U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 PM

528 posts, read 240,062 times

Advertisements

My 10th grade English teacher (it may have been math?) was a waitress at Rogue's Gallery. Very distracting for a horny 15 year old what with the short skirts and all. We had other teachers who worked there, Peabody's and Peppermint. Do teachers now do that at night and weekends?

I saw The Who at the dome - which was actually named after Alan B. Shepard.

My first job was at The Puritan Restaurant on 19th and Atlantic. Worked all hours and rode the 'Jitney' as far north as it would go and walked the rest of the way. Early early mornings (or late late nights), the owners of the clubs mentioned above would sit around flip coins or play poker for $100's. Pretty exciting for a 16 year old in the 60's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post

I was remembering another cool, old, defunct regional chain that was in '80s Hampton Roads.. K & K Toys. There used to be one in Pembroke (no ?), and @ the Hilltop Shopping Center (the corner where Subway & Game Stop are located now). I think they used to have red carpeting all throughout their stores that employees were constantly vacuuming. I found a shot online from an old Carolina location..
I remember the Marines doing Toys for Tots at the K & K toys.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,893,697 times
So what is the "Jitney"?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
So what is the "Jitney"?
It was a small open air shuttle that ran up and down Atlantic Ave during the summer - maybe up to 40th street. A couple of benches, fringed cloth 'roof'. It probably cost a quarter but I don't remember. I hadn't thought about it in many years so my memory may be off some.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 AM

2,016 posts, read 1,232,819 times
Big Star (grocery stores).. early 80s.

Anyone remember, Big Star used to run a horse-racing tv promotion. You got some kind of card where you had winners from the individual races.. And then they'd broadcast the races (which I think were re-runs from tracks like Aqueduct & Hollywood Park, etc). If your horse was the winner, u could go in and collect some kind of cash, or grocery prizes (?) It was cool.

I was looking at a scan of a late '70s yellow pages. It contained listings for a Hilltop, Chic's Beach (@ Shore & Pleasure House), VB Blvd/Birchwood, and a few other Big Star locations.. I know the Birchwood Big Star morphed into the present Food Lion.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:54 AM

12,613 posts, read 5,795,883 times
Quote:

Anyone remember, Big Star used to run a horse-racing tv promotion. You got some kind of card where you had winners from the individual races.. And then they'd broadcast the races (which I think were re-runs from tracks like Aqueduct & Hollywood Park, etc). If your horse was the winner, u could go in and collect some kind of cash, or grocery prizes (?) It was cool.

I was looking at a scan of a late '70s yellow pages. It contained listings for a Hilltop, Chic's Beach (@ Shore & Pleasure House), VB Blvd/Birchwood, and a few other Big Star locations.. I know the Birchwood Big Star morphed into the present Food Lion.
When we first moved to the states, I remember the Big Star, we shopped at the one on Pleasure House and Independence, at Robbins Corner. I think it's a 7-11 now.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:30 PM

862 posts, read 912,213 times
Quote:

I am pretty sure that was called "Let's Go To The Races". This is the first I heard of this being aired in Hampton Roads though I am not surprised. DC/Baltimore had this show on WTTG channel 5. In their case it was sponsored by Grand Union and the host was Alan Hamel ( the husband of Suzanne Somers ).

Old 03-31-2015, 06:28 PM

And the race for the big money was always nose-to-nose with (surprise) the other horse winning after a 2 minute review of the photo finish.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM

2,016 posts, read 1,232,819 times
Quote:
small theater in that Hilltop shopping complex. It's now the free-standing pet store in the Kmart parking lot..
Just saw that Kmart @ Hilltop is closing.

Anyone remember the tv series The New Detectives (?) It was produced by New Dominion Pictures, and filmed in & around Hampton Roads, mid/late '90s. It was a cool series, that's up on Netflix now.
Anyways, saw a scene from Season 1, episode 29 (Mind Hunters) that was filmed in the old version of that Hilltop shopping center. At the 25 minute mark, you can see the old parking lot w/the vintage strip mall in the background. They change camera angles and u can see the First Colonial Wendy's back there. & then in a scene w/the killer driving away, u see the signs for First Colonial's '44' ramp (pre-264 era).
Shogun's been in that strip mall forever, same w/the post office.. most of the other tenants have turned over. There was a health food store in there for a while too, mid 90s..

Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 PM

18 posts, read 19,498 times
I remember back when we'd go into Zero's Mr. Submarine at 21 street after swimming at the beach. You can be so soaked with no shirt and shoes on and you will still get your Zero's cheesesteak sub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area