Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 AM

13 posts, read 41,478 times

Advertisements

My brother in law bought a car from a dealership in Portsmouth almost a month ago. The guy didn't tell him until after he signed the papers and paid that he didn't have the title and that he'd have to order it. They still do not have the title so he still can't register it, and his temporary plates are almost expired. He was going to move next week, and the guy said he would give him new temp plates and send the title to his new address in Indiana later. He's probably not leaving any time soon, though, because the car stopped working yesterday.

I think there's nothing to be done about the car not working, but is there a time in which he has to give over the title?

This place was reaaaaally sketchy, I had to teach the salesman how to use the credit card machine, he said they've only used it once before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
I think a dealer has 90 Days to obtain the title, so actually the dealer can issue up to three sets of temporary tags

Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 AM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,477 times
He pretty much has to wait the 90 days!
Leave it to Virginia not to have a right of rescission law for used cars!
& the used car dealers take full advantage of it.

Here's another way to smell a fishy dealer...ask if they will guarantee safety inspection, they of course will say that the car has a current sticker. Ask who did the inspection. When they say "we did", ask if you take the car immediately elsewhere for a safety inspection & it fails will they fix it or refund the money.
Chances are the will refuse. (why refuse if it passes right?)
It's easy to "Inspect & Pass" your own inventory when you want to sell it!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
It's a case of "buyer beware." He can and has the right to take it to another mechanic or safety inspection station to have his own done if he thinks there is something fishy. Also, was there a used car warranty that came with the purchase?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 AM
NJR

Yup, the communistwealth is a "buyer beware state". Whether its a car or a house.
Here's an example:
There was one guy on craigslist selling a motorcycle stating it needed a battery.
When told that a battery was available to put in to have it start, the seller refused saying, get this:

"It would affect the selling price."

Yeah sure, if the motor was blown!!!
You gotta love this place.
When I was buying my used truck, the ONLY dealer that guaranteed me the inspection as I said above
was Frank Foster of Pomoco Lincoln Mercury in Newport News.

Unfortunately, in your brother in law's case, he is SOL.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
Yup, the communistwealth is a "buyer beware state". Whether its a car or a house.
Here's an example:
There was one guy on craigslist selling a motorcycle stating it needed a battery.
When told that a battery was available to put in to have it start, the seller refused saying, get this:

"It would affect the selling price."

Yeah sure, if the motor was blown!!!
You gotta love this place.
When I was buying my used truck, the ONLY dealer that guaranteed me the inspection as I said above
was Frank Foster of Pomoco Lincoln Mercury in Newport News.

Unfortunately, in your brother in law's case, he is SOL.
Why blame VA for what people do to try and sell things? Common sense IMHO would be a big factor if you were buying something.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM
NJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Why blame VA for what people do to try and sell things? Common sense IMHO would be a big factor if you were buying something.
I disagree Erma, although common sense is a big factor in making a purchase, many people are not "experts" in buying cars, motorcycles, houses etc.

It is in the nature of the unscrupulous to pawn off lemons on the unsuspecting public. I trustworthy seller would have nothing to hide. Unfortunately, Virginians do not enjoy the legal protection that most of the US enjoys.

I compare it to the "lock theory". Locks do not prevent theft, they just keep honest people honest. Similarly, consumer protection laws keep honest vendors honest

Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
I disagree Erma, although common sense is a big factor in making a purchase, many people are not "experts" in buying cars, motorcycles, houses etc.

It is in the nature of the unscrupulous to pawn off lemons on the unsuspecting public. I trustworthy seller would have nothing to hide. Unfortunately, Virginians do not enjoy the legal protection that most of the US enjoys.

I compare it to the "lock theory". Locks do not prevent theft, they just keep honest people honest. Similarly, consumer protection laws keep honest vendors honest

I have to agree with Erma, why blame VA ...
Again it does all comes back to common sense....Heres a clue!!! if you are not an "expert" at something find someone that is and obtain their advice or use their services before and during a purchase...If you dont then its no ones fault but your own

Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM

154 posts, read 388,533 times
Why would you ever sign papers to buy a car without seeing the title? Not having the title probably means that the person selling it does not actually own it, or they own it but someone else has a lien on it.

*Shakes head*

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,638 times
Would the Better Business Bureau be of any help here? You could always call local media to see if they would run a story about them. See how some negative publicity makes them feel. Or could you carfax it off the VIN# to see it's history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area