U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,459,094 times

Advertisements

A lot of parents no longer allow their children to Trick or Treat due to all the poisonings and razor blades in apples ...

For those that don't know, this was NEVER a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 AM

46 posts, read 93,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There are lots of silly laws that aren't enforced. Has anyone ever been arrested for it? Seems to me if you were, the DA would drop the charges since it would likely be laughed out of court as a violation of your constitutional rights.
Last Halloween was our first in VA Beach and I know for a fact I had a bunch of trick or treaters over 12 come to my door. Though I had read about the ordinance, I would have to agree that it probably isn't enforced unless some of them are getting out of hand.

My guess is that if the kids are respectful and trick or treat for the joy of doing it, no one is going to think twice about it. I can't wait. I love Halloween and our neighborhood was full of them last year!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,302,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUProf View Post
Last Halloween was our first in VA Beach and I know for a fact I had a bunch of trick or treaters over 12 come to my door. Though I had read about the ordinance, I would have to agree that it probably isn't enforced unless some of them are getting out of hand.

My guess is that if the kids are respectful and trick or treat for the joy of doing it, no one is going to think twice about it. I can't wait. I love Halloween and our neighborhood was full of them last year!
I love Halloween too. I think it's such a fun time of year. The past few years, we weren't as fortunate as you were, ODUProf. Not very many kids came around. Guess it's the neighborhood. We're kind of off the beaten path and there's not too many families with younger kids.

Happy Halloween, everybody!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,330,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUProf View Post

Agreed, I haven't seen cops patrolling around checking ID's or anything like that. I think it just gives the police some leverage in dealing with older kids that cause trouble. I have seen plenty of teens out in costume having a good time, I also see a lot of parents out in costume with their kids.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 PM

14 posts, read 31,463 times
my son was 6 foot tall in middle school and if it was said "no one over 12" he would have been too embarrassed to attempt t or t'ing. glad we had no rules where he grew up ) he was a BIG candy fan... what a great holiday for kids.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM

25 posts, read 26,660 times
I wonder if the reason for the ordinances (it's the same here in Yorktown) are because of the perception that Trick or Treating is for "kids" and parties are for the older ones? The last time I went Trick or Treating was when I lived in Ga - I was 15 or 16 and went with a group of like aged friends. By the end of the second street we had been turned down or refused candy or had to listen to rude remarks about being to old by at least 3/4 of the homes.

My oldest is 13 this year. She will take her sisters down our 2 streets. Luckily on our two streets everyone recognizes if not knows everyone else so if she's dressed up and has a bag - they won't say anything. Honestly though, if she did't have younger sisters to take around, I don't know if I would let her. I don't want her to experiance the same frustration that I did.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
Damn older kids ruined it for everyone. I would be out until 9pm 9:30ish we a, l had a blast. This just a sign of the times, parents dont parent their kids. The older kids steal candy bags, vandelize , etc. Too bad imiss the old days

Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM

177 posts, read 236,882 times
I am from NYC! In NYC and Long Island there is no age limit trick or treating. I even saw adults trick or treating when I was living in NYC! It's just another silly law just to get more money!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:25 PM

5,915 posts, read 8,816,191 times
I'm not sure if it was the cold or what but no one was out last night.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 AM

976 posts, read 1,545,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm not sure if it was the cold or what but no one was out last night.
Don't think it was the cold - we got over 100 trick-or-treaters at my mom's house in Virginia Beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area