U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 AM

161 posts, read 529,994 times

Advertisements

my in-laws (active 70's) are coming for a visit this weekend and i am at a loss as to how to entertain them. i was thinking maybe going to the vb boardwalk and renting one of those umbrella bike things, playing putt putt, maybe getting an ice cream (where is the best place to park?). also, maybe the botanical gardens. but after than, i need help. they have already been to williamsburg and smithfield. any and all suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 AM

86 posts, read 281,455 times
I'd say Williamsburg but if they're not too crazy about going back there then don't, but the Willliamsburg farmers market on saturday mornings is really nice and active especially in the summer. If they like shopping the Outlets are great too. The historical sights wont be any different from last time they visited.

Take them to the VB boardwalk and rent one of those 4 person bikes then enjoy lunch at a good seafood restaurant. Watermans is really nice because of their location and have pretty good food. I personally prefer Surf Riders food but their restaurant looks old inside and last week when I ate there the AC wasn't working for half of the restaurant. You can also take them to the Virginia Aquarium not too far from the beach

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 PM

12 posts, read 31,134 times
I invite you to take a trip to Olde Towne Portsmouth starting with a stroll along High Street shopping and then have lunch at one of the eclectic restaurants such as Brutti's, Still, or Lobscouser. Then take a tour at The Courthouse Galleries and following that at the Va Sports Hall of Fame. Then you could take in dinner and movie at the Commodore Theater.
Plan your trip through PortsVaEvents | Official Portsmouth Va Events Calendar | Festivals, Concerts, Exhibits, Special Events
Have Fun and see ya soon!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM

35 posts, read 36,297 times
Be really adventurous and take them to First Landing and walk the miles of trails. Then cross the bay bridge to Onancock and Kiptopeke. Manteo Is about 1.5 hr from VA Beach. The aquarium. Visit a plantation.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,293 times
My daughter is looking at a home in cloverdale manor area......on keel st. I'm concerned about that area, but being out of state I have no info other than what I am finding on the Internet. Can anyone give me some insight? Thank you!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 AM

6,201 posts, read 591,461 times
Take them out for a nice dinner or lunch at one of the Surfrider locations (Ocean View is the best one on the water)

Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM

20 posts, read 24,108 times
My parents loved the harbor cruises out of Norfolk. There are also some walking tours of Downtown Norfolk that are supposed to be interesting.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM

41 posts, read 71,339 times
First Landing State Park - some trails are as short at .5 miles and others as long as 6, so you have quite a variety. Eat brunch outside at 757 Crave at Marina Shores (they open for the season on Apr 26). Pick strawberries at a farm down in Pungo. Visit a farmer's market - Olde Beach Farmer's Market or Farmer's Fare, both on Saturday mornings. Take a bottle of wine to Chicks Beach and watch the sun set. Visit Nauticus. Visit the old Jamestown settlement and the battlefield at Yorktown. Visit the Cape Henry Lighthouse. Check out any possible festivals or live music at the oceanfront for whatever days they'll be here. Last summer the Virginia Symphony did several shows at the 31st St park and that was really cool and relaxing.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 PM

2,190 posts, read 7,309,560 times
There's metered parking all over and a few garages...The Hilton parking garage is by 31st street where, that puts you by the King Neptune statue and a park. Catch 31st bar/restaurant is right there and is the classiest place on the oceanfront.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM

57 posts, read 186,652 times
Biking at 1st landing if you have the equipment is a good choice. Trails are flat and not too long.
Toury places like the local Fort Norfolk or Bacon's Castle could work.
The spirit harbor cruises are pretty enjoyable.
Lunch on the water - outside (the crab shack in Norfolk or Waterman's in VB come to mind).
The Chrysler Museum
Tides Baseball Game
Shopping at Peninsula Town Center (if inclined)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area