U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,394,536 times

Advertisements

I would say you're going to find the process much easier with a lawyer, and I also would wear the uniform... it can't hurt.

It has been so nice up in NJ for the past week... 75-80 and nobody blinks an eye. People that know to just go around a turning car instead of stopping behind it and creating a jam. People that use turn signals. It's always hell going back to the yokels that think anything over 55 will somehow make your car lift off and head to the moon. If there's one thing southerners can't do, it's drive!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:42 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,045,053 times
As said: get an attorney, appear in uniform, and don't do two miles over the speed limit anywhere near Emporia - that place is a notorious speedtrap.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,667 times
First, I'd like to thank (most) of you for your advice. In the end, I went with Bigfoot and went without a lawyer (though I did go with my Naval Division Officer) and I also listened to you guys about the uniform. You were right, it certainly didn't hurt. Really gotta say though, I miss Florida. 30 over and it'll still only be a speeding ticket if the cop is in a bad mood.

In the end, I didn't get a lawyer, I pleaded guilty, and the judge reduced my ticket from a 86/55 Reckless to a 74/55 Speeding with a $520 fine (including court costs). A lot of money, but much, MUCH better than it could have been.

Second, I'd like to say that I found meme79's comment offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme79 View Post
We are all military and never got a ticket so GROW UP and take the consequences. You got what you deserved. I am also sick of people like you thinking if you wear your military gear it makes you better than civilians. All you do is give the rest of us a bad name.
Exactly when did I ever mention anything about a uniform, little less how it makes me better than civilians. Exactly who are people like me? You don't know a thing about me besides the fact that I got a ticket, which means nothing. Would you say the same thing to my friend who is a priest who got a reckless for 76 in a 55? Probably not. And for someone who is military, you talk about us like someone who isn't, like we're all a bunch of a-holes with no regard for other people, when in reality, we're the ones with the highest regard since we're the ones out there, away from friends and family for months, sometimes even years, bombing cities, killing people that we will see in our nightmares for the rest of our lives to protect "people like you" who take digs at us whenever we expect anything like a little bit of respect and understanding (or heck, a little ADVICE, like I asked for). We are NOT civilians, we are not CHILDREN that need to "grow up". We are soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen who risk our lives every time we leave the US on a mission. We are the ones who looked at that recruiter and thought about how maybe joining might stop things like 9/11, how maybe if we're over there in the middle of the violence, our niece and all the "little sisters and brothers" we've come to love will never have to know the horror of hearing that their family was killed when terrorists used planes as weapons. And I'm sorry if you think that just because I think THAT, I think I'm better than them. I know many, many civilians who are better than any sailor I know, simply because after 9/11, I was brought up in a close community of good, kind people who made it their mission in life to help others peacefully. I DON'T treat my uniform as a form of "get out of jail free card," I treat it as a form of great respect and honor that I must try to live up to, even if it means trying even harder after a mistake (like my ticket).

Phew! For the rest of you, I'm sorry about that rant. It's been getting to me lately, how so many civilians and even (as you just witnessed) some self-righteous military personnel treat anyone who even seems a little bit uppity (even if they know absolutely NOTHING about the person) like we're stupid children with superiorty complexes simply because of our job.

Again, thanks for the advice.

~MikoAmaya

Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM

419 posts, read 786,129 times
Thanks for serving and don't sweat the outside views of the military by some of those in the military. I spent some time in the Navy and I remember clearly there were a lot of fellow sailors who dressed well and talked strong but when it came time to getting the job done they were not the ones who were called.
Glad I was able to serve my country and know that everyone in the military has to give up some of themselves and some give all of themselves. That's what the uniform means so if someone else recognizes that and provides a little relief in a tough situation (because you are wearing your uniform) thank them and be proud of who you are and what you represent.
Thanks Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area