U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 10,188 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if an indoor digital antenna will pick up the North Carolina Public Television station UNC-TV (channel 6 on Cox cable). I am considering dropping my cable service but I really don't want to give up that channel. They have wonderful locally produced programs that our public tv doesn't offer (I wish they did!) I live in the Great Bridge area which isn't too far from the NC line so I'm hoping that I can pick up the signal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:35 AM

136 posts, read 420,300 times
I dropped Cox Cable years ago, and don't regret it. Where i live, (Larchmont area of Norfolk) i can pick up more than 20 channels on rabbit ears. Since we have a digital TV, we don't need a converter box. My reception of NC television stations (UNC public TV and WSKY) is spotty though. Your reception will depend on if you are on the ground floor. Generally, the higher your antenna is, the better your reception will be. The FCC has a reception map here. Just plug in your zip code.
The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

Also, this is where i get my TV listings.
TV Listings Guide, TV Ratings, TV News, TV Shows - Zap2it
Click on the TV listings link on the right side. Enter your zip code and you can choose Antenna as an option.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM

203 posts, read 448,077 times
Anyone care to comment on a good antennae? We travel a bunch. I have a digital TV but it doesn't have an antennae. Figure if I have to buy one might as well get a decent one.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:15 PM

177 posts, read 627,927 times
start at AntennaWeb

That will at least tell you what type of antenna you will need...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM

5,801 posts, read 6,194,414 times
Thanks for those great websites folks; I'm sick of paying $80.00/month for DirecTV to watch 15-20 channels tops, so I'm looking to economize as well, and I'm willing to check out ROKU, Boxee & other services which were recently mentioned in an article in the WSJ.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,911,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
Anyone care to comment on a good antennae? We travel a bunch. I have a digital TV but it doesn't have an antennae. Figure if I have to buy one might as well get a decent one.
I picked one up for our trailer tv...wal-mart carries various brands. Get many, many more channels and great reception.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM

5,801 posts, read 6,194,414 times
Would you happen to know which brand of antenna you purchased, and how much it cost?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 AM

359 posts, read 722,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibble View Post
I am wondering if an indoor digital antenna will pick up the North Carolina Public Television station UNC-TV (channel 6 on Cox cable). I am considering dropping my cable service but I really don't want to give up that channel. They have wonderful locally produced programs that our public tv doesn't offer (I wish they did!) I live in the Great Bridge area which isn't too far from the NC line so I'm hoping that I can pick up the signal.
Cable sucks, and good for you. I am also local, wondering what I will be able to get. Have been asking some friends the same question and this was one reply:

"I believe you only need a high def t.v. antenna to pick up everything in high def that your t.v. will allow including 3,10,13,15,27,33, and if you get one that has a rotor, you can get stations in N.C. and better fm radio reception....."

You'll probably be ok. You could call UNC-TV and ask about their digital broadcast. Some of their shows are online. Ditch the cable, and welcome to the league of awesomeness

Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,911,739 times
During the hurricane last summer, we were the only ones watching TV in our garage (had many stop on by to watch the weather reports). The magnovox antenna worked out great.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,683,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibble View Post
You might be able to pick up that channel. I can't even get the local affiliates in Virginia Beach, but I am in the Rosemont area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area