Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on Warwick High School in Newport News? Is it safe? Academically good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 AM

No one?
I read the Wikipedia page on this high school. It does not sound like a good school. Of all the Virginia public high schools, it is in the bottom 10% if I remember correctly. Its notable alumni are mainly athletes including Michael Vick.

Is it fair to assume that getting into the magnet program at Woodside H.S. is difficult? I also realize that we would be past the deadline for applying which was back in January.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 AM

96 posts, read 101,131 times
Looks like you answered your own question.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Buick>Import, are you familiar with the high schools in Newport New?
Any comment on the magnet schools?

Warwick has the I.B. program. If I remember the numbers correctly that I found online, few students are enrolled in the I.B. program.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 107,181 times
TN Lily, our daughter enrolled in the IB ptogram ("few" is not the right word - they are selective and turn kids away from the program), only for us to pull out at the last moment and send her to her home school, Menchville. If going to Warwick, IB keeps you out of the general population - your classes are generally the kids in the IB program with you. My daughter's problem was that it's not flexible - they make you think you can choose classes, but essentially they're chosen for you. She's taking AP & Honors classes at Menchville, and classes that she chooses to take, and is more than challenged. She sees many of the bad sides of Menchville, but is generally happy there. As stated in a reply to your other post, Woodside would be a good choice as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM

Diamondback13, thank you for your reply. I suspected that there were students turned down for the I.B. program. But if I remember right, there are only about 50 students in the program. Since it's a two-year program, is it just for juniors and seniors?

I would love for my daughter to get into Woodside and specifically the band program. We are not NN residents at this time, but will be when school starts in the fall.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM

44 posts, read 107,181 times
TN Lily, You're correct in that they have few kids in the program - only juniors & seniors are considered IB, while freshmen & sophomores are considered "Pre-IB", and likely not included in the numbers. Woodside's band program is a great way to get her into a good NN school, from what I've heard. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area