U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,754 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I got a job at the Norfolk Naval Base and me and my wife are looking at VB for a house to rent. We have a 15 month old son and would like to live in a relatively safe areas. Our budget is around 1200-1500. We will have a house hunting trip here soon and would like some help.

I've browse through these boards and I think I got an idea of places to avoid such as Green run, Lake Edwards, and area along lynhaven pkwy. Any other recommendations on areas to avoid? Currently I have mixed opinions on Aragona village, Salem, Landstown, North Central, and Tallwood.

It has been tough trying to find a place but one of house rentals in our list is in the Brandon area just south of Lake James, what do you folks think about that area? How about the area east of stumpy lake? Kempsville keeps getting mentioned but it is a pretty large area and am not really sure what are the areas to go to there.

Another area we are considering is around the courthouse but the drive would be about 40 minutes not including traffic whenever i ask for directions to and from the Naval base.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,353,249 times
I would also stay away from Bayside off of Northhampton. Even though it is close to the base it is kind of sketchy in a lot of areas.

If you are not concerned with night life or "trendy" shops, I would suggest Kempsville near the highway off Providence rd. It is just off the interstate with a short commute to base. It is a safe area, close to Greenbrier, Downtown Norfolk, and VB Town Center (10-15minute drive to each). Less than a couple miles from grocery stores and other shopping (Kemps River Crossing, Providence Square, Fairfield). Close to Woodstock Park and Mount Trashmore Park. And has way less traffic than the Indian River rd or Town Center portion of the area. I think it is one of the nicest family areas around here overall.

Areas near the Kempsville Greens golf course are nice as well, not sure if you would have to stretch the budget a bit though. I just always recommend living near the interstate around here. Base traffic is bad enough without having to sit at tons of stop lights just to get to the highway.

Out by Stumpy Lake is fine, but it is a little further from everything and Indian River Rd is pretty bad from 330 - 6pm in terms of traffic (not sure about morning, I don't drive by there, but I see it backed up in the afternoon everyday). You can save yourself 15 minutes of driving easily by staying off Providence and you are closer to other stuff as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,754 times
Thanks for the advice! Are you referring to the area between providence road and indian River road just north of Regent University? I feel kempsville is my best bet in terms of safety and commute time to work. We will see how it goes as we visit the area. We will also stop by the local police dept at Kempsville to get additional information.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,353,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spybreak View Post
Thanks for the advice! Are you referring to the area between providence road and indian River road just north of Regent University? I feel kempsville is my best bet in terms of safety and commute time to work. We will see how it goes as we visit the area. We will also stop by the local police dept at Kempsville to get additional information.
I think that either side of Providence is good. South of Providence there are nice homes off of Homestead, Strickland, and Whitehurst Landing. North of Providence are nice homes off of Avalon Terrace, Balfor, and Lord Dunmore. Down near the shopping center is good as well around Stratford Chase (there was an unfortunate incident in this area last week but it is not commonplace at all). With your price range, you will probably find more options on the south side of providence where the homes tend to be a little smaller and older (mostly brick ranches in the 1500 - 2000 square foot range).

It is suburban, quiet, and safe... close to everything and most of the neighborhoods have community parks. if that is the kind of vibe you are looking for it is a good bet.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,780 times
I would try the strawbridge area of Virginia Beach, Hunt Club, Pine Ridge and Middle Oaks Plantation subdivisions. The schools are excelleant (Strawbridge Elem, Princess Anne MS and Kellem HS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area