Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 PM

109 posts, read 157,600 times

Advertisements

Portsmouth is one of the oldest and most historic cities in Virginia. Portsmouth is also one the poorest, and crime stricken area of Virginia also. You may ask yourself, What can Portsmouth offer Hampton Roads? I'll respond by saying A LOT. While Portsmouth is the smallest city in Hampton Roads it is absolutely detrimental to the growth of Hampton Roads. By the year 2030 I see a merger between Norfolk and Portsmouth and a real industrial, and trade powerhouse city emerging, ready to challenge the ranks of the east coast more predominant cities. My reasoning:

1) Obama believes in "CHANGE" for Portsmouth future. As you may have heard President Obama has pledge 27 million dollars towards Craney Island eastward expansion Obama pledges $27 million for Craney Island terminal expansion - Port Technology International. The eastward expansion project is THE MOST IMPORTANT PROJECT for Hampton Roads. Read here http://www.craneyisland.info/PDF/201...sion%20V.2.pdf. This project will anchor the Port Of Virginia as the most predominate port on the east coast. Yes, even rivaling that of NY/NJ. This project also doesn't encroach on the areas military presents, which allows both industries to coexist.

2) Obama believes in "CHANGE" for Virginia. The United States is a "MONSTER" when it come to energy consumption. The ban for off shore drilling will more than likely be lifted allowing private companies to begin drilling. If off shore drilling commences, where do you store the natural gas and oil? My answer is Craney Island the eastward expansion will only occupy a small amount of the available land on Craney Island possibly leaving enough room for refinery facilities and pipelines. Just thinking Norfolk is also home to North Americas biggest coal piers, if clean coal is really viable that should also be a added industry for a merger city but????? Clean Coal?

3) Midtown Tunnel and MLK freeway extension, and Third Crossing. http://www.hrmpo.org/MTG_AGNDS/HRTPO...ion_111710.pdf. These project are very important to both points above. Especially for traffic purposes, could you imagine being able to avoid a tunnel which is heavily used by truck traffic. The third crossing i would imagine being heavily used by trucker traffic leaving the downtown and midtown tunnels a little less congested and a lot faster. As an added bonus being able to cut across the city of Norfolk and Portsmouth to 664 when the HRBT is backed up that would be sweet.

4) A Downtown Portsmouth Renaissance? http://www.portsmouthva.gov/planning...PWS_092209.pdf. This is very important for Portsmouth future, the little waterfront city has so MUCH potential downtown. I also think this will be the most important step to a Norfolk & Portsmouth merger. A clean and new downtown will be a major selling point for Norfolk if it ever merged. It also opens more taxable land for Portsmouth. The process has some what begun already the courts are being moved in 2012 only leaving the jail to be moved. Which will more than likely be moved to a newly expanded Hampton Roads Regional jail. And in terms of a merger i could see Norfolk and Portsmouth both utilizing the regional jail which in returns open more real estate in Downtown Norfolk right on the light rail line. With a revitalized downtown, Norfolk and Portsmouth could actually boost a pretty huge downtown area. With three historic neighborhoods, countless museums, fine dining, and possibly a major tourist destination to rival the oceanfront. A couple more high end bars and night clubs wouldn't hurt either.

5) Light Rail To Portsmouth? Portsmouth sees a light-rail hub at its end of the tunnel | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com. Even though this is the longest of all long shots. I could still see it as a possibility, if Portsmouth gets the light rail we get a merger. The light rail would be the cherry on top. Imagine quickly passing between the two cities no traffic, no wait. It would absolutely make the two cities one.

6)Merger? Will merger beat the next moon landing? | Inside Business. I haven't heard much about the merger but, i'm all for it. Hopefully it comes to past and they merge. Have anybody heard any recent information on this?

In conclusion the future of HR is very much entangled in Portsmouth. While the industry will be important the most important aspect would be a merger. I believe the merger will make one central and powerful city in HR. Leaving Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Suffolk useful for only open land purposes. If the merger can be pulled off it puts pressure on all other cities to join or be left. HR has huge potential and a new era will soon be ushered in. One in which military and secondary industries will coexist. Maybe in 30 years or so this area will be a BOOM TOWN?
I haven't done much research on other cities but, maybe some of you guys can do a mock study on how your area will be changing to benefit HR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 10,557 times
Sounds exciting for Portsmouth. I'd recommend we start improving the area immediately with a little carpet bombing.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
I would bet my life that no city around here will merge with another for YEARS. Not 19-20 years, but 200+ years.

There is no way Portsmouth and Norfolk will merge, none.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:18 PM

56 posts, read 103,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_R View Post
By the year 2030 I see a merger between Norfolk and Portsmouth and a real industrial, and trade powerhouse city emerging, ready to challenge the ranks of the east coast more predominant cities. My reasoning:
Excuse my ignorance but what will a merger of two cities accomplish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorsmommy View Post
Sounds exciting for Portsmouth. I'd recommend we start improving the area immediately with a little carpet bombing.
You don't mean that in literal terms do you?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 PM

It would benefit Portsmouth more a merger more money for schools, possibly lower city taxes,sharing of services fire departments etc etc.......Norfolk could possibly benefit from moving services such as jails and court systems over to Portsmouth opening up more Downtown for development, and also tax revenue from marine terminals and more funding from state for a larger population. Also working under one governing body would allow things to get done without the bickering between city politicians. If Portsmouth downtown is actually revitalized maybe marketing the two downtown areas as one large downtown. Norfolk has more developmental experience possibly help Portsmouth with that. Also the possibility of sharing mass transit such as free express buses between the two downtown areas and light rail.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I would bet my life that no city around here will merge with another for YEARS. Not 19-20 years, but 200+ years.

There is no way Portsmouth and Norfolk will merge, none.
Why wouldn't they merge? The merge is very plausible.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_R View Post
Portsmouth is one of the oldest and most historic cities in Virginia. Portsmouth is also one the poorest, and crime stricken area of Virginia also. You may ask yourself, What can Portsmouth offer Hampton Roads? I'll respond by saying A LOT. While Portsmouth is the smallest city in Hampton Roads it is absolutely detrimental to the growth of Hampton Roads. By the year 2030 I see a merger between Norfolk and Portsmouth and a real industrial, and trade powerhouse city emerging, ready to challenge the ranks of the east coast more predominant cities. My reasoning:

1) Obama believes in "CHANGE" for Portsmouth future. As you may have heard President Obama has pledge 27 million dollars towards Craney Island eastward expansion Obama pledges $27 million for Craney Island terminal expansion - Port Technology International. The eastward expansion project is THE MOST IMPORTANT PROJECT for Hampton Roads. Read here http://www.craneyisland.info/PDF/201...sion%20V.2.pdf. This project will anchor the Port Of Virginia as the most predominate port on the east coast. Yes, even rivaling that of NY/NJ. This project also doesn't encroach on the areas military presents, which allows both industries to coexist.

2) Obama believes in "CHANGE" for Virginia. The United States is a "MONSTER" when it come to energy consumption. The ban for off shore drilling will more than likely be lifted allowing private companies to begin drilling. If off shore drilling commences, where do you store the natural gas and oil? My answer is Craney Island the eastward expansion will only occupy a small amount of the available land on Craney Island possibly leaving enough room for refinery facilities and pipelines. Just thinking Norfolk is also home to North Americas biggest coal piers, if clean coal is really viable that should also be a added industry for a merger city but????? Clean Coal?

3) Midtown Tunnel and MLK freeway extension, and Third Crossing. http://www.hrmpo.org/MTG_AGNDS/HRTPO...ion_111710.pdf. These project are very important to both points above. Especially for traffic purposes, could you imagine being able to avoid a tunnel which is heavily used by truck traffic. The third crossing i would imagine being heavily used by trucker traffic leaving the downtown and midtown tunnels a little less congested and a lot faster. As an added bonus being able to cut across the city of Norfolk and Portsmouth to 664 when the HRBT is backed up that would be sweet.

4) A Downtown Portsmouth Renaissance? http://www.portsmouthva.gov/planning...PWS_092209.pdf. This is very important for Portsmouth future, the little waterfront city has so MUCH potential downtown. I also think this will be the most important step to a Norfolk & Portsmouth merger. A clean and new downtown will be a major selling point for Norfolk if it ever merged. It also opens more taxable land for Portsmouth. The process has some what begun already the courts are being moved in 2012 only leaving the jail to be moved. Which will more than likely be moved to a newly expanded Hampton Roads Regional jail. And in terms of a merger i could see Norfolk and Portsmouth both utilizing the regional jail which in returns open more real estate in Downtown Norfolk right on the light rail line. With a revitalized downtown, Norfolk and Portsmouth could actually boost a pretty huge downtown area. With three historic neighborhoods, countless museums, fine dining, and possibly a major tourist destination to rival the oceanfront. A couple more high end bars and night clubs wouldn't hurt either.

5) Light Rail To Portsmouth? Portsmouth sees a light-rail hub at its end of the tunnel | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com. Even though this is the longest of all long shots. I could still see it as a possibility, if Portsmouth gets the light rail we get a merger. The light rail would be the cherry on top. Imagine quickly passing between the two cities no traffic, no wait. It would absolutely make the two cities one.

6)Merger? Will merger beat the next moon landing? | Inside Business. I haven't heard much about the merger but, i'm all for it. Hopefully it comes to past and they merge. Have anybody heard any recent information on this?

In conclusion the future of HR is very much entangled in Portsmouth. While the industry will be important the most important aspect would be a merger. I believe the merger will make one central and powerful city in HR. Leaving Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Suffolk useful for only open land purposes. If the merger can be pulled off it puts pressure on all other cities to join or be left. HR has huge potential and a new era will soon be ushered in. One in which military and secondary industries will coexist. Maybe in 30 years or so this area will be a BOOM TOWN?
I haven't done much research on other cities but, maybe some of you guys can do a mock study on how your area will be changing to benefit HR.

You say Obama supports Portsmouth, but I'll bet you 5$ he couldn't find it on a map without being told it's location in advance.

I also doubt Portsmouth, Norfolk or any other of the 7 cities will merge. They are all too different, and each has their own agenda.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM

135 posts, read 390,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorsmommy View Post
Roflcopter!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area