U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM

150 posts, read 534,126 times

Advertisements

Just got fired from my job of 9 years at Walgreens in Williamsburg.

Anyone know of job openings in the area or ideas for me to support my wife and 1 year old son?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,977,208 times
Oh no. What kind of skillsets do you have? What kind of job are you looking for?

Now, it may seem silly, but check out CraigsList for job openings. I thought it was a crazy idea m'self until I got a pretty awesome excellent-paying job out of it.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM

150 posts, read 534,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Oh no. What kind of skillsets do you have? What kind of job are you looking for?

Now, it may seem silly, but check out CraigsList for job openings. I thought it was a crazy idea m'self until I got a pretty awesome excellent-paying job out of it.
Not really much of a skillset.

I've been a retail manager for a long time. I only have a GED (completed some college courses but no degree), Ive been working at Walgreens since I've been able to work, I just turned 27.

I'm very good with computers but have never worked a job computer related.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM

177 posts, read 607,840 times
Try indeed.com.

I put in 'store manager' and williamsburg, va' and it returned a lot of hits

Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,501,495 times
The career section of the Virginian Pilot has many as well

Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM

419 posts, read 774,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PChildres View Post
Not really much of a skillset.

I've been a retail manager for a long time. I only have a GED (completed some college courses but no degree), Ive been working at Walgreens since I've been able to work, I just turned 27.

I'm very good with computers but have never worked a job computer related.
You have a strong skillset.
Inventory management
Workgroup planning and scheduling
Loss controll and shrinkage prevention
Point of sale coordination
Retail marketing and coordination including national brands

These are just a few of the tasks and skills I would expect a retail manager at a walgreens to have some level of proficiency.
Think of what you actually did daya to day and how that is valuable to another employer. Then go sell it.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,977,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
You have a strong skillset.
Inventory management
Workgroup planning and scheduling
Loss controll and shrinkage prevention
Point of sale coordination
Retail marketing and coordination including national brands

These are just a few of the tasks and skills I would expect a retail manager at a walgreens to have some level of proficiency.
Think of what you actually did daya to day and how that is valuable to another employer. Then go sell it.
This right here is pretty sound advice.

OP, Everything you did as a manager can be easily sold to another retailer - or even not a retailer at all! Check USAJOBS.gov - we have a metric effton of civi jobs locally. These normally take a bit longer to get into... but it's always worth a shot for the longrun.

Virginia Pilot
Daily Press
Craigslist
Monster
LinkedIn
Indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area