial and not as appealing as Williamsburg but thats simply my opinion. Take a drive down spend a few days and see what you think..

Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,558,918 times
Default Imo

Mr.Williamsburg is the expert of the area.. I really like the community, great small town feel, variety of stores, good number of activities to partake in, and not too touristy in my opinion.

My opinion about the school system is a tad different though. I taught in WJCC and was completely taken back by the number of unhappy teachers and corrupt dirty politics in the district.
Granted I come from Colorado and I guess a very functional school system, so I have learned since moving here, then compared to out here. However, I've learned from other teachers in the Hampton Roads area who teach in other districts in the area, the teacher morale and happiness is very low, many hate teaching in the district but stay for the money. I was in shock at the number of teachers who come into the staff lounge with tears, literally, due to the dirty policits. Who is making life miserable for teachers? Those who work up in Academic and Student Services.
Also, please understand that this isn't for 100% of the families. I would venture to say its the teachers who are really unhappy. The most unhappy parents are those who have a child on an IEP, are on homebound, or have to deal with Student Services at all.
I would advise you to stay away, far away, if you have a child on an IEP.

I moved my family to Yorktown and so glad I did. I miss Wburg's community feel, however having sanity trumps liking the town.

Again, the schools have good teachers and great programs. If your children are at the junior high and high school level, I would suggest Hornsby and Jamestown. Mr. Williamsburg can offer his support as a realtor in finding properties in those areas.

Good luck!!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,936,390 times
My family and I moved from Northern VA to Newport News for a year. We planned to relocate permanently to Williamsburg, but decided to move back to Northern VA.

In any case, I wanted to mention two things: 1) Mr. Williamsburg was an outstanding resource for the region. He really knew the areas inside and out and 2) we found Williamsburg to be the most NoVa suburb-like area in Hampton Roads, in the positive sense. It would be first our choice if we stayed in this area. However, he is also right that Williamsburg has much older demographics than NoVA.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM

4,880 posts, read 7,614,227 times
Is Williamsburg area do-able for retirement if one is not wealthy but has a decent income...would be renting and I don't see alot of apt/townhouse rentals, but I'm sure they must be there somewhere!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 PM

There are numerous rentals in Williamsburg. Not sure of your price range but consider spending $1300 for a nicer 2 bedroom condo. 23185 Homes for Rent - 23185 Houses for Rent - 23185 Rentals Real Estate - Realtor.comĀ® Full disclosure, I am a real estate agent but I don't work in the rental market. My favorites would be the one on Rannock Moor (Braemar Creek) the one on Woodmere Dr. The one on Graves Ordinary inn Kingsmill or the one on Settlement Dr in Bristol Commons, all are $1300 except for Settlement Dr which is $1100, Students at the college will be renting soon taking more of them off the market.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 AM

698 posts, read 924,464 times
Default retiring in williamsburg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Is Williamsburg area do-able for retirement if one is not wealthy but has a decent income...would be renting and I don't see alot of apt/townhouse rentals, but I'm sure they must be there somewhere!

i am also interested in williamsburg as a possible retirement/relocation destination. i am a single female and would probably be interested in renting, possibly buying a condo or townhouse with first floor bedroom. i'm not especialy drawn to senior communities as such but wonder at the practicalities of this as a single person. i am concerned as to the difficulty in making friends, establishing a social network in a town where i know no one. i would prefer something close to town, and could probably pay $1400+ for rent. i have visited w'burg often but realize living there would be an entirely different situation. from what i've read there are a growing number of seniors in the area and i wonder about the services that may be available for them. i'm also interested in the life long learning institute which is offered at the college.

i realize i'm asking questions that cover several areas. i appreciate any information that you can offer.

thanks-
catsy girl

Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 PM

55 posts, read 82,729 times
Default Maybe Williamsburg?

Hi: I've been on this forum for a while and started out thinking I wanted to move to VA Beach, then Norfolk, then Ghent, now I'm thinking Williamsburg.

Like CatsyGirl; I am a single female over 50 and know no one down there. I would like a townhome/condo (pets must be accepted) and my profession is human resources.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks, Rosemary

Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 PM

Rosemary
Would you be renting or buying ? What's your budget ? What specific questions do you have ?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM

55 posts, read 82,729 times
I'm thinking of rent-own because I'd like to live in VA for at least a year (I'm from CT and sick of cold weather/snow); don't know my budget because I don't know how much things cost there and what salaries are. I basically want to know if the area is safe, are people friendly, are there lots of things to do (I like the outdoors)....how is the job market? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area