U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,079 times

Advertisements

Virginia Beach has a proud stance to not protect rape victims. They are attempting to protect the local economy, which is feuled by housing the military. While the men that serve are coutry is a great thing, there are a few bad apples that take advantage of women; and the Virginia Beach judicial system actually protects these rapist. It doesn't just include service members, but Virginia Beach will actually go out of there way to destroy a rape case. If you are a woman (or have any respect toward women), I strongly urge you to avoid travelling to the city of Virginia Beach, VA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 AM

45 posts, read 96,909 times
This is true of ALL areas around military bases. It is an absolute epidemic!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 AM

203 posts, read 436,313 times
That is one perspective on how the system works. Having been inside the system and seen how it works. I would disagree on this. I've been directly involved in the prosecution of many cases that involved the military and in no way, were they given any special treatment. I have personally sent many directly to jail.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 59,974 times
okay, as a single female in her mid 50s - i guess i would not have a safe haven to retire to. Are there areas in Virginia beach that are safe? Also, how is the employment look for medical transcriptionist? I love my work and don't want to quit.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:37 AM

55 posts, read 84,952 times
I would like to hear more responses too. I'm in the same boat as Waterrat and I sure don't want to make a move and regret it later. I did hear more and more about the Ghent area being better for singlesover 50. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 AM

3,848 posts, read 8,579,790 times
I'm not sure why anyone would want to retire here. Leaving out all the other problems the area has and focusing solely on transportation is enough to make me say "no thanks" when it comes to retiring here.

There was an article in the paper yesterday (front page about the Tide) and it noted that 1 in 5 seniors don't drive (and I'm sure we all probably know seniors that SHOULDN'T be driving but they still do)

If you don't or can't drive any more, you're screwed if you live here. Although the Tide is a step in the right direction, it does not even make a dent in the transportation problems we face. As one looks to retirement, this is something they seriously need to look at if they wish to retain their independence.

Ghent is okay, but as I've said before, it is such a small area that a snail can make it from one end to the other in 30 minutes. I can't imagine spending my golden years so boxed in.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 10,492 times
I stay away from Virginia Beach anyways, Mainly because of all the drunken fools that inhabit the boardwalk at night, Blasting crappy music from their boom-boxes like everyone and their mother gives a f*ck about your hibbity hop.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM

6,192 posts, read 559,556 times
I find this ridiculous, I grew up and lived in Va. Beach 30 years and they no more protect criminals there then anywhere else. If you research you will see Va. Beach has a lower crime rate for a city its size than any other city on the east coast. Many people that grew up in Va. Beach never go to the tourist area of the oceanfront. There are many pretty coastal areas there that are much nicer than central tourist area Va. Beach - rivers, and the wonderful Chesapeake Bay area. I still love Va. Beach and miss it.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:38 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,716,810 times
Virginia Beach is huge and you can't dis the area because of the boardwalk. It's always been a place for young people to "hang" in the late hours of the nite because of the amount of people and businesses down there. I've lived here 25 years and have never had a problem and the many cities I've visited across country, it isn't any different unless you are in a little BFE town that shuts down at 6pm and is in a rural community. The medical profession is always looking for good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area