U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:36 AM

14 posts, read 30,331 times

Advertisements

As hippie as I may be, I own a motorcycle and car, no bicycle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,380,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw88tpea View Post
As hippie as I may be, I own a motorcycle and car, no bicycle.
Considering a bike ride from College Pl to the Waterside ferry is less than 5minutes it might be worth considering getting one. Even if you are going against traffic, avoiding the tunnels is always a good idea. If you like urban city environments, this area is as close as HR is gonna offer. Plenty of bars, the Scope, Chrysler Museum, the NorVa, Town Point Park, etc... all within walking distance. Light rail right there. Close to ODU, close to Ghent... less than 30min drive to the strip (what we call the touristy area of the beach).

College Pl to Unknown road - Google Maps

Not to stereotype, but since you self identified as a hipster, you may also enjoy keeping an eye on this.

http://www.altdaily.com/

Last edited by UHgrad; 01-25-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,702 times
I'm new to the area and I've now experienced the tunnel traffic and I'm staying in va beach with my wife at an extended stay hotel and her job is on the other side of the tunnel from here,and she tends to take the long way around 64 now after messing with tunnel!
We are looking at buying a house in Portsmouth write now and it has some schechy spots but we found what looks really nice place and has the best bang for the buck.

We are checking statistics in the area and there looking pretty good nowadays they did have some bad crime in years past but it's looking up and thy re revitalizing many historic parts.
Everyone kept telling me stay away from Portsmouth,but after searching and looking at houses all over here its looking like our favorite spot so far..

I also herd to stay away from Ghent,from several people and that the gangs are comming down lower and lower..
I looked at a few houses in the south Norfolk area and was told its up and coming but there is no way I'm buying a place over there,it seemed pretty schechy!

It might be a good idea to try the extended stay hotel route cuase you can't seem to get a straight awnwer or the real truth without seeing it for yourself.

We are discovering people in each area have something negative to say about everywhere around them but there city or town..

Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 AM

My roommate and I are tag teaming the area this week. He's been there over the weekend and got a bad impression of Portsmouth. But downtown Norfolk is tough with hi 100+ lb dog. Military members that have been in say that if they were to do it again they would just move to ghent or va beach. We'll keep looking, still hoping for a house to rent. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM

177 posts, read 614,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleazilla View Post
It might be a good idea to try the extended stay hotel route cuase you can't seem to get a straight awnwer or the real truth without seeing it for yourself.

We are discovering people in each area have something negative to say about everywhere around them but there city or town..
And there you have it...you really can't take other folks word for an area b/c you don't have the same experiences/desires as they do.

And with the recent turn of events (tolls), one should really look at staying on the same side of the tunnel as one's job (SEE I JUST DID IT LOL!)

Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 583 times
Pea, I lived in pdx for 8 years after college. Close in se and sw. Now I live in va beach. Ghent, college pl and freemason are as close as you will come to pdx vibe. No real university culture like you are thinking. Evms area is as close as you will get. Odu trying, but still commuter school culture. We looked at Norfolk, but ended up in va beach so we could walk to the beach, bars and food. There are some gems, but it takes a lot of looking. We have bridges here, but nothing like pdx. And the coming tolls might be an issue.

Downtown Portsmouth has some funk. And loads of junk. They trying over there.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM

154 posts, read 352,666 times
I also think that traffic will not be a problem from Norfolk to Portsmouth. I take the Midtown tunnel from Norfolk to Portsmouth every day and back (going against traffic) and there is rarely a problem. Going the other direction is a different story. Ghent is where you need to be to have any kind of "culture" and youth.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM

I ended up in West Ghent and feel so lucky! It's an amazing area with lots to offer. Lots of runners, bikers, families out and about. The neighbors have been extremely welcoming, lots of priors and current members at NMCP. I have never had a commute longer than 25 min to and from NMCP. The experiences I have had in Portsmouth-at the grocery etc have not been good and I'm glad I chose Norfolk.

I love being a walk from Colley. I've nearly made a habit of driving over to Colley on Saturday night, walking home, then running to the car in the morning. It works for me. Staying safe always.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area