Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 36,334 times

Advertisements

New Member here!

I am currently stationed in Anchorage, AK as a USAF member. I will be leaving at the end of this year and would like to plan my assigment choice very carefully as overseas returnees generally have a little better pick. My family is located in Richmond where I was born and lived until I was 12. With my wife and I having 2 small children, we would love to get back near family again. That being said, it would seem that Langley is the only thing remotely close. The problem is, I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone concerning the area. Some people say that its not bad, others say its extremely ghetto. I would greatly appreciate some honest answers and maybe a little advice too.

Some questions:
- Is that area really that bad? We used to go to VA Beach a ton when I was a kid (late 80s-early 90's) Didnt seem that bad.
- Is the traffic that bad if I'm coming from mainland side? What sort of time am I looking at from say, Williamsburg.

What I'm looking for in a home:
- Not too horrible of a commute
- Very Low Crime. My last two assignments have been in relatively high crime areas and I'm getting sick of it.
- I am a small town type of person. I like my space and I like the small town atmosphere.
- Good schools.
- Given that my family is in Richmond, I'd like somewhere between Langley and Richmond.
- Hopefully, housing that isnt crazy expensive. Willing to pay extra but I have my limits.

All that I've come up with so far are Williamsburg possibly. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Williamsburg is good but a bit of a hike to Langley AFB.

York County has great public schools, is safe, and close to Langley AFB, and is in between the base and Richmond. I have coworkers with kids in the Tabb, Grafton, and Poquoson public school systems... they all are very happy.

Not sure who says it is extremely ghetto, maybe in southern Newport News, parts of Portsmouth, or small pockets in Hampton and Norfolk. Aside from small pockets of high crime the area is fine in my opinion.

Virginia Beach is consistently one of the safest cities in the country for its size if you want to make the drive. I live in VB and work in Hampton, my commute is fine (roughly 30min) but I drive at very specific times of day (come to work before 7, leave by 330 or come in at 930 and leave after 6). If I have to come in during rush hour that commute becomes 45min+ (sometimes worse if there are tunnel issues). I like the southside, I think there is more to do and I enjoy being by the beach, but that is more of a personal preference.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby81 View Post
New Member here!

I am currently stationed in Anchorage, AK as a USAF member. I will be leaving at the end of this year and would like to plan my assigment choice very carefully as overseas returnees generally have a little better pick. My family is located in Richmond where I was born and lived until I was 12. With my wife and I having 2 small children, we would love to get back near family again. That being said, it would seem that Langley is the only thing remotely close. The problem is, I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone concerning the area. Some people say that its not bad, others say its extremely ghetto. I would greatly appreciate some honest answers and maybe a little advice too.

Some questions:
- Is that area really that bad? We used to go to VA Beach a ton when I was a kid (late 80s-early 90's) Didnt seem that bad.
- Is the traffic that bad if I'm coming from mainland side? What sort of time am I looking at from say, Williamsburg.

- Very Low Crime. My last two assignments have been in relatively high crime areas and I'm getting sick of it.
- I am a small town type of person. I like my space and I like the small town atmosphere.
- Good schools.
- Given that my family is in Richmond, I'd like somewhere between Langley and Richmond.
- Hopefully, housing that isnt crazy expensive. Willing to pay extra but I have my limits.

All that I've come up with so far are Williamsburg possibly. Any other suggestions?

Both of my parents retired from the USAF at Langley and I lived in the area from age 2-16.

I would advise definitely living in Southern York County as far as your criteria goes. Very safe and family-friendly and most military families swear by it. The schools don't get any better in the area. Commute is also short.

York County however is expensive, you'd have to define crazy expensive to get a grip of if its in your range or not.

Hampton Roads while it does have a reputation for crime I think it is overblown in most cases. Yes there are bad areas like anyone else but you will be fine venturing out in most parts of Hampton or Newport News. I'd advise not using the public schools in those cities unless you have you absolutely have to. Not that those systems are inherently bad, but big gap between them and York County.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM

93 posts, read 348,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby81 View Post
New Member here!
I would greatly appreciate some honest answers and maybe a little advice too.

Some questions:

- Good schools.

I suggest you think outside the box a little to consider the area called Riverfront/Harbour View southwest of Langley. The AF brought us here a few years ago, and after MUCH research we settled just across the bridge/tunnel in Suffolk (in Harbour View). It has the best commute in terms of traffic flow (20 mins door to door), has good elementary schools, and is a nice clean & safe area. Just about everything is NEW!

It's the best kept secret in Hampton Roads for AF personnel stationed at Langley. The other armed services have figured it out (lots of Navy & Army), and there is a strong military support structure there (key if you deploy). It's NOT congested like most of Hampton Roads, and has low crime. It definitely has a more small town feel to it than the peninsula. It's also a little quicker to get to the beaches and Norfolk International airport (without any bridges to cross).

Here is a link to a web site to see what life is like in Harbour View/Riverfront:

New Homes For Sale On The Nansemond River In Suffolk, VA | The Riverfront, Hampton Roads VA

Williamsburg was our original 1st choice as well…and I think most are drawn to it initially. It is nice! HOWEVER, very few if anyone lives up there if they are stationed at Langley. The traffic between the two areas is ridiculously congested and ALWAYS backed up. In the short time we've been here, we've known a few who have moved down from Williamsburg after realizing they made a mistake (sighting that the traffic was unbearable).

It's not bad here at all. We thought it would be. Then again, we removed ourselves from most of what they call bad by settling in Suffolk. We have no doubt that we made the right choice. Best of luck with yours!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
I suggest you think outside the box a little to consider the area called Riverfront/Harbour View southwest of Langley. The AF brought us here a few years ago, and after MUCH research we settled just across the bridge/tunnel in Suffolk (in Harbour View). It has the best commute in terms of traffic flow (20 mins door to door), has good elementary schools, and is a nice clean & safe area. Just about everything is NEW!
Good call, I totally forgot about harbor view, that is a good area too. I have a few coworkers that own over there and seem to like it. Should be some deals over there too since JFCOM downsized recently. You gotta go over the tunnel, but MMMBT is not bad at all.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 PM

72 posts, read 232,141 times
What does everyone think of Carrollton? How are the schools and the commute to Langley?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 16,266 times
I just got stationed at Langley, and we live in the Coventry area of southern York County. Highly recommend this area. Schools in york country are great. commute is short. It is more expensive than surrounding areas. I haven't noticed any crime problems. I would avoid Hampton and the southern half of newport news like the plague. i get nervous just driving around in hampton. Wiliiamsburg is at least 45 minutes to langley during rush hour, but is nice and cheaper than yorktown. I64 decreases from 4 lanes each way to 2 lanes each way on the commute towards williamsburg, which causes severe congestion. i hear carrollton is about 30 minutes, but you never know when the bridge will be raised and unpassable.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,929 times
I lived in Elizabeth Lake very close to Langley for thirty-five years. It is not ghetto. I still have my home there where my son lives. He moved back into his childhood home after I retired. I love Hampton and Newport News where I retired from teaching for thirty-five years. Look at Willows Oaks and Elizabeth Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area