Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You don't even need to be driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
You have no hope, It's very apparent you just go how fast YOU want to go without any regard for the set limit or the safety of the people around you. Everybody speeds a little. But not like that. Expect to loose you license for a while. Which you deserve to.
Oh give it a rest, both of you.

She obviously knows what she did was wrong and there will be consequences.

If VA wasn't so behind the times and the majority of the drivers here weren't such slow bumpkins this would be a non-issue.

The speeds in HR are kept artificially low to generate revenue. Drivers in other states go much faster than 55 or 60 MPH and it's not the end of the world. Heck, even drivers IN VA have 70 MPH speed limits outside of HR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Amen. I'm 64 years old, and I can't count the number of dumb things I did when I was 18 (or 25, or 35 for that matter) ... people have shown me mercy in my life (more than I deserved), and I am grateful for those kindnesses; and the least those of us who claim to be "wise adults" can do is remember what it was like to be that age, and cut the girl some slack. I pray the judge will do the same.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM

203 posts, read 476,894 times
Hate to say it, but once you receive a reckless ticket as an adult, it will always be on your record unless you have all the records expunged. Even if you are found not guilty, it still shows up as getting the ticket and then the outcome. I would suggest an attorney, especially for the 2nd ticket. I know many judges in Va Beach have access to a computer that allows them to look up your JV record on driving and many do check it.
As for driving, it's much better to arrive a few minutes late than take the chance on hurting yourself or someone else by driving that fast. I can't tell you the times I've heard a driver say how sorry they are after an accident that was caused by excessive speed where someone gets hurt or killed.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 31,084 times
I will be hiring a lawyer for my 2nd reckless ticket but do i need a lawyer for my juvenile reckless driving ticket? What are thoughts?

Also can anyone recommend a lawyer/firm

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcpuma View Post
I will be hiring a lawyer for my 2nd reckless ticket but do i need a lawyer for my juvenile reckless driving ticket? What are thoughts?

Also can anyone recommend a lawyer/firm
I'd have a lawyer for both if I were you. Just because you were ticketed when you were 17 doesn't mean that they can't attempt to try you as an adult. Especially considering how close you were to being 18 and then receiving the second ticket not too long after that.

Both of these tickets are not just traffic violations (6-point offenses), but Class 1 Misdemeanors as well. Around here, the penalty for reckless driving is up to one year in jail, license being suspended for up to six months, and/or up to $2,500 in fines. Should also mention that reckless driving violations will remain on your permanent record for 11 years.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcpuma View Post
Thanks a lot and yes im on their insurance. I know i made some bad mistakes but these tickets are a first for me and up to this point in time i have never done anything so bad before
I don't think a clean record counts if you have only had your license a few months...

I would ask the lawyer if there is a chance you would be able to try again with a clean record if you surrender your license for a year, take driving classes, spend some time volunteering in a hospital helping accident victims,
save money to pay for your attorney, and mature some .

My kids would not have had a license after the first ticket.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:26 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
Hate to say it, but once you receive a reckless ticket as an adult, it will always be on your record unless you have all the records expunged.
There's usually a time period after which you can apply to get a charge expunged, and around here it's going to cost several hundred dollars to do so. But things will vary from state to state. As many people are saying in this thread, best approach for the OP is to get a lawyer who can advise her on her options. Here's a blog post I found on expungement of reckless driving tickets in VA:

http://homillerlaw.typepad.com/crimi...ng_with_a.html

Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Welcome to VA. People here drive super slow, and do not know how to drive for anything. If you know a mechanic, have him write a receipt saying that you have defective equipment and then show this to the judge. It will help a lot.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,580 times
Gotta love Virginia. Most of the speed limits around here are too low! I took a trip to the outlet mall at the beginning of the summer, and it was my first time up 64 since the speed limit change. And I didn't know what to do with myself and I saw the sign say 70mph speed limit!

Though I did keep it under 80, because I didn't want to be dealing with that the OP is dealing with now.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Oh give it a rest, both of you.

If VA wasn't so behind the times and the majority of the drivers here weren't such slow bumpkins this would be a non-issue.

The speeds in HR are kept artificially low to generate revenue. Drivers in other states go much faster than 55 or 60 MPH and it's not the end of the world. Heck, even drivers IN VA have 70 MPH speed limits outside of HR!
Give yourself a rest if you like, but this is a public forum, dude. The OP asked for opinions.

58 in a 35 is insane. Anyone going that speed is paying absolutely NO attention to anything other than their own desire to get where they are going. To do the same stupid thing, 4 months later, is impossible to excuse, period. Behind the times my @ss. The speed limit is the speed limit. It doesn't matter what YOU think the limit should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area