U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,183,995 times

Advertisements

I love the idea of metropolitan areas growing into each other. Did not know that Richmond MSA is 1.2 million. Seems sketchy, some rather rural areas in there but that is how it is classified. Hampton Roads is basically it's own MSA, with the exception of the suburbs that are rarely counted in the figures. There doesn't seem to be that much space between the edge of Hampton Roads, and the edge of the Richmond MSA. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM

894 posts, read 2,109,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I love the idea of metropolitan areas growing into each other. Did not know that Richmond MSA is 1.2 million. Seems sketchy, some rather rural areas in there but that is how it is classified. Hampton Roads is basically it's own MSA, with the exception of the suburbs that are rarely counted in the figures. There doesn't seem to be that much space between the edge of Hampton Roads, and the edge of the Richmond MSA. Any thoughts?
The metros do border, as does DC's with Richmond. But unlike DC/Baltimore, I feel that the city cores of Norfolk and Richmond are too far from each other to ever be consolidated into one large metro. If Norflok was where Williamsburg is, then I could see it. But Williamsburg is essentially a suburb, and I also consider N. News as well, even though it is a city of over a hundred thousand. Norfolk/Portsmouth is the urban core of Hampton Roads with all the other cities surrounding it acting more like suburbs. For Richmond and Hampton Roads to be merged into a consolidated metro area would be similar to having Philadelphia and NYC being consolidated. Just because they are in each others vicinity and revolve around each other to some extent, and have metros that border doesn't constitute them ever being consolidated. Just my opinion. Totally subjective.

As far as Richmond's metro. Just between the city and it's two main urban counties of Chesterfield and Henrico, is a population of just over 800,000. The rest is rural metro. Some urban spilling into Hanover. Don't forget that in VA cities are totally independant from the counties they are in and are not included in the counties population.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 AM

67 posts, read 117,424 times
I think soon Norfolk and Richmond will seem a lot closer once the Railroad station is finished.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,183,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
The metros do border, as does DC's with Richmond. But unlike DC/Baltimore, I feel that the city cores of Norfolk and Richmond are too far from each other to ever be consolidated into one large metro. If Norflok was where Williamsburg is, then I could see it. But Williamsburg is essentially a suburb, and I also consider N. News as well, even though it is a city of over a hundred thousand. Norfolk/Portsmouth is the urban core of Hampton Roads with all the other cities surrounding it acting more like suburbs. For Richmond and Hampton Roads to be merged into a consolidated metro area would be similar to having Philadelphia and NYC being consolidated. Just because they are in each others vicinity and revolve around each other to some extent, and have metros that border doesn't constitute them ever being consolidated. Just my opinion. Totally subjective.

As far as Richmond's metro. Just between the city and it's two main urban counties of Chesterfield and Henrico, is a population of just over 800,000. The rest is rural metro. Some urban spilling into Hanover. Don't forget that in VA cities are totally independant from the counties they are in and are not included in the counties population.
39 of the cities in Virginia are independent, and there are only 42 independent cities in America. I would like to see more going on in NN, it definitely has the makeup of a true city, but lacks the activity. You go downtown you feel you are in Detroit or something. I like the Philadelphia/NYC analogy; the cities are about that far away from each other as well (Richmond and Norfolk)

Old 09-17-2012, 12:51 AM

149 posts, read 240,182 times
hampton roads and richmong are pretty much one metro. i would say the peninsula is almost as close to richmond as it is to norfolk or the southside. excluding the parts of the peninsula that are right by the tunnel. i would say the peninsula is almost as close to richmond as it is to the southside. tunnel is a good barrier. traffic flow is easier than richmond. williamsburg is not really hampton roads nor richmond but kind of both. pretty much williamsburg is the gateway to hampton roads or richmond depending where u going, but williamsburg people defintly get to richmond faster than to norfolk. richmond and the peninsula are kind of merged and the peninsula and southside are a little more merged. beside the military there isnt really that much difference between richmond and hampton roads. hampton roads is a little more like north carolina. pretty much richmond area is hampton roads without the military with a slight stronger dc influence, thats pretty much the difference with every other thing being the same. looking on the map will show u that hampton roads is mainly 2 area while richmond is one. also looking on a map will show that richmond is at the end of the peninsula. i mean newport news is a good example, anybody who lives there know its really not one city. downtown newport news is way more like the southside, hampton as well while denbigh part of newport news are as connected to williamsburg asthey are to downtown newport news. upper part of newport news, york county, james city county, gloucster, williamsburg, are really hybrid areas i mean new kent county is richmond and its litterally the same as james city county in certain area. the south side especially away from norfolk is pretty similar to north carolina as is the whole hampton roads and richmond but richmond has more dc influence and slang at least the blacks do while beside the military the blacks in hampton roads especially the ones from here sound similar to blacks in north carolina.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 AM

275 posts, read 823,282 times
There was light discussion about making it happen, but nothing more than that. At the VB arena proposal last month, they actually included Richmond as part of the fanbase, noting that Richmond people drive down to the Amphitheater for concerts, and could do the same for a potential game or indoor concert.

Honestly, with Richmond being the capital, I think it could help HR get more money for road projects and the 3rd crossing that's so badly needed. The airports would need to be expanded as well, so being part of the same metro would help tremendously. With the way VDOT mishandled the bridge and tunnel closings over the weekend, another crossing is needed immediately.

I agree the high-speed rail will help make the two metros seem closer. I just think more civilization would be needed north of Williamsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area