U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,702 times

Advertisements

I will be working at Langley next month. I have done a ton of research but I still haven't talked myself out of living in VB and commuting to Langley AFB.

I know all about the backups with the HRBT and tourist traffic to the beach.

What I dont know are real drive times from VB to Langley at certain times of the day.

Google maps says its a 45 min drive. But what time in the morning would I actually have to leave VB to get to Langley in 45 mins?

And what about the drive home? Worse?

Thanks for all insight!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,473,703 times
I have a very good understanding of this commute as I make a similar one. If you are commuting to Langley you will be fine in the morning on about 90% of days, the HRBT does not back up in that direction in the morning unless there is an accident. What you will encounter sometimes is norfolk naval station traffic at the 64W/564 intersection. This is erratic as hell because they are always changing security procedures at the gates but usually not too bad unless there is a ship leaving or returning. The HOV lane is open to all traffic for all hours except for 6am - 8am so that will provide you another option if you travel outside of those hours.

The real issue is driving in the afternoon. You want to leave langley by 330 at the absolute latest... otherwise wait until about 6. The tunnel usually starts backing up around 330 but it will only cost you about 5 minutes at that point. The other benefit of leaving that early is that the HOV lane is open to all traffic except for from 4-6pm. If you can get in the HOV, you will haul ass (75mph+) all the way to 264. If there is a backup at the tunnel, you have the MMBT as an option or there are a few back ways like taking mercury to mallory that will allow you to skip a lot of traffic.

The guy I carpool with lives right by town center, if I pick him up at 615am we are at the McGruder exit by 645 on most mornings. If we leave that area around 315 we are back at town center by 345 most afternoons. That is 80% of days. Worst case it is a huge cluster**** and it takes us up to an hour maybe an hour fifteen on the worst days but average is 30 - 35 minutes from McGruder to Town Center leaving at those hours. You can also go the late route by leaving at 9am and coming home around 6. The only problem with the later route is that it gives people more chances to get in an accident.

Afternoon traffic is worse in the summer and not as bad the rest of the year. I think it is worth it, I didn't really care for living on the peninsula. Being by the beach, town center, and downtown norfolk provides a much better quality of life in my opinion. Just make sure you have a car that gets decent mileage cause you are looking at about 60 miles a day round trip. There is no way in hell I would live on the peninsula and commute to the southside, the traffic that way is consistently horrible. But southside to peninsula is actually OK if you have flexible hours and can leave pretty early or pretty late.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM

25 posts, read 29,157 times
I agree with the previous poster. Mornings will be easier unless you're leaving around 7:30-8 and also have local school traffic. It will be far worse in the afternoon. My husband works on Langley and for a while we lived in the Kempsville area of VB. He would leave the apartment around 6am and return home between 7 & 8pm. By 3:30-4 the HRBT will start backing up. If it's backed up and you hop on 664 and take the MMMBT around it will take you less time. Unless you have off working hours, I wouldn't reccomend a daily commute through either BT long term.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,791,486 times
I am an ABA in home therapist who makes the commute various hours of the day, sometimes a couple times of the day so I hope to shed additional light on your question. What thye are saying is true but it can happen at any time of the day. I have gotten used to it, unfortunately. When I am sitting in traffic I just find something to read or to work on while sitting there. I have learned to always keep something in the car to keep me occupied, a drink, and some type of snack. And I know always go to the bathroom before getting on the interstate. LOL I try and give myself at least 1.5 hr to get from one side to the other because the chances of taking only 45 minutes isn't great.
I have been considering putting a pair of headphones in my car because of the number of times I get stuck sitting by a car who assumes I enjoy their music.
I don't call it "stuck in traffic" unless it takes me more than 1.5 to get to the other side. Anything over 1.5 hr is what I consider "traffic issues."
Again, 45 minutes is doable but please don't count on it otherwise you are setting yourself up for a lot of frustration.
Oh, and gas- I commute in a paid for Dodge Neon that gets 33mpg and with my job, I fill up 3x a week. On my slow weeks where I just drive down there and back and no other driving, I just go through 2 tanks a week.
Why do you want to live in VA Beach if you are working here at Langely? Is there something specific that you must have on almost a daily basis that would require you to live there and make that commute? Schools? Yorktown has good schools. Beach? Yorktown beach is quaint and I like it (free parking). If I want VA Beach, then it is only 45-1.5 hr away. LOL Just curious.
If you do end up commuting, you will become desensitized to long commutes-"Hey let's run over to...on the other side of the water."

Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 AM

25 posts, read 29,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
If you do end up commuting, you will become desensitized to long commutes-"Hey let's run over to...on the other side of the water."
LOL - This is SO true. I've lived here 6 years (a military transplant from Atlanta most recently) and have lived on both sides of the water. I have always been surprised at the number of people I've met on both sides who just don't/won't travel to the other side. It simply amazes me when there's so much to offer on each side. I have actually met people on both sides who have lived here their entire life who have never been to the opposite shore.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:43 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,791,486 times
Really??!!! Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area