Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 04:10 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Anybody remember around 1987, there was a Brunswick bowling alley near present day S. Plaza Trail & VB Blvd. Basically where PetSmart is located.. In the same strip mall was a spot called the Sharks Club (?).
Anybody remember Sharks.. or go in there. I assume it was like a private club, or similar to a Moose Lodge type organization. I think @ the time, that part of the street was still North Plaza Trail..
Vaguely...was that where Smackwater Jacks later moved into? I know the Alley was raised to make room for the Pier One and that center are now, iirc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:44 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
...was that where Smackwater Jacks later moved into? I know the Bowling Alley was raised to make room for the Pier One and that center are now..
Smackwater Jack's was in the old Princess Anne Plaza (where Harris Teeter & Chanellos are located..)
The PetSmart would be closest to where the Brunswick bowling alley was. But PetSmart faces VB Blvd, the alley & Sharks Club were in the arm of the defunct strip mall that faced N. Plaza Trail..
The strip mall that had the bowling alley also had a True Value hardware store.. Think that strip mall was remodeled in the early 90s & eventually bulldozed..
Seems like Long John Silvers is one of the only businesses that's survived all the changes @ Princess Anne Plaza(s).
Roses, Highs, Brunswick bowling alley, Gene Walters Marketplace, True Value, Plaza Barber Shop, Olan Mills.. memories now.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,838 times
Default I Remember When

I remember when the boys and girls club on Adams avenue in Newport News was the girls club back in the 80s. I lived in the apartment complex right across the street called the Garden View Apartments in 1983. It was only for a few months while we waited for military housing. I’m wondering if anyone else lived in that area or same complex at that time.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:52 PM

28 posts, read 44,400 times
Does anyone remember "Duck Inn" restaurant in VA Beach? I went there years ago when visiting the area, and found out it closed a while back.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelnomad View Post
Does anyone remember "Duck Inn" restaurant in VA Beach? I went there years ago when visiting the area, and found out it closed a while back.
Closed years ago, land bought up and condos were incoming.

Many friday nights down on the beach, spending Duck Bucks, having a good time. One of the best views of the bay.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelnomad View Post
Yeah.. Like FFX stated, the vacated land was bought up & eventually developed. The units are practically in the water, they squeezed a lot of condos on a small patch of beach. And the (aging) Lesner bridge started getting rebuilt/enlarged around the same time (circa 2015). It's a crowded spot there now..

FFX also mentioned good weekend partying there back in the day.. in the 90s Duck Inn also hosted a weekly, weekday party (think it was Wed evening ?). Good times, & it was a much better view of the beach before the Lesner remodel, etc.

Rest in peace Duck Inn..

Old 07-14-2018, 12:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I remember when my Newport News neighborhood (near Sanford Elementary) was out in the country and I used to ride my bike just a few blocks away to the river - and there was a little trail with wildflowers on either side. I would drop my bike and climb in a little boat us kids had down there and I'd lay in the bottom of it and just float gently through the reeds. I have great memories of living there in the 1970s.

I've visited the area several times recently and the neighborhood is holding up well, though there are newer neighborhoods all around it now. Sanford Elementary is still there too. It seemed so huge when I was going there!

Here are before and after pictures of the house I lived in as a kid. To this day, even though I love living in Texas, Virginia is absolutely my favorite state and that area is my favorite region. In fact, my husband and I just visited the area again a few weeks ago and as usual, I loved meandering down memory lane!
Attached Thumbnails
I remember when...-house-virginia-1970-so.jpg   I remember when...-house-newport-news-today.jpg  

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-14-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I remember when my Newport News neighborhood (near Sanford Elementary) was out in the country and I used to ride my bike just a few blocks away to the river - and there was a little trail with wildflowers on either side. I would drop my bike and climb in a little boat us kids had down there and I'd lay in the bottom of it and just float gently through the reeds. I have great memories of living there in the 1970s.

I've visited the area several times recently and the neighborhood is holding up well, though there are newer neighborhoods all around it now. Sanford Elementary is still there too. It seemed so huge when I was going there!

Here are before and after pictures of the house I lived in as a kid. To this day, even though I love living in Texas, Virginia is absolutely my favorite state and that area is my favorite region. In fact, my husband and I just visited the area again a few weeks ago and as usual, I loved meandering down memory lane!
Very cool post (& photos).
I lived on the Peninsula as a kid..

Old 07-14-2018, 05:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Very cool post (& photos).
I lived on the Peninsula as a kid..
Thank you!

I loved our years in Virginia - they really left a lifetime impression on me and a love of American and British history. And the beach...always the beach...and rivers and creeks, etc. My husband is from Texas and every time we go to the Hampton Roads area he always remarks about how much water there is everywhere.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you!

I loved our years in Virginia - they really left a lifetime impression on me and a love of American and British history. And the beach...always the beach...and rivers and creeks, etc. My husband is from Texas and every time we go to the Hampton Roads area he always remarks about how much water there is everywhere.

You can't go anywhere without hitting water. I've often wondered why there isn't a water taxi service besides that of Portsmouth to Waterside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area