Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM

72 posts, read 231,829 times

Advertisements

My husband received orders to Langley AFB and is due there November 2012. We will probably try to reserve a newly built Senior NCO house. However, we are not sold on living in base housing.
We have 2 kids - our daughter will be in first grade and son will be 4 and in preschool. We are looking at renting since he would have just under 2 years there before he retires. And, having never been there, we are not convinced we will want to stay and hate to be stuck with a house.
We would like to rent at least a 3 bedroom, 4 would be better, for $2500/mo or less. A great elementary school is #1 but also want a nice community. We prefer newer homes, would love a community pool, and to be near some shopping.
Do you have any recommendations on towns/neighborhoods/zip codes to search? Besides zillow, trulia, military by owner, are there any other good sites to search for rentals. Or rental agents?
And, how far in advance should we fly out to search for a rental?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 PM

144 posts, read 418,698 times
You can't beat trulia imo. I would say work with an agent and seek his/her guidance on when to fly out to scout. A lot of families with school-aged kids move over the summer to be in place before the first day of school. This might cause the inventory in August and September to be scarce (maybe not). Definitely get an agent to work for you as they can get you the MRIS links which gives you more details than any "homes" site will.

I also suggest to create a MS Excel spreadsheet that has columns for the features you want. Search listings and fill-in the columns and update as necessary. Include a URL column so you're not stuck bookmarking tons of pages to later delete or sort through. Over time you'll get an feel for the neighborhoods, style and condition of homes and be able to know exactly what you want using the spreadsheet.

Column field ideas include: year, price, # rooms, # bathrooms, neighborhood, elementary school, (for researching the reputations later), list features like fireplace, deck, garage and indicate if the house has it. Just some ideas since you have a year to prepare and spreadsheets help me manage my thoughts findings.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM

254 posts, read 1,205,726 times
Recommend Yorktown Tabb area for great schools. I believe there are several rental options throughout Yorktown area. Kiln Creak community on Yorktown side may be an option.
There's also base housing in Yorktown on the 1st avenue exit from the Hampton Highway. I forgot the name of that area, but it may be the best choice. I still own a home nearby in the Coventry neighborhood and I always used the shoppette at that military housing area for quick Class XI purchases.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,057,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki75 View Post
You can't beat trulia imo. I would say work with an agent and seek his/her guidance on when to fly out to scout. A lot of families with school-aged kids move over the summer to be in place before the first day of school. This might cause the inventory in August and September to be scarce (maybe not). Definitely get an agent to work for you as they can get you the MRIS links which gives you more details than any "homes" site will.
I also suggest to create a MS Excel spreadsheet that has columns for the features you want. Search listings and fill-in the columns and update as necessary. Include a URL column so you're not stuck bookmarking tons of pages to later delete or sort through. Over time you'll get an feel for the neighborhoods, style and condition of homes and be able to know exactly what you want using the spreadsheet.

Column field ideas include: year, price, # rooms, # bathrooms, neighborhood, elementary school, (for researching the reputations later), list features like fireplace, deck, garage and indicate if the house has it. Just some ideas since you have a year to prepare and spreadsheets help me manage my thoughts findings.

Good luck!
Nikki, what is trulia? I've used zillow and military by owner and the Virginian Pilot classifieds but haven't heard of the trulia site.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 AM

Based on what I can tell it's a site where you can search rentals and sales of apartments and homes. There is also a forum where you can ask realtors and other mortgage professionals questions. In turn you receive multiple responses and advice including to take it offline and work with a mortgage pro or realtor. It always seems to have all of the listings I've ever found on other sites but the listings provide more information in my opinion.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:19 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,057,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki75 View Post
Based on what I can tell it's a site where you can search rentals and sales of apartments and homes. There is also a forum where you can ask realtors and other mortgage professionals questions. In turn you receive multiple responses and advice including to take it offline and work with a mortgage pro or realtor. It always seems to have all of the listings I've ever found on other sites but the listings provide more information in my opinion.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,565,474 times
Another good spot is Francis Asbury zone in Hampton. It's a well established neighborhood on the water, and the school is VERY good.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,111,515 times
I really like Yorktown. You should be able to find a rental in that price range pretty easily. I too have to move out of our rental home in a year or so- the owner would like to get back in but it is a, "if you happen to find something early, no penalty if you want to jump on it and get out of the lease early," type of thing. So I am also actively watching rentals and foreclosures. (We might be here for awhile.) I am using zillow since it is seems to be the most up-to-date.
I haven't come across an elementary school yet in Ytown that I don't care for, they are all good. There is big rivalry between the HSs, your typical mascot HS alumni thing. Nothing bad, just people who love their home school which is a good thing.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,168 times
Smile Hello KatieBlue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBlue View Post
My husband received orders to Langley AFB and is due there November 2012. We will probably try to reserve a newly built Senior NCO house. However, we are not sold on living in base housing.
We have 2 kids - our daughter will be in first grade and son will be 4 and in preschool. We are looking at renting since he would have just under 2 years there before he retires. And, having never been there, we are not convinced we will want to stay and hate to be stuck with a house.
We would like to rent at least a 3 bedroom, 4 would be better, for $2500/mo or less. A great elementary school is #1 but also want a nice community. We prefer newer homes, would love a community pool, and to be near some shopping.
Do you have any recommendations on towns/neighborhoods/zip codes to search? Besides zillow, trulia, military by owner, are there any other good sites to search for rentals. Or rental agents?
And, how far in advance should we fly out to search for a rental?

Thanks in advance!
Hi KatieBlue

Althought I know you and your family aren't here yet, please let me be the first to welcome you to Hampton Roads.

I've lived here myself for nearly 7 years, and as a local realtor who works with military buyers, in rentals/property management and residential sales, I hope that the following helps!

I live near Langley AFB, and from what I know, there isn't any new on-base housing on Langley, but there is new on-base housing at Fort Eustis, which, on a good day, is about a 15 minute drive.

Based on what you described, If you were looking to buy, I would definitely suggest the Willow Lakes subdivsion in Hampton, as a good starting point.

But understanding that you want to rent until you know more about the area, I will say that right now, there is PLENTY of rental listings around here and you should have no problem, with you budget, finding something suitable for you and your family.

You can go to my website which is www.jkeelingroup.com, and hit search. If it ask you to register, go ahead and register so that you can save your search - it's a good way to create a sort of "short list" for when you visit, and you can also get updates about the market and such that will be helpful when you visit.

Plan on coming here about 90 days before your move (summer 2012) to decide where you want to live and maybe pick out a few different subdivisioins of where you want to live. Depending on how far you want to live from base, you may consider Yorktown, Mid-town Newport News - (the Hilton Subdivision area has shopping, schools, etc), and Hampton.

I hope this has been helpful. Feel free to contact me at anytime if you have any more questions!

- Julenn Keeling

Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Thanks for the info.
You are always welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area