Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM

359 posts, read 756,369 times

Advertisements

Silver Diner closes in Virginia Beach, Newport News | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

That. Really. Stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,410,263 times
Figured something was up when the one in Chesapeake closed. It was busy everyday and the one on the blvd. was as well.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,100,776 times
I never had the chance to eat there. Good service, food?
I ache more for the employees than the business owners because they were so blind sighted. How are they going to buy groceries and put gas in their car with the sudden turn of events? Chances are they were in a paycheck to paycheck financial situation as it was. It's a shame and inhumane to be cruel to others like that.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I never had the chance to eat there. Good service, food?
I ache more for the employees than the business owners because they were so blind sighted. How are they going to buy groceries and put gas in their car with the sudden turn of events? Chances are they were in a paycheck to paycheck financial situation as it was. It's a shame and inhumane to be cruel to others like that.
Food and Service were good. One of the best grilled tuna sandwiches around and they served breakfast all day. I'm not much for chain restaurants, but when the blvd. opened, it was quite the treat with their blue plate specials.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,126,594 times
I'm not a huge fan of chain restaurants, but I always loved the Silver Diner. Decent food, awesome people. It's a shame; I was planning on going there for lunch this week.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,490,968 times
I ate there a few times. I found the food to be variable. The first time I went the burger and fries were fantastic, second time not so much. Third time I went was around the holidays and the tirkey dinner wasn't too good. I don't recall what I had the last time I went but it must not have been too memorable.

I always go to Fuddruckers, Calz, and Cracker Barrel when I go back to VB to see family since none of those are found in Alaska (there is a Cracker Barrel about 90 miles from my current location in AZ though).

Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I ate there a few times. I found the food to be variable. The first time I went the burger and fries were fantastic, second time not so much. Third time I went was around the holidays and the tirkey dinner wasn't too good. I don't recall what I had the last time I went but it must not have been too memorable.

I always go to Fuddruckers, Calz, and Cracker Barrel when I go back to VB to see family since none of those are found in Alaska (there is a Cracker Barrel about 90 miles from my current location in AZ though).
Cracker Barrel is springing up everywhere now. Fuddruckers was great back in the day and Calz is alright but IMO Zero's is better.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,286,307 times
Their problem is that they're not a real diner. A real diner has a very large, very varied menu. There's was not.

The other problem, and really the bigger of the two, is that HR is just not a diner crowd. The population is too thin, jaded by other chains (if you want Italian you're going to more likely go to the Olive Garden than a diner,) and also not affluent enough to support a diner. A true diner needs a steady crowd around the clock, not just a rush for dinner.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM

44 posts, read 106,770 times
Loved the food, hated the service - couldn't get anything right - went as far as talking to their GM, and got free food out of it, but the experience was no better, so that was our last visit there. As a matter of fact, after being seated, we got our drinks - then, after 30 minutes w/o having anybody stop by to take our order, we left, vowing never to return. Not sad to see them go at all.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,490,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Cracker Barrel is springing up everywhere now. Fuddruckers was great back in the day and Calz is alright but IMO Zero's is better.
Hopefully Anchorage or Fairbanks will get a Cracker Barrel. Fudd's food tastes the same way to me as it always has and a Calz steak sub can't be beat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area