U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Transplant Drivers
Florida 6 25.00%
North Carolina 1 4.17%
Pennsylvania 3 12.50%
New York 6 25.00%
Other / Virginia Drivers are the worst 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 AM

21 posts, read 63,960 times

Advertisements

by far, MD drivers are the worst.... I travel the East Coast from NY to VA and I have never seen anything worse than MD drivers...as soon as I get into that state, accidents on a clear sunny day(chances are that a Maryland driver is involved)or idiots behind the wheel disregarding the "rules of the road"...I try to avoid that state as much as possible
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM

5,952 posts, read 8,968,042 times
I see a lot of plates from Quebec driving like they haven't got a clue in the summer.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
I am from the OBX but live in the norview section of Norfolk. I'm aggressive, but maybe it's just because if I'm not someone will cut me off! My commute is from 5 points to military circle and I can't tell you how many times someone has cut me off on the military hwy S exit. Missing your exit isn't nearly as bad as killing me and you both! Especially since you jus have to head toward downtown like 5 min and there's another military hwy exit! And nob traffic. Holy crap. There has to be a happy medium between 90 and 50 mph on 64. So my vote is actually Texas drivers. Dated a few, they all have little man syndrome! Think they can drive like crap because they have some ford F-350

Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 PM

4,483 posts, read 8,824,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
As someone who commutes past Norfolk Naval Station and over the HRBT or MMMBT every day I get to see my fair share of crazy driving. I understand that the typical enlisted demographic is probably prone to more aggressive driving but it also seems like certain license plates and sports affiliations seem to pop up consistently on the offending vehicles. Any opinions on what state (besides VA if you think we suck) produces the worst drivers in the area?

From experience I would say these 4 are the worst:

1) Florida - I have no idea what the drivers test involves in Florida but apparently they teach that 5ft is an appropriate following distance and 90mph is the optimal speed for good fuel economy.

2) North Carolina - I don't know if they are just tired because they drove all the way up from Currituck County to their job at Newport News Shipbuilding but I have never seen such a group of oblivious drivers in my life.

3) Pennsylvania (specifically Pittsburgh area) - Why is that every time I get my ass ridden in the slow lane by a giant pickup truck or SUV, I notice that they have a giant Steelers sticker plastered to the back of their vehicle when they finally pass me??

4) New York - I guess this one is just a given. LOL
New York is a given? Did you smoke something? NYers are one of the best drivers. People tend to confuse aggresive-driving as driving bad. I have never seen so many crashes as to when I moved here. There are so many crashes when it rains and when it snows here in the Hampton Roads, it is absurd. Also people will crash in the parking lots... Can you believe this? I sure can because people here do not know how to drive.

People drive here like they all are grannies. Wow... Learn how to drive people.

When people are entering the highway people switch from the right lane to the left lane and just keep switching all the way to the left lane? Why? Do you really have a driver's License? Stay on the right lane if you are going to go slow. Left lanes are only for people that are going to drive fast... Geez.

Note: NYC drivers drive aggressive
Upstate NY drivers do not drive aggressive

Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,353,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
New York is a given? Did you smoke something? NYers are one of the best drivers. People tend to confuse aggresive-driving as driving bad. I have never seen so many crashes as to when I moved here. There are so many crashes when it rains and when it snows here in the Hampton Roads, it is absurd. Also people will crash in the parking lots... Can you believe this? I sure can because people here do not know how to drive.

People drive here like they all are grannies. Wow... Learn how to drive people.

When people are entering the highway people switch from the right lane to the left lane and just keep switching all the way to the left lane? Why? Do you really have a driver's License? Stay on the right lane if you are going to go slow. Left lanes are only for people that are going to drive fast... Geez.

Note: NYC drivers drive aggressive
Upstate NY drivers do not drive aggressive
First off, the point of this thread is that many of the drivers around here are not actually from here and that mixing all of these different styles leads to issues. So just because you view some accident in Hampton Roads, that does not mean that a person who is actually from Hampton Roads is driving the offending vehicle. Saying that people here can't drive in snow is pointless, we don't have the resources to treat the roads properly and it snows here once or twice a year at most. Are you gonna complain next that someone from St Louis is a lousy surfer? Virginia drivers may suck too, but the thread is called "worst out of state drivers" so that is what we are talking about.

While I agree that slower traffic needs to stay out of the passing lane, your comments support the fact that many New York drivers are overly aggressive, drive dangerously fast, and are oblivious to both facts because they think the people around them are driving like morons. That probably makes sense considering new yorkers scored the worst in the country on the drivers test 2 of the last 5 years. To make it worse, New Jersey is #2. Way to go northeast, looks like you are the ones that need to learn how to drive (or at least learn the rules of the road)!!

Top 20 States with the Worst Drivers

Aggressive driving is bad driving, going much faster than the flow of traffic is bad driving, it is not my opinion it is the opinion of traffic researches that track the things that lead to accidents.

http://www.saferoads.org/issues/fs-speed.htm

http://www.nsc.org/safety_road/Drive.../Speeding.aspx

Aggressive Driving | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Anything that reduces your ability to respond to an unexpected event in time is bad driving.

Your breaking distance increases exponentially with speed, the energy dissipated in an accident increases exponentially with speed... I am not making it up, it is simple physics.

Auto Stopping Distance

http://www.vcu.edu/cppweb/tstc/crash...n/kinetic.html

I wouldn't have been such an ass about it but the condescending tone of your reply kind of pissed me off.

I drive past the base every day either in the HOV lane and see some stupid **** going on. Most of the people doing it are males in their 20's with out of state plates. Most of them drive giant pickup trucks, muscle cars, or modified compact imports. Most of their plates are Florida, North Carolina, New York, or Pennsylvania. They have either giant Football stickers (usually steelers or giants) or some skull and crossbones "master chief" sticker plastered to their back windshield. They ride my ass going 70 in the slow lane because they can't get around the person in the fast lane also going 70 (not my problem), they weave back and forth repeatedly, they floor it and pass people in the shoulder sometimes... all to save about 30 seconds or a minute on their drive home. I can't even leave proper following distance if I am in the fast lane and going with the flow because there is an endless stream of cars swerving around me, riding up on the car in the slow lane, then cutting me off so that they can tailgate the next person up... leaving proper following distance is not driving like a granny. We can all go 70 from 200 feet apart just like we can all go 70 from 20 feet apart... you arrive at the same time but leaving 2 seconds between you and the car in front of you gives time to react to unexpected events.

Last edited by UHgrad; 02-02-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 8,824,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post

While I agree that slower traffic needs to stay out of the passing lane, your comments support the fact that many New York drivers are overly aggressive, drive dangerously fast, and are oblivious to both facts because they think the people around them are driving like morons. That probably makes sense considering new yorkers scored the worst in the country on the drivers test 2 of the last 5 years. To make it worse, New Jersey is #2. Way to go northeast, looks like you are the ones that need to learn how to drive (or at least learn the rules of the road)!!

I wouldn't have been such an ass about it but the condescending tone of your reply kind of pissed me off.

I drive past the base every day either in the HOV lane and see some stupid **** going on. Most of the people doing it are males in their 20's with out of state plates. Most of them drive giant pickup trucks, muscle cars, or modified compact imports. Most of their plates are Florida, North Carolina, New York, or Pennsylvania. They have either giant Football stickers (usually steelers or giants) or some skull and crossbones "master chief" sticker plastered to their back windshield. They ride my ass going 70 in the slow lane because they can't get around the person in the fast lane also going 70 (not my problem), they weave back and forth repeatedly, they floor it and pass people in the shoulder sometimes... all to save about 30 seconds or a minute on their drive home. I can't even leave proper following distance if I am in the fast lane and going with the flow because there is an endless stream of cars swerving around me, riding up on the car in the slow lane, then cutting me off so that they can tailgate the next person up... leaving proper following distance is not driving like a granny. We can all go 70 from 200 feet apart just like we can all go 70 from 20 feet apart... you arrive at the same time but leaving 2 seconds between you and the car in front of you gives time to react to unexpected events.
Well I do not blame these drivers to go through the shoulder, because the thing is we do not have patience, and the slow drivers won't move out from the fast lane. So this is not bad driving. Bad Driving is:

-Switch lanes without signaling
-People who goes slow in the fast lanes.

Quote:
Anything that reduces your ability to respond to an unexpected event in time is bad driving.
This is why you must pay attention to the road. This includes no talking on the phone, and no texting while driving.

I have seen so many people crashing at a red light. It is unbelievable. Also when a car is coming out from a parking lot to the road, they should leave that right lane available for that car instead of a car switching to that lane. I have seen this taking place here many of the times. The other thing that I have seen, is when a car is backing up from a parking, the other car speeds up . This car needs to stop and wait for the other car to come out. Now this is bad driving.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:27 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,353,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well I do not blame these drivers to go through the shoulder, because the thing is we do not have patience, and the slow drivers won't move out from the fast lane. So this is not bad driving. Bad Driving is:

-Switch lanes without signaling
-People who goes slow in the fast lanes.

This is why you must pay attention to the road. This includes no talking on the phone, and no texting while driving.

I have seen so many people crashing at a red light. It is unbelievable. Also when a car is coming out from a parking lot to the road, they should leave that right lane available for that car instead of a car switching to that lane. I have seen this taking place here many of the times. The other thing that I have seen, is when a car is backing up from a parking, the other car speeds up . This car needs to stop and wait for the other car to come out. Now this is bad driving.
All of those things you mentioned are really annoying. I will agree with everything you said except not blaming folks that go into the shoulder of the HOV lane to pass people. That is dangerous and selfish. I know it is irritating but people need to just be patient, tailgating and swerving all over the highway at 75mph is way more dangerous than a crash in a parking lot or stop light. A crash in a parking lot does not often kill people, it may be bad driving also, but it does not kill people.

Think about this:

15 mile trip at 75mph = 12 minutes
15 mile trip at 70mph = 12.8 minutes
15 mile trip at 65mph = 13.8 minutes

Trust me, I hate people going slow in the fast lane as much as anyone. I will pull up and flash my lights to tell them to move, but I'm not gonna ride their ass or do something stupid because I am getting impatient. As annoying as it is to have to go a little slower than you would like, at best you are saving 2 minutes of time on an average commute by going 10 over. If there are stop lights, speeding is even more useless because you are just gonna hit a light anyways. It is just not worth getting all pissed off about and doing dangerous **** like tailgating, swerving, or riding in shoulders to pass people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area