Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM

19 posts, read 111,889 times

Advertisements

Hi, all--does anyone know anything about The Rock Church on Kempsville Rd. in Virginia Beach? We are in the process of finding a church home and are trying to gather useful information. We have visited and, though larger than any church I've ever belonged to, have been drawn to it--especially by the youth ministry. But as a visitor you often have a limited and superficial view. We want to join a solid church with integrity of leadership as well as membership.
Any input, anyone? Greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 AM

260 posts, read 1,190,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdj90 View Post
Hi, all--does anyone know anything about The Rock Church on Kempsville Rd. in Virginia Beach? We are in the process of finding a church home and are trying to gather useful information. We have visited and, though larger than any church I've ever belonged to, have been drawn to it--especially by the youth ministry. But as a visitor you often have a limited and superficial view. We want to join a solid church with integrity of leadership as well as membership.
Any input, anyone? Greatly appreciate it!

I think it should be based on your own feelings and vibe you got.

We went to the Rock Church when we had been looking to join a new church. Our first impression was,,, didn't like it all. To me if felt more like a Corporation then a church. Didn't have any new combers welcome area and felt as though we were lost in a crowd being shuffled around like cattle.

Also,,, makes me think twice when a church puts so much $$$ into there appearance,, hmm.. where do you think they get that money to dress up there church??

Again... this is just my opinion.

good luck

Old 01-05-2008, 12:40 PM

144 posts, read 679,865 times
The feelings you get when you walk into a Church are important for first impression but a final decision of whether or not to attend that Church should not be based just upon your feelings (unless that's all that's important to you).

Probably, any Church that has been around as long as the Rock Church will have skeletons in its closet (which I'm sure it does), but there again any Church that has the longevity that the Rock Church has had can't be making but so many mistakes.

This is totally my opinion (as a pentecostal pastor in NC), Anne Giminez has done well for that Church since becoming their Pastor. She has a tremendous amount of clout and respect in the religious community and is able to bring in great speakers. From what I understand, even though the Rock Church is "gi-normous" they have done a good job of breaking the pastoring down into smaller groups so that everyone is paid attention.

With a Church that large they also have many resources that are available to them that are not available in other Churches. This is helpful with youth ministry because youth love all the bells and whistles. The problem there is that "bells and whistles" do not make an effective youth ministry so make sure there is substance there.

I've know many people in our area that have been positively impacted by the ministry of the Rock Church either as parishioners or as neighboring occasional visitors. I've also known a few that were hurt there and carry scars (This is true of any Church and especially ones that have been around any amount of time).

As far as I know they teach a "full gospel" brand of Christianity. If you come from that kind of background you will probably appreciate it; if not you will occasionally find fault with the teaching (sadly most people tend to be more influenced by what they grew up with than what they've actually studied for themselves even when they've engaged in extensive study). I'm sure that many can tell you a thousand reasons why you should not go there. What you need to decide is if that "drawing" you feel to go there is God or the beauty of the fountain out front and the size of the building. If it's God--then go there, if it's the fountain and the size of the building I would suggest a little more prayer before making a decision.

Honestly, there are probably many fine Churches in your area that would be worthy of you attending, but none of them will be perfect or like the one you left. Churches that give you a good feeling when you walk through the door are a good place to start, but it should take several weeks of attending to make a final decision unless you find something early on that is absolutely intolerable to you.

Happy hunting and God speed!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM

19 posts, read 111,889 times
Thanks to all replies. I agree that gut feeling can sometimes be unreliable in making such an important decision. Also I agree that it will take several visits to as many of their services/bible classes, etc. to get a real flavor for what a church is about. So far, I find Pastor Gimenez' preaching to be biblically sound. Hopefully that translates to the membership and the other pastors and leaders.

I think that I am just impatient to be involved and active in a viable, spiritually sound church as is our family's custom. But time, prayer, visiting as many churches as we can and waiting on the holy spirit's leading will provide the best results!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 PM

It's been my experience that people who blow in and want to try everything the first week leave about as quickly. Most pastors tend to be leery of people who come in and want to get very involved and join the membership when they don't even know anything about the Church yet. Extreme initial excitement sometimes (but not always) equates to short attention span. A cautious and patient approach almost always bodes well for the newcomer. It gives the pastors as much chance to get to know you as it gives you to get to know them. Sounds like you didn't really need the whole sermon from me though. Happy hunting again.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Being Roman Catholic, we are expected to join our local parish and support it. It is very interesting to hear about people shopping for a church, but in some ways I guess it makes sense. I pray that you find the home you seek.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
we are expected to join our local parish and support it.
Janeann I lived in Springfield, PA for about two years just outside of Philadelphia and I was always impressed with the faithfulness of the Catholics there. Springfield was a heavily Catholic area and most of the people there were either Catholic or "not Catholic". Being a protestant pastor I always marveled at how faithful the Catholics seemed to their Parishes. We have people that come and go regularly. They check out the different Churches and visit them all and some even continue visiting them the rest of their lives (I believe that is unhealthy for the believer: always a visitor and never really a part of a congregation). I for the most part admired their faithfulness but at times it was rather sad too. There were some (only some) that almost loathed their Parish for some reason or other and wouldn't even attend services there but would not think of going anywhere else because it was not their Parish. I guess there's good and bad in both systems.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,606 times
@ drdj90...(Hi, all--does anyone know anything about The Rock Church on Kempsville Rd. in Virginia Beach? We are in the process of finding a church home ...)

Just wondering if you found a church home that is a good fit for you yet?

I lived just off Kempsville Rd fm 1977-1979 (grew up and was still a Catholic at the time). Every time I drove by The Rock Church - EVERY TIME - I would think to myself "I should stop and check out that church" - I was not a born-again believer and didn't realize until, looking back, that God was calling me there for a purpose. It is a small world, indeed. Since I became a Christian I have met 2 pastors within the past 17 years that have greatly impacted my Christian walk in a most positive way (not that others haven't...) - they both attended The Rock Church during the time I would've been going there had I followed through when God was trying to get my attention. I never did even visit until June of 2011 when I moved back to this area. When I moved back to the area the very first thing brought to my mind was God's leading me to The Rock Church. How cool is that?

I don't like what is considered "showy" in any church but don't want to stop God from moving in my life just because of MY opinion. In all the church's I've ever attended since becoming a Christian, I ALWAYS interview the pastor in addition to getting others' reviews AND (from experience) there is ALWAYS something or someone in EVERY church that you may not like or that may offend you - we are all still a work in progress (these situations can refine your character or, you can allow them to embitter you). I have come to rely on Holy Spirit to direct my steps rather than just what others' have to say (although you have gotten some good info here).

The Rock Church DOES HAVE a first-time visitor's welcoming area EVERY Sunday (with refreshments) upstairs - that they announce after worship and just before the sermon begins - so you can meet the church leadership and so they can meet you and tell you about the church and you can ask questions. I love it there, however, I believe I am called to be there for this season for some reason. I'm sure you are called to be at a particular church as well - for a reason.

Also, regarding darzz1's post, people spend their money on what's important to them. People spend lots of money on what they desire to possess, as well as decorating themselves and their individual homes (for themselves to enjoy). All the talents and money we have, we have because God has blessed us. One of the ways to show him our gratitude is to beautify - from resources He provided us with - the building where we come together to glorify Him. The Rock Church is also televised and if having a beautiful church will bless those watching - Amen, we have planted seeds in the Kingdom!

I hope you are where you should be and are very happy there. God bless you

Last edited by phb77; 09-15-2011 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Added thought and corrected punctuation.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,606 times
Default In response to janeannwho...

@ janeannwho (wrote): Being Roman Catholic, we are expected to join our local parish and support it. It is very interesting to hear about people shopping for a church, but in some ways I guess it makes sense. I pray that you find the home you seek.

janeannwho, I thought so too when I first heard of it. Since becoming a born-again believer (I was raised Catholic, and there are also many born-again believer's in the Catholic faith) I have found that there are many churches that profess to be a particular denomination, yet the Pastor does not believe or teach basic biblical principles or even believe Jesus is who he says he is (the amount is astonishing). That is not the kind of "church" I am willing to attend; therefore, I interview the pastor and leadership of whatever church I visit, to make sure the teaching is based on the WHOLE Bible.

Since doing this, I have felt much more comfortable with taking responsibility for what I believe and who I allow to have input into my life. We should always, 'be a Berean' (regardless of what preacher, minister, priest, etc., is teaching, look to the Bible to verify the message we have heard as truth).

Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM

359 posts, read 758,831 times
Maybe I love K'ville too much, or I must have too much time on my hands, because I actually sent them a note about the messages rotating on their light-up sign. I don't think they evoke humility.

What I am is maybe a busybody or nincompoop. Or maybe an overachiever. Or too vain myself. But I have a voice, and I felt like using it, because the sign bugs me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area