Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 PM

148 posts, read 369,397 times

Advertisements

Went to the beach today, it sure has been awhile since I was down that way.

I absolutely loved it. Lots of cool people everywhere and the water was nice. Sure it is not clear, but it is warm and fun to swim around in. Great weather today too until the storms rolled through.

Do any of you like the beach and if so, any cool spots to check out?

Happy 4th all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:04 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,042,101 times
I do like the beach and the boardwalk very much, just not at this time of year.

I'll wait to visit until the fall (like October). There are just too many people / too much traffic / too expensive to be enjoyable. I like it much better when the prices come back down and the crowds are a bit thinner. My husband requires the use of a wheelchair and it's just so much easier on both of us when I'm not dodging people to keep from hitting them with the chair.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:56 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,607,929 times
So many beaches to choose from, we are fortunate. Just in VB there is:

Chicks beach - relaxing on the bay, warmer water
First Landing Park - Bay access on one side, bike trails, kayaking, hiking on the other
North End - Chill locals beach (as long as you can find parking)
VB Oceanfront - Tourist trap with good restaurants scattered around. Great walking, biking, and people watching
Croatan - Surf beach tucked away in a neighborhood.
Sandbridge - Quiet, clean, and relaxed. VB's version of the outer banks. Top notch fishing, good kayaking on back bay, and great farmers markets on the way there to stop and pick up some fresh fruit to throw in your cooler.

There are even more options if you can get on base, but not everyone has that privilege.

I mostly stay away from the strip during tourist season, but it is fun to take my cruiser down there and watch the people go by from time to time.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM

32 posts, read 92,603 times
We have been hanging at First Landing more and more. We hang out at the beach for a few hours, bike the trails and hit the picnic area. Nice quiet spot.

Ocean Front is still awesome, but it does get a bit nuts this time of year.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,590 times
Sandbridge is definitely my favorite. It's so peaceful and definitely feels like you're in the Outer Banks. The best part is that you really don't find many tourists down that way. Definitely a great place for photos as well!

I'm fairly new to the area (moved to Virginia Beach a year ago) and haven't yet been to First Landing Park. I hear it's really nice but you have to pay to park. Is there anywhere free nearby where you can park and just walk to the park?

I also hear that Knotts Island is pretty cool, they have some vineyards and you can take a free ferry from there to Currituck. Definitely something I plan on doing this summer!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM

57 posts, read 221,590 times
The beach (save the coastal water pollution) and boardwalk are awesome. The city has also done a great job with the outdoor venues. The whole 31st street area around Catch 31 is very cool.

I just wish the other side of Atlantic (and the whole of Pacific) were up to par. Half of it is corporatized, and even the individual enterpreneurs don't think about opening a quality place. Stuff a t-shirt shop full of junk from China or try to have the lowest quality food for maximum profit for tourists. You can count the good places to eat on one hand.

Sad when places like Christmas Attic, Phil's Grill and Jewish Mother move out/close down and another Sunsations and pseudo-food place (like that hideous thing at 21st and Atlantic) opens up.
This kind of prime real estate deserves a little more thoughtfulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: