U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 9,025 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to Williamsburg but am VERY concerned about the recent burglaries. Is the crime as bad as it is reported? Is Williamsburg becoming a less desirable are to reside?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:19 AM

55 posts, read 84,925 times
Hi: I'm planning a move there as well. I haven't heard about the burglaries; can you give me some more info? I don't want to make a mistake moving to W'burg and not feeling safe Thanks, Rosemary

Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,714,097 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

don't hear too much on Williamsburg. normally it's Newport News and Hampton on that side of the tunnel.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM

1,184 posts, read 3,674,267 times
I think when you compare Williamsburg to any other area you will see that our crime rates are negligible in comparison.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM

I reviewed the new Williamsburg Crime map and contrary to popular belief. The crime is growing in Williamsburg. Whenever I type in an address (desirable neighborhoods) of a potential move, the address is surrounded by recent (within a year, some within months) breaking and entering flags, forcible rape, and child molestation. To say that the crime in Williamsburg is relative to other areas is incorrect. There is a uptick of crime in the area that is unlike that of other areas. Williamsburg was not that crime ridden a few years ago. My question is what is going on with the police force and military in the area. The crime should not be out of control in that area!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM

First of all I am sad to report that crime exists everywhere. The only way I know to compare to other areas are Statistics Compiled By Uniform Crime Reporting Section, Virginia State Police. I wasn't sure if you were referring to James City County or the City of Williamsburg. In fact James City County Crime rate decreased 10% from 2008 to 2010 which is the most recent update I see. 2011 updates should be available soon.
2011 Crime reports are incomplete from the VA State Police but when I look at forcible rapes in City of Williamsburg there were 4 in 2008 and 1 in 2010. Not sure what you are looking at for stats. I pulled mine from the VA State Police website Virginia State Police - Crime in Virginia Publication

In looking at the crime rate in the City of Williamsburg it did increase from 3893 per 100k to 4421 per 100k a 12 % increase but it's rate is still over 50% less than Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Richmond, and numerous other areas of the state. In a quick look at area and statewide low crime areas Gloucester, Hanover Co, Isle of Wight Co, James City Co., New Kent Co, Mathews Co. Poquoson,. and York County were the only ones locally that had lower rates than the City of Williamsburg but the differences in crime rates were negligible.

Another point to consider, there is a certain amount of crime on the college campus that is only involving students. This skews numbers slightly from a non college area.

NOTE :While the figures reported from this publication are the most accurate available, it must be remembered that they represent a “snapshot” of incidents reported by local law enforcement agencies. As such, it is possible that the number and categorization of offenses may differ when comparing these data with those from individual reporting agencies.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Expectmore., where specifically were you searching ? And what area would you like to compare crime stats with ? Where do you live currently ?

here is a chart with 2010 crime rates per 100k population for the area from highest to lowest

Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on recent crime in williamsburg-crime-rates-area.jpg  

Last edited by Mr Williamsburg; 02-13-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 AM

96 posts, read 93,163 times
I live in Williamsburg, but I tend don't watch news or read the paper often. I wouldn't be worried about the recent burglaries. For some unknown reason the city decided a few years back that it would be a good idea to build low-income apartments near upstanding suburban neighborhoods. They built one near my grandparents home which I live in currently while I attend college, and for the first few months some unfamiliar faces were showing up after dark and vandalizing houses. When I realized it was a group of punk kids from the housing project I started driving around at night buzzing them at about 40mph. This went on for about two weeks and they eventually got the message. Haven't seen the bastards ever since.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 AM

Another chart showing crime incidents in the City of Williamsburg. Looks like they are lower to me..
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on recent crime in williamsburg-crime-rates-williamsburg.jpg  

Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 AM

Mr. Williamsburg,

I am referencing the Raids Online Interactive Crime Map that was released by the James City Police. When you type in an address you have the choice of selecting a date range. I selected a year from the current date. The maps shows recent dates and times of reported crimes in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area