U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,012 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating my family to the HR area (north of the bay) and would prefer an upscale neighborhood, preferably waterfront, with large lots. It would be great to be close to restaurants, coffee, shopping, etc. price range is between 600-800K. I've done some exploring in Williamsburg, but couldn't get a good feel for the waterfront properties there. Also, I know much of HR is not much above sea level, so I would prefer something with a tad bit more elevation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 AM

419 posts, read 840,965 times
OP: HR area (north of the bay)
Which bay? Do you know the city or counties in the this target area?

Having a higher elevation with waterfront presents a problem, most of teh waterfront homes are near sea level. There are some along the James that are on or near the James River and elevated along the banks but these are scarce compared to sea level waterfront homes.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 AM

I am more interested in the peninsula, and north from there: Hampton, NN, Seaport, etc.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:32 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,914,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksin View Post
I am more interested in the peninsula, and north from there: Hampton, NN, Seaport, etc.
Williamsburg Virginia Real Estate | James City County Homes

Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,485,643 times
A little help finding your flood prone areas.

Storm Surge Inundation Maps | Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM)

I always liked riverside in newport news. You are bordered by the Mariners Museum, CNU, and a golf course. There is a great walking/biking trail around there and you are close to the university shops as well as port warwick and city center. The houses seem pretty high up so I can't imagine flooding is a huge issue.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...en&sa=N&tab=wl

I would stay away from places like Poquoson and Buckroe just because of the flooding issues.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
A little help finding your flood prone areas.

Storm Surge Inundation Maps | Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM)

I always liked riverside in newport news. You are bordered by the Mariners Museum, CNU, and a golf course. There is a great walking/biking trail around there and you are close to the university shops as well as port warwick and city center. The houses seem pretty high up so I can't imagine flooding is a huge issue.

christopher newport university - Google Maps

I would stay away from places like Poquoson and Buckroe just because of the flooding issues.
thanks for the great advice. I like the look of that area!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,763,225 times
You didn't mention if you have kids in school ? If you do York County might be a consideration. Old Port Cove, Marlbank Cove, Taylor Farms, Running Man, Lakes at Dare, Port Myers would be my first choices.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 AM

504 posts, read 1,518,478 times
An area worth thinking about is Farmington which is in Hampton. The only drawback is that it's not on the waterfront.
There's also an area called Christopher Shores in Newport News which is a nice area. The only problem is that it's surrounded by the hood.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 PM

543 posts, read 957,307 times
Ocean View in Norfolk (western OV) has some expensive homes.

Is an old neighborhood, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area