Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM

121 posts, read 461,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
New tracks or the ones I saw on I-564 leaving the Naval Base going back towards Virginia Beach?
New tracks. They want to run it past odu. There is some talk about make a base connecter and leaving the odu one a separate line. It seems like they're focusing on the first option though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,694,542 times
The light rail sucks. It goes super slow.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
The light rail sucks. It goes super slow.

What were you expecting? Light rail=light speed? And slow compared to what?

Light rail systems function on the surface with both automobile traffic and pedestrian traffic, so they can only go but so fast and still remain safe. Norfolk's system goes the correct speed. And if you're basing the comparison on underground metro systems, then it's not really fair. They function at different levels. It'd be like me complaining that NY's subway is too slow because I rode the Eurostar once and it went 150 mph.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM

148 posts, read 370,666 times
lol nycricanpapi is the resident grump. Man, you still ain't back in New York?

I am hoping to ride the light rail at some point in the near future my only complaint is that it is just not very convenient for me all the way out in Chesapeake. either way, I'm driving somewhere to ride it, probably the same distance to either downtown or one of the stations.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post

What were you expecting? Light rail=light speed? And slow compared to what?
I just don't understand why it slows down so much when going from the Freemason stop to EVMS. The only thing I can think is because it cross streets. Silly, though. Trains cross streets all the time (think commuter rail) and don't slow to the speeds the Tide does.

And also, as I've said before, it should have the ultimate right of way. Stopping for traffic lights (like it does when it crosses Boush) is ridiculous. The train should always be allowed to proceed when it is approaching the intersection. Sometimes you sit and wait for a good 3-4 minutes before it goes.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdogg View Post
New tracks. They want to run it past odu. There is some talk about make a base connecter and leaving the odu one a separate line. It seems like they're focusing on the first option though.
The other must still be used heavily for freight. It just seems like they are focusing on the most urban areas first, which makes sense, but it will never increase density in suburban areas, or less urban, areas of Virginia Beach. I think Virginia Beach will get on board before Chesapeake. Portsmouth has the density and looks as though it would already have something like this not sure why they aren't part of the conversation.

Personally I think the whole Oceanfront thing was political maneuvering. Edge of Norfolk to Town Center there isn't anything, and Town Center to the Oceanfront there isn't anything. So no one wants to run the train past all of those furniture stores, automobile dealerships, and apartment complexes.

Not to mention the fact that Virginia Beach cannot afford traffic backups at all during rush hour as people are already backed up past the left hand turn lane on Virginia Beach Boulevard. Sometimes you cannot even make a right turn onto Rosemont. Next thing you know the train runs through, forcing traffic to stop, and you are backed up a block prior to the block you want to make a left turn on. Good thing Virginia Beach Boulevard is nothing but superblocks.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,514,671 times
Voters have spoken and 62% support extending light rail into Va Beach. I thought it was interesting that mayor Sessoms says there are private companies that can build it at a savings. The prospect of the trains moving through the city is exciting though there will be a price to see it come here.

Here's the link in the Pilot.
Sessoms: Va. Beach ready to explore light-rail financing | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Voters have spoken and 62% support extending light rail into Va Beach. I thought it was interesting that mayor Sessoms says there are private companies that can build it at a savings. The prospect of the trains moving through the city is exciting though there will be a price to see it come here.

Here's the link in the Pilot.
Sessoms: Va. Beach ready to explore light-rail financing | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Still means that there is a large group that doesn't want it, but I often wonder if that is more about cost than it is the idea of it. The city is going to build light rail regardless of what the people want, as they have always went against what people want. But they were smart to hold off to let people see it work in Norfolk. So far it hasn't increased density in Norfolk, and it probably never will.

As far as Sessoms suggesting that private companies can build it cheaper that is politics as usual. It will still be expensive regardless of who builds it. But it really needs to be done, should have been done 20 years ago. A real shame that Charlotte built before we did. There is also rumors that Richmond is exploring their options as well, which is interesting because the Richmond metro is not as large and I honestly do not understand why Richmond couldn't build a subway I thought they had the terrain to do so. Traditional subways could connect cities out West, no need to rely on light rail out there considering how mountainous Virginia is there.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM

75 posts, read 91,603 times
I like the Light Rail, I use it every weekday. Take bus from P-town, then Light Rail to Norfolk General Hospital. Use it on the occasional weekend I work as well, bus from P-town, Light Rail to Military Highway then bus to Greenbrier section of Chesapeake. I think it has made a significant improvement to the mass transit in the area, though we are still nowhere near the level of San Francisco in this respect.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 AM

275 posts, read 870,100 times
I don't think it's improved the density in Norfolk because it's simply a starter line. I live in West Ghent, and have ridden from EVMS to downtown, so it definitely comes in handy there. I think once you get it to other parts of town (i.e. Naval Station Norfolk, the airport), into VB, or even Portsmouth/Chesapeake/the Peninsula, you'll see an uptick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area