Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM

159 posts, read 531,985 times

Advertisements

I coach at Green Run and before taking the position I asked my self over and over if really wanted to coach here. I started coaching and this schools it is not bad at all. I think people stereotype predominantly black schools as being "bad". Even though there are a lot of black students there is also a considerable amount of asians, whites, and hispanics. Green Run is one of the oldest schools in the district, but its not run down. None of the 11 high schools in Virginia Beach is "bad". Of course your going to have your fights and drug dealing but thats at a lot of school all over the country. Green Run isnt bad at all. Virginia Beach as a whole isnt bad. If you look at the Green Run area none of it looks run down or like detroit in any other way. It looks like some of the good sections of norfolk and thats saying a lot. (I live in Norfolk)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 AM

23 posts, read 41,707 times
I grew up in Virginia Beach and went to K-12 at Kempsville. I no longer live there but my family does. Growing up there..I would say that every school was labeled for something. Green Run was labeled "ghetto". Why? I have no idea why it was truly labeled that way but Cox and First Colonial were considered the "rich" schools. It was also because these schools were set in wealthier neighborhoods and Cox was one of the newer largest high schools. However, Kempsville and Kellam were actually the best schools academically AT THAT TIME. Green Run was older, there were a stint of gangs that had gone through there in the past supposively, and it was right next to an older privatized military housing community with people always coming and going. The true question is if I were to move back there, would I put my kids in Green Run having lived there for 25 years? My answer to you would be No. I think knowing what I know, I would have choosen a different area to buy a house out of all the options out there and with those areas comes the lifestyle you want and the neighborhood you desire. To each their own....but I think even if you stick with Green Run...you and your children will be fine!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
None of the 11 high schools in Virginia Beach is "bad". Of course your going to have your fights and drug dealing but thats at a lot of school all over the country. Green Run isnt bad at all. Virginia Beach as a whole isnt bad. If you look at the Green Run area none of it looks run down or like detroit in any other way. It looks like some of the good sections of norfolk and thats saying a lot. (I live in Norfolk)

Looking "run down" is not exactly a prerequisite to being rough. Some of the worst neighborhoods in Virginia Beach are off Lynnhaven between Princess Anne and Virginia Beach Blvd. Twin Canal, Magic Hollow, Green Run, Plaza......none of these areas would I volunteer to live in. Outside of the Newtown area, and maybe Virginia Beach Blvd from Oceana to the beach, it is probably the roughest section in the city. Much of the area goes to Green Run.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
You have 4 high school that seem to fight for the worst school every year........They are Bayside, Salem, Green Run and Landstown.... Landstown seems to now carry the title of Va Bch's worst high school for the last year or two IMO

What's so bad about Salem?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What's so bad about Salem?

A number of rough neighborhoods do go there, but Im not sure Id put it in a bin with Bayside, Green Run and Landstown.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 31,710 times
You should check Kempsville.
Cox is where most people do cocaine and prostitute.
Tallwood,First Colonial,Green Run,and etc. are trash.
Honestly, ever school in virginia beach area isnt that great. Ill try to give you A rundown of the schools.

Kempsville is full of fighting and trash talkers and bullying.
Tallwood is full of drug users and mainly fighting.
Cox is full of slutty girls and cocaine users.
Brandon is really just A badly administrated school.
Princess Anne is your worst nightmare. Full of gangs,drug dealing and using,fighting,and bad administration.
Salem is just drugs.
Landstown is sports focused,and weird because their not good.
Kellam is mostly gangs and fighting.

This is from A 8th grader who goes to Kempsvilles perspective , your kid will always be different depending on their social group. I've never had A problem with fitting in,so itll vary.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I think every school has pros and cons, and really the most important factor in a child's education is their parents.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoahitsellz View Post
You should check Kempsville.
Cox is where most people do cocaine and prostitute.
Tallwood,First Colonial,Green Run,and etc. are trash.
Honestly, ever school in virginia beach area isnt that great. Ill try to give you A rundown of the schools.

Kempsville is full of fighting and trash talkers and bullying.
Tallwood is full of drug users and mainly fighting.
Cox is full of slutty girls and cocaine users.
Brandon is really just A badly administrated school.
Princess Anne is your worst nightmare. Full of gangs,drug dealing and using,fighting,and bad administration.
Salem is just drugs.
Landstown is sports focused,and weird because their not good.

This is from A 8th grader who goes to Kempsvilles perspective , your kid will always be different depending on their social group. I've never had A problem with fitting in,so itll vary.
I went to 4 years of Kempsville, and the worst I saw was a small amount of bullying. I saw more fights in 1 year of Larkspur middle then 4 years of Kempsville High. Then again, I graduated in 1999, so Im not sure what has happened to it since then.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 31,710 times
Yeah,Kempsville really gone down since then.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoahitsellz View Post
Since when is Kellam overrun with gangs? Kellam sits within one of the nicest districts in the whole city! I'm not sure how threatening "gangs" would be coming from the upscale neighborhoods surrounding the courthouses, and even the neighborhoods that sit on the outskirts of the district, like Red Mill Farms and Lagomar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area