U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 AM

46 posts, read 73,016 times

Advertisements

Thanks for advance for reading this.
My girlfriend and I have been vacationing in the VB area for years. We are both nearing/enjoying retirement. It’s just us. (With an occasional grandkid visiting) and are considering moving from Western PA to the HR area.
I retired from computers last year, my girlfriend is a few years younger and works full time as a Senior Ortho Nurse. Looking for jobs would be something we would need to do.
We both prefer simple. The boozing days are gone, but we are not dead; we love walking, bike trails, and the Heritage Store. The ideal would be closer to the beach, and thinking of later years, reasonable access to shopping / medical facilities. We are handy, so looking for a house needing some TLC is not beyond our abilities. Our favorite area so far is by First Landing State Park. We love walking on the beach, especially Chick’s Beach by the Bridge Tunnel.
Years ago I did computer engineering work installing IBM RISC (RS/6000) systems for PharMor drug stores in southern VA, that was 18 years ago and I’m sure things have changed.
I don’t know if we could afford buy in Virginia Beach (you can buy awfully nice older homes in Pittsburgh for under $100k), areas of Norfolk (especially around Ocean View sound interesting but need to have it reasonably “safe”. I know nothing about Hampton, NN, Suffolk or Chesapeake, or for that matter North Carolina.
I’m willing to admit my ignorance, there are probably tons of areas that would work but we can only do so much with Goggle and guessing.
Appreciate anything you could share.
Tony.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisk View Post
My girlfriend and I have been vacationing in the VB area for years. We are both nearing/enjoying retirement. It’s just us. (With an occasional grandkid visiting) and are considering moving from Western PA to the HR area.
I retired from computers last year, my girlfriend is a few years younger and works full time as a Senior Ortho Nurse. Looking for jobs would be something we would need to do.
We both prefer simple. The boozing days are gone, but we are not dead; we love walking, bike trails, and the Heritage Store. The ideal would be closer to the beach, and thinking of later years, reasonable access to shopping / medical facilities. We are handy, so looking for a house needing some TLC is not beyond our abilities. Our favorite area so far is by First Landing State Park. We love walking on the beach, especially Chick’s Beach by the Bridge Tunnel.
Years ago I did computer engineering work installing IBM RISC (RS/6000) systems for PharMor drug stores in southern VA, that was 18 years ago and I’m sure things have changed.
I don’t know if we could afford buy in Virginia Beach (you can buy awfully nice older homes in Pittsburgh for under $100k), areas of Norfolk (especially around Ocean View sound interesting but need to have it reasonably “safe”. I know nothing about Hampton, NN, Suffolk or Chesapeake, or for that matter North Carolina.
I’m willing to admit my ignorance, there are probably tons of areas that would work but we can only do so much with Goggle and guessing.
Tony.
I would say look for a place near First Landing State Park off shore drive, get a condo by the water and enjoy all of the amenities of having a beach and great hiking trails right there. Another option would be near Red Mill Commons. Virginia Beach is a lot more expensive that Pittsburgh, don't expect to find anything aside from a condo or townhouse in a sketchy area for 100k.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,389,006 times
Quote:
Tony.
Honestly I would not choose to retire in Virginia Beach (or Virginia for that matter) as it is not a very retirement friendly area/state which is why I left...But back to your question. Sure you love the Chicks Beach area, problem is so does everyone else. The Chicks beach area is right smack in the middle of the highest price real estate in all of VaBch. Even after the housing crash I think the average single family house sold today in that zip code is still around a half a million bucks.

Not to say you could not find a smaller condo somewhere around that area for a 100-200K but as far as a single family home....Sorry not going to happen, the lots by themself in that area that the houses sit on are worth anywhere from 100K to over a million bucks depending on their location......Its all a supply and demand game and the demand for that area is higher then the suppy of houses so the prices sky rocket even in this poor market

The Ocean View area is a high crime area and I would not suggest it, you will hear people say "well OV is an up and coming area, well people have been saying that for 30 years so I'm not sure where its coming from but it must be a very long trip because its still a long way from getting there...Sure the crime is not as bad as it once was but it is still a very high crime area compared to other cities in the area.
Problem is, any place on/around water is going to demand a much higher price in the Hampton Roads area

Last edited by rtandc; 11-15-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM

404 posts, read 1,046,219 times
100k at the Oceanfront is almost impossible especially around First Landing. That area is PRIME Real Estate, one of the most coveted areas in Hampton Roads. For 100k you maybe able to find a condo/townhome or a foreclosure/shortsale more inland parts of VA Beach towards Chesapeake. It'll take you around 10-15 mins drive to get to the Oceanfront.

If you go south to Myrtle Beach you can find new single family homes for 100k. It's crazy how low real estate is there. It's much like Virginia Beach minus the military/gov't presence which accounts for VA Beach's more expensive real estate. Myrtle Beach relies strictly on summer tourism which doesn't provide many high paying jobs.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Thank you for all your comments.
Maybe if we lived there it would not be as special.
Tony,

Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM

659 posts, read 1,036,085 times
It is very expensive to live anywhere in the HR area that is nice...sure you can find cramped condos for under 200 grand but you may not like your neighbors...we moved back to ugh cause living on 80 grand a year was not enough, we had crack dealers and hookers in our hood and wanted better for our child...unless youhave say 300 to spend on a home...I would stay put in my opinion.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,699,740 times
Quote:
Tony.
You might find a foreclosure/fixer upper for $100k in Virginia Beach. Not a very large property. Money might go a lot further in Suffolk though.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,984 times
Hello Tony,
I sell real estate in the Hampton Roads area and live off of Shore Drive near the Lesner Bridge. There are condo Duplexes selling in the Low $300's. Highrise Condos, Quad Condos, and Townhouses can be found for under $300k. I love it here but could also suggest the Outer Banks area of North Carolina. I just returned from there this morning. My parents and Aunt and Uncle live there and it is my home away from home. Good luck in your search and let me know if I can help in any way. Jen

Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,350,831 times
Chick's Beach is nice, as is the North End of the Oceanfront. But don't rule out Norfolk's bay-front neighborhoods. East Ocean View, West Ocean View, and Willoughby Spit have a lot to offer, in my opinion. I think the beaches are just as nice and they're usually less crowded. And all three neighborhoods have done a lot to clean themselves up in recent years, and I can imagine they'll only get better. Willoughby and West OV are probably "better" than East OV, but I'd seriously give them all a chance. I'd live in any of them.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Folks thanks again for responding to this thread.

Goofy328, I'm going to have to research Suffok as 100K would probally be the top end of what we could do. Thanks for the info Jen, WNDCHIMES as you are from Pgh you'll appreciate we live at the Monroeville / Murrysville junction. xGrendelx I know crime can vary considerably from block to bloc, we have that in Pittsburgh. I would not want to risk exposing my girlfriend or the grand kid to problems. The good thing about Pittsburgh is we went through the recession hell of the late 70's and 80's so when the rest of the country shot up in real estate Pittsburgh stayed cheap (relatively). I remember when they first starting building the condos just behind the McDonald's up near N. Great Neck road back in the late eighties I thought " Man, they will never get the prices they are asking", boy was I wrong !!!

A wonderful Holiday to all !!!!!!!!!!

Tony,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area