U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of posts on this regarding schools and areas. I have a child that has had problems fitting in at Western Branch. I have another who recieves special ed for speech, language and reading. He has had problems fitting in and is going into 7th grade. How does Great Neck MS compare to Joliff MS? I can find data on schools all day long, but NOT on special ed or how they dealing with special need kids? Am I doing wrong by switching my son? We are thinking of moving around the N Great Neck Road and Shore Drive area. It seems very family friendly, bike trails, beach, runners and people walking their dogs. I worry moving there and being low end middle class. With houses being $400,000+ and cars that I have only seen in magazines. Am I making a mistake and setting them up for upset? We want our kids in good schools-Great Neck MS and Cox HS. We want our kids to have the benefits of the area and to fit it. I do not want them to be teased for being poor or not being good enough. Am I wrong to think that? We just moved from Michigan a year ago.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:22 PM

179 posts, read 434,566 times
I don't think you are wrong to worry about them being teased. It is a legitimate concern. When we were thinking of moving to NOVA last year I talked to everyone I knew in the area. Some are wealthy while others are middle class. Everyone wants good schools, and they all moved into good areas, but the ones who were not wealthy and had moved their families into rentals in wealthy school zones did have some issues with their kids feeling left out. Their kids had friends planning fancy trips on Spring Break and big summer outings to Europe and all over, they of course couldn't do those things. Big huge birthday parties and new exotic cars at 16.... it's a different lifestyle.

Now that said there isn't as much of a divide in the area of VaBeach that you are looking in but there is lots of money there. So I think it really depends on your kids and how they will feel. Are they very sensitive and have a harder time making friends? Some kids can make friends anywhere and will find a comfortable place while others will struggle.

I don't have any advise on SE classes but hopefully someone else will.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
you will run into lossers whereever you go--you don't need to be one!!! I deal with monied people on a daily basis (money is not the measure of class). as for special ed--that is a major category). First get an IP and if that isn't done to your satisfaction--email me--I am on the Virginia Board of Protection and Advocacy and we will get what your child needs-PRONTO!!!

GIve your children love and real security that comes from within and they will not need material showings of Love

By the way my granddaughter went to camp free this year as a counselor at 17 and my grandson who is on Social Security went to Mexico (all expenses paid)--missions trip--he has been for 3 years now and could go many places in the world as well. Use and teach your children how to get what they want with creativity--what do you think happens to those childen with money who grow up and have to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area