U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 10,577 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are considering relocating from Northern VA to Chesapeake. I guess I'm looking for anyone who has relocated from NOVA and any pros and cons.

We're 35 years old, no kids. We may start a family in the near future. We own a home in NOVA that we would sell and buy a place in Chesapeake. We've been in NOVA for 15 years and are just looking for a change. The biggest upside has been the home prices in Chesapeake. I figure we can get a nice sized home with a nice backyard. We're kind of tired of the NOVA rat race and just want quiet living. Although, I do love the conveniences of NOVA.

Any pros and cons would be helpful.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 PM

25,052 posts, read 35,768,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtb View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are considering relocating from Northern VA to Chesapeake. I guess I'm looking for anyone who has relocated from NOVA and any pros and cons.

We're 35 years old, no kids. We may start a family in the near future. We own a home in NOVA that we would sell and buy a place in Chesapeake. We've been in NOVA for 15 years and are just looking for a change. The biggest upside has been the home prices in Chesapeake. I figure we can get a nice sized home with a nice backyard. We're kind of tired of the NOVA rat race and just want quiet living. Although, I do love the conveniences of NOVA.

Any pros and cons would be helpful.

Thanks!
I grew up 25 min from Chesapeake in Hampton and lived in Alexandria for 6 years.

Big differences

- Chesapeake is much slower paced and laid back than NoVA.
- Chesapeake is not anyway near racially diverse as NoVA. However Chesapeake is very well racially intergrated.
- While the schools aren't as good as NoVA, they are IMO of a high quality.
- Provided you live on the same side of the water you work traffic isnt as horrid as NoVA.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM

179 posts, read 444,683 times
Parts of Chesapeake are very rural still while others are much more suburban. Schools are on the whole good, there are some zones that are rated better then others, the top three would be Hickory, Grassfield, and Great Bridge. They are pretty equal in terms of quality. You can buy a nice house here for a lot less than in NOVA, it just depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood. We don't have the large planned communities like in Ashburn but a lot of smaller nice neighborhoods. Heck there is a 5000 sq foot house in my neighborhood on the water that is way cheaper than you could find in NOVA but it still isn't cheap....

You are not going to find the number of places to eat, shop, do things as close by as you would up North. It's a trade off.... more laid back, friendly people and more bang for your buck here, more activity where you are now.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 AM

177 posts, read 608,356 times
I have moved back and forth between NOVA and Hampton Roads twice and agree with what everyone said...especially the working on the same side of the water thing. Depending on where in Chesapeake you end up (and where you get a job), you may have to go through a tunnel...and they plan to start charging tolls for a couple of them soon.

Pros:
- laid back
- won't spend 10+ hours of your week commuting to/from work
- can pretty much get to where u want to be in 30 mins or less...usually
- 3 hours drive back to NOVA to visit (which is nice in the summer when everyone is heading down this way for the weekend)
- housing prices
- less snow than NOVA (may be a pro or con depending on your preference)
- friendlier people

Cons:
- lack of diverse food options (compared to NOVA)
- lack of diverse shopping options (compared to NOVA)
- hurricane threat is greater than in NOVA
- doesn't have the political pull of NOVA (not party-related, but we don't get as money as NOVA does...i.e. tolls for infrastructure improvements)

My advice would be for you to come down here during the week/weekend (say Thurs - Sat) and drive around and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area