Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,975,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbggolfhomes View Post

There was a comment about leaning left... we have all political persuasions here. I've not heard any of the more liberal population complaining about being uncomfortable here.
Agreed. I've been reading back issues of the Virginia Gazette and it seems like people from all political persuasions seem quite comfortable expressing themselves and holding events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,815,212 times
Default relatively "lower end" resident living in a "high end" community.

I totally agree....I have had this philosophy for a long time and have been able to live in some great locations and enjoyed the benefits of much more wealthy people.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,815,212 times
Default retirement income taxes

Retirement Income Taxes: A Virginia Age Deduction allows an exemption for each of the following: Each filer who is age 65 or over by January 1 may claim an additional exemption. When a married couple uses the Spouse Adjustment Tax, each spouse must claim his or her own age exemption. Each filer who is considered blind for federal income tax purposes may claim an additional exemption. When a married couple uses Spouse Adjustment Tax, each spouse must claim his or her own exemption for blindness.
Individuals who are age 64 by midnight, January 1, 2006 may claim a subtraction of $6,000 on their income tax returns. Individuals who are age 65 or over by midnight January 1, may be eligible to claim a subtraction of up to $12,000. You may not claim the age deduction if you claim the Disability Income subtraction.
Virginia law exempts Social Security and Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits from taxation. If you were required to include any of your benefits in federal adjusted gross income, subtract that amount on your Virginia return.
If you, or your spouse were born on or before January 1, 1947, you may qualify to claim an age deduction of up to $12,000 each for 2011. The age deduction you may claim will depend upon your birth date, filing status and income. If your birth date is on or before January 1, 1939, you may claim an age deduction of $12,000. If you are married, each spouse born on or before January 1, 1939, may claim a $12,000 age deduction. For individuals born after January 1, 1939, the age deduction is based on the following criteria: If your birth date is on or between January 2, 1939, and January 1, 1947, your age deduction is based on your income. A taxpayer’s income, for purposes of determining an income-based age deduction is the taxpayer’s adjusted federal adjusted gross income or “AFAGI” A taxpayer’s AFAGI is the taxpayer’s federal adjusted gross income, modified for any fixed date conformity adjustments, and reduced by any taxable Social Security and Tier 1 Railroad Benefits. For filing Status 1, Single Taxpayer, the maximum allowable age deduction of $12,000 is reduced $1 for every $1 the taxpayer’s AFAGI exceeds $50,000. For all married taxpayers whether filing jointly or separately, the maximum allowable age deduction of $12,000 each is reduced $1 for every $1 the married taxpayers’ joint AFAGI exceeds $75,000.
Retired Military Pay: Follows federal tax rules. Military retirement income received by those awarded the Medal of Honor can be subtracted from federal gross income for tax purposes.
Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before Sept. 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.
VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.
Military SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Hi love Autumn! I'm down in Williamsburg this week doing one of my "discovery tours". Some of it is pricey, but there are also some parts that aren't that expensive that seem nice to me. Especially over on the Gloucester side. I'll post photos and comments next week after I've had time to digest everything I've seen.

Just my two cents, but I actually think VA is a fairly good deal. It's not as cheap as some places in the deep south, but in the long run I think cheap places aren't always a bargain. Things seem well cared for here, there are plenty of amenities, and you don't run into the sorts of problems I've seen in other parts of the country, such as having to rely on ERs because no private care doctor will take medicare, etc. (At least, as far as I know, if someone knows differently please chime in.)

By the way, York County, James City County and Williamsburg all have tax relief programs for seniors. They have varying qualifications. Might be worth looking into.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM

35 posts, read 114,049 times
Caladium,
You have more posts here than I have EVER seen!

If you have any questions about the area while you are visiting this weekend, let me know.

Susan

Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 AM

13,340 posts, read 26,827,950 times
Quote:
Property tax rate here in Williamsburg is .54 in the City and .77 in the County. I was paying about twice that up north.
For me, the low property tax is a large positive for Williamsburg. I was just comparing retirement communities in Stafford Count with a rate of $1.08 and Spotsylvania at $.88.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Caladium,
You have more posts here than I have EVER seen!

If you have any questions about the area while you are visiting this weekend, let me know.

Susan
LOL, yes I'm a regular on one of the really active forums of city-data, where people talk with each other all day long. Believe it or not there are several who post a lot more than me!

Anyway, I do want to thank you all for being so helpful and answering my hundreds of questions. I knew relatively little about the area before this weekend and your answers literally supplied all the details we needed for a what turned out to be quite a successful research trip. I'll post a detailed report of what we found in a few days after we get back.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM

35 posts, read 114,049 times
Caladium,

I look forward to your impressions of your weekend here in Williamsburg. I think you would love being here. Most of the retirees who move here have done an extensive search, and Williamsburg has come out on top!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,894 times
Default Any Newer communities in Williamsburg within walking distance to shops

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Va from NC to be closer to grand kids. Thinking about Williamsburg since it would be about an hour from family. They live in a too rural area so moving close is not an option. Hour drive is not bad. We are active seniors and would love to find a place within walking distance of shops, grocery, cafe etc. Is there anything like that that exists in the Williamsburg area. We will be downsizing and looking for cottage or villa home. I prefer a new home with amenities.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,962,025 times
Although not an active adult community, New Town might appeal. You are within a short walk to many shops, Trader Joes, Fresh Market, Panera, Barnes & Noble, movie theaters, restaurants , fitness facilities and more. They have new arts and craft style bungalows that start around $340k . Lawns are maintained by the home owners association.

Colonial Heritage has a few of your criteria within walking distance with Williamsburg Pottery ( asst specialty shops) across the street, Au Bon Pain cafe + A restaurant in the Colonial Heritage Club. In addition it offers indoor pool, outdoor pool, fitness center, walking trails, golf course, lots of activities and social clubs within. Prices there start in the higher $200's for a new detached single level home.

Villas at Five Forks also meets a few of the criteria being walking distance to grocery store and a few shops and restaurants. It offers a clubhouse , fitness area and pool for residents. New attached one level villas there start in the $280's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area