U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,066 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a house within a year or so, and I would prefer a short commute to Old Dominion University, where I work. Currently renting a house in Larchmont, right by the water, and while it's been nice, I'd prefer to invest in a house that is not vulnerable to flooding. Also would prefer an area with nice schools, as my two-year old will go to grade school in a few years.

Any recommendations in Norfolk and Va Beach that are: i) not in a flooding area; ii) not too long a commute to ODU, and iii) offer good schools?

My wife and I have been thinking about Thoroughgood, but would consider reasonable alternatives as well. I've been biking to work from my house in Larchmont, and to continue to bike to work would be ideal, but driving to work is not a deal-braker (I'll make the most of it... learn Spanish or Mandarin during the drive...). I think that we'll be looking for something in a $350K range.

Cheers,

Michel
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
 
43 posts, read 102,638 times
Reputation: 23
might i suggest the city of New York. it is only about a ~7 hour commute from where you work. the city has great public schooling for your daughter.

you could even consider renting a personal jet to get to and from work each day.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
3,841 posts, read 4,035,314 times
Reputation: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelVA View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a house within a year or so, and I would prefer a short commute to Old Dominion University, where I work. Currently renting a house in Larchmont, right by the water, and while it's been nice, I'd prefer to invest in a house that is not vulnerable to flooding. Also would prefer an area with nice schools, as my two-year old will go to grade school in a few years.

Any recommendations in Norfolk and Va Beach that are: i) not in a flooding area; ii) not too long a commute to ODU, and iii) offer good schools?

My wife and I have been thinking about Thoroughgood, but would consider reasonable alternatives as well. I've been biking to work from my house in Larchmont, and to continue to bike to work would be ideal, but driving to work is not a deal-braker (I'll make the most of it... learn Spanish or Mandarin during the drive...). I think that we'll be looking for something in a $350K range.

Cheers,

Michel
Not a whole lot of flooding in Virginia Beach unless you're around the Salem/Princess Anne area. Norfolk can flood all over the damn place with a good storm. Roads and underpasses can be impassable for a day or two with enough rain. The Olney Road/Ghent/Lafayette/Colley area is especially vulnerable.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,066 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
might i suggest the city of New York. it is only about a ~7 hour commute from where you work. the city has great public schooling for your daughter.

you could even consider renting a personal jet to get to and from work each day.
Hi Royalcaribbean. Have I in any way provoked you? Just wondering what you got out of this sarcastic answer.
Sarcasm - Wikiquote .
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,066 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Not a whole lot of flooding in Virginia Beach unless you're around the Salem/Princess Anne area. Norfolk can flood all over the damn place with a good storm. Roads and underpasses can be impassable for a day or two with enough rain. The Olney Road/Ghent/Lafayette/Colley area is especially vulnerable.
Thanks for the advice, Wynternight. Duly noted.
Cheers,
Michel
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
3,841 posts, read 4,035,314 times
Reputation: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelVA View Post
Thanks for the advice, Wynternight. Duly noted.
Cheers,
Michel
My pleasure. I'd recommend VB or Chesapeake over Norfolk, especially if flooding is a concern because it is a very real event in Norfolk and also parts of Portsmouth.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 AM
 
88 posts, read 236,148 times
Reputation: 18
Larchmont is a tricky area, some houses are prone to flooding and other seem to be just high enough to not have to worry. I live a few blocks off the water and while the street may flood once or twice a year, I am not worried about the house getting flooded.

Before moving to Norfolk I wasn't too excited about the prospect, but Larchmont has turned out to be a great community to live in.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,066 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
My pleasure. I'd recommend VB or Chesapeake over Norfolk, especially if flooding is a concern because it is a very real event in Norfolk and also parts of Portsmouth.
What is the commute like from Chesapeake to Old Dominion, in your opinion? Especially if I come in at 9am-ish and go home after 6pm?

Moreover, are the best schools in Chesapeake comparable to the best schools in Va Beach?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,066 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwz26 View Post
Larchmont is a tricky area, some houses are prone to flooding and other seem to be just high enough to not have to worry. I live a few blocks off the water and while the street may flood once or twice a year, I am not worried about the house getting flooded.

Before moving to Norfolk I wasn't too excited about the prospect, but Larchmont has turned out to be a great community to live in.
Right now, I am on Surrey Crescent, right across from the water. And while the house is built high, ultimately a hurricane can flood the unfinished basement, and even a strong rainfall seems to inundate the street. If I need to drive to the airport to catch a plane, and this coincides with this type of rainfall, I'm out of luck.

But I concur with what you say about Larchmont. People are very nice. Which leads to my conflicting situation. (And as I said, I also love being able to bike to work... A 10-minute bike ride beats being stuck in traffic for 40 minutes in a Mercedes.)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
3,841 posts, read 4,035,314 times
Reputation: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelVA View Post
What is the commute like from Chesapeake to Old Dominion, in your opinion? Especially if I come in at 9am-ish and go home after 6pm?

Moreover, are the best schools in Chesapeake comparable to the best schools in Va Beach?
That would really depend on what part of Chesapeake you're in and how you're getting to Norfolk. Would you go through Campostella or take 464?

I don't know anything about Chesapeake schools. I went to VB schools so can't help you there, sad to say.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top