Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM

52 posts, read 243,487 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on unemployment in Williamsburg? I notice the city-data page indicates its almost 50%. Quite high.

Also, my husband and I are considering moving to Williamsburg and are interested in the Queen's Lake area. Can anyone comment? We are looking for a house in the $300-400k range. Minimum 4 bedrooms with at least 1/2 acre. We would also like to be close to W&M and CW. We are also interested in areas close to the college any recommendations? No kids and we are looking for a fairly quite area.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM

59 posts, read 467,914 times
Williamsburg is more residential than anything. People who live thier either commute to Richmond to work or come to the Norfolk, Virgina Beach area where most of the jobs are. The unemployment rate is high for that area because, beside Busch Gardens, and a handful of other companies, people have to trave quite a ways to work. For the money that you are spending on property I would look into the Hickory, section of Chesapeake, it's far enough, but close enough for city living. This is also the area where you can still get a new construction home and still get alittle bit of property. Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM

142 posts, read 565,174 times
The Williamsburg area had an unemployment rate of approximately 5.1 percent in December of 2006, cited from The Flat Hat: Following national trends, Williamsburg unemployment falls. I think the 50% is quite high, however, if it is true, it is probably because Williamsburg is a very popular retirement area. Williamsburg is also known as one of the most affluent areas in Hampton Roads and Virginia as a whole. I would highly recommend that area, especially James City County. Lots of new housing, however, they're mostly high-quality and expensive. The Queens Lake area is very nice, it's an established community with leafy streets and very large lots in the York County portion of the Williamsburg area. It's generally safe, and it's zoned to Magruder Elementary, Queens Lake Middle, and Bruton High. Those are pretty good schools, and York County schools in general are very good. All I have to say is Williamsburg is very beautiful and tranquil, but convenient to Newport News/Va Beach and Richmond.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM

142 posts, read 565,174 times
I forgot to mention, in addition to retirees, the college kids add to the unemployment. Also, Williamsburg City is very small, but it contains some poor folks, while James City County surrounds it and is generally wealthy. If you see a population figure of around 11,900 it's referring only to the city, while James City and York both have large swaths of Williamsburg addresses with alot more people.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM

52 posts, read 243,487 times
Thanks for the replies. We definately don't like cookie cutter new development so an older, established neighborhood sounds better.

Anybody know about Indigo Park, I think its called. Near the college?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,686 times
be careful in the Queens Lake area my husband is a contractor and he says there is a lot of mold in the area..lots of trees and not much sunshine get through

Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,686 times
I forgot to say we live here and love it here

Old 09-16-2007, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 20,607 times
my wife and i are considering a move to the williamsburg area, i think we prefer something in williamsburg but would not be opposed to nnn area.
we are in the tampa area, crime is very bad, we are renting here but cant deceide on to rent or buy?
looking for something laid back and peaceful

Old 09-16-2007, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 20,607 times
forgot to mention, no kids so we dont have to look at a certain school area

Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,958,133 times
WHat price range would you consider ? What are you looking for in a home & neighborhood ? If you tell me I can make some suggestions .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area