U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 109,320 times

Advertisements

Hi all, i'm considering taking a position in Norfolk and considering a move to the area.

I'm a 20 something professional single female so I'd like a place that's safe and with somewhat of a night social scene. I'm moving from Miami and know I'm not going to get what I have here - but would like to be around other young professionals if possible.

What areas would be good to look into? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM

162 posts, read 303,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith0846 View Post
Hi all, i'm considering taking a position in Norfolk and considering a move to the area.

I'm a 20 something professional single female so I'd like a place that's safe and with somewhat of a night social scene. I'm moving from Miami and know I'm not going to get what I have here - but would like to be around other young professionals if possible.

What areas would be good to look into? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Norfolk is more urban. Like a very lite version of Baltimore. Virginia Beach is like a much, much, smaller version of Miami, but PG and kid friendly. You'll see what I mean when you get here.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 AM

359 posts, read 703,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris72 View Post
Norfolk is more urban. Like a very lite version of Baltimore. Virginia Beach is like a much, much, smaller version of Miami, but PG and kid friendly. You'll see what I mean when you get here.
Concur.

I wonder wny Baltimore escapes so much of the national focus (blight) that is heaped on Detroit. I used to live right outside of greater Baltimore, and I can't imagine having to raise kids there. "Daddy, why don't we ever go past the Patapsco Valley State Park?" "That's the DMZ, honey. That's where all the Obama voters live and kill each other in broad daylight. It's a very bad place."

Norfolk is nice, and safe enough though.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 AM

26 posts, read 124,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
Concur.

I wonder wny Baltimore escapes so much of the national focus (blight) that is heaped on Detroit. I used to live right outside of greater Baltimore, and I can't imagine having to raise kids there. "Daddy, why don't we ever go past the Patapsco Valley State Park?" "That's the DMZ, honey. That's where all the Obama voters live and kill each other in broad daylight. It's a very bad place."

Norfolk is nice, and safe enough though.
Depends on where in Norfolk. An ODU student was killed recently in his own house. Muggings and assaults of ODU students were common when I was attending just a few months ago, albeit off campus.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM

3,848 posts, read 8,571,515 times
Quote:

Do you live in FTL or Miami?

VA Beach is not a smaller version of Miami or even for that matter, FTL. It's very different and not in a good way.

Downtown Norfolk is a cross between Downtown Miami and Brickell. Brickell in that the core of Downtown is relatively safe, and Downtown Miami in that much of the area has nothing to do and is somewhat run down. It's not a city where you'll find actual "city folk" or something going on all the time.

VA Beach is VERY spread out, but unlike South Florida, going north to south, it's spread east to west. Getting to the coast can be a royal pain.

Traffic can be better than Miami; however, it all depends on routes you take. If you take the HRBT, expect daily 8 mile backups and plan on spending a couple hours in the car to go only a few miles.

You're not going to find VA Beach's "Resort area" to be anything more than a bunch of old motels. The nicest hotel on the beach is a Hilton. Read: there is no money here. There is no nightlife in the winter.

Safety wise you'll probably be okay. Crime is on the rise, but there's only been 8 murders in VA Beach so far this year. 36 murdered in the region. Hopefully the rest of 2011 will slow down and we don't top 70.

Personally I would stay where you are and work on improving your quality of life there. There's more opportunity and prosperity in South Florida (as hard as that might be to believe these days) and in order to have even half as good a life with a quarter of as many things to do, you'll need to work twice as long and three times as hard.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,521,759 times
Quote:

This informative map was created by one of the members here at CD in Google Maps. It might help you figure out which areas you would prefer. Just click on the link in post #1 to get to the map. When the map is displayed, you can zoom in to get a better idea of the areas.

Norfolk Safety Map

Good luck.

Last edited by LilyLady; 06-20-2011 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Added a sentence

Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 109,320 times
Thanks everyone. I'd be moving for a career opportunity that will be very hard to say no to. I actually live in Brickell right now so if I could move to area that is similiar that would be the ideal situation.

everyone's posts have me slightly worried. I'm used to Miami Crime and know that as long as you avoid certain areas you should be okay.

Are there any positives to the area? Other than a once in a lifetime career opportunity - would I have much to look forward to? Are there many young professionals in the area?

ps - that map is SUPER helpful!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,571,515 times
There is no Brickell type area here.

There are young people, but not young professional people. They're very blue collar, beer pong enthusiast types.

I think the positives have been fully covered in this thread... i.e. there's few.

If your job is really a dream, the only thing I can suggest is coming up and visiting for a while... From there you can see if it'll work or not.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM

26 posts, read 124,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
There is no Brickell type area here.

There are young people, but not young professional people. They're very blue collar, beer pong enthusiast types.

I think the positives have been fully covered in this thread... i.e. there's few.

If your job is really a dream, the only thing I can suggest is coming up and visiting for a while... From there you can see if it'll work or not.
Bingo. Beer pong is one of the few things to do here, other than to go to bars and clubs. Twenty somethings in this area usually aren't educated professionals. Those that are leave the area very soon. Hampton Roads has experienced a massive brain drain in the past ten-fifteen years with most college educated young people leaving this area.

Hampton Roads is geared for older, middle aged people. There's something in the air here that encourages people to settle down, have families and get into a routine, very early. I know a few people under twenty five with three kids, massively in debt from buying a house and no higher education.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,408,096 times
I will give my advice as an educated young professional that grew up in the area and is currently well employed in the area . It is by no means Miami here in terms of nightlife, but we find plenty to do. There are festivals, concerts, and events going on pretty much every week either in Norfolk (Town Point Park) or the Oceanfront.

Festevents

Since you have mentioned a more urban environment, I will focus most of my comments on downtown Norfolk. It has some sketchy areas (as most urban environments do) but also has some nice areas that are within walking distance of nightlife, the waterfront, shopping, and a quick ferry ride to Old Towne Portsmouth. The Ghent or Freemason area seems most appropriate for what you have mentioned. There are a fair amount of young folks that are pretty actively involved in the community around there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent_(Norfolk)

http://www.altdaily.com/

There is a starter line for our light rail system that is set to open in august.

http://www.ridethetide.com/

If you are into museums and the arts, norfolk is surprisingly decent.

Seven Venues > Welcome

Chrysler Museum of Art | Norfolk, Virginia

Home*|*Norfolk Botanical Garden

There are also minor league baseball and hockey teams close by as well as a new UFL football team if you want to catch a game. Not quite as exiting as the majors, but also a whole lot cheaper.

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Norfolk Tides Homepage

Norfolk Admirals Official Website

Virginia Destroyers | UFL (http://www.ufl-football.com/virginia-destroyers - broken link)

There are numerous beaches as well.

Beach Street USA | It's all happening on Beach Street USA! Great entertainment at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Sandbridge Beach Guide - Virginia Beach, VA

Ocean View : Ocean View Beach Park - City of Norfolk, Virginia

First Landing State Park

It is by no means a world-class city nor is it what I would consider a pretentious area, the identity of the place does not smack you in the face like some other cities... but there are a lot of good things that the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area has to offer and I would suggest at least checking it out before you let 2 or 3 disgruntled folks on an internet forum sour you on the place. Especially if you have a great job bringing you here. That way you can at least make an educated decision for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area