U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 35,159 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband got a new job in Newport News. We were looking for a home to rent in a small quaint clean town where you can walk the shops, the lowest crime and the best schools for our 2 young children. The water side is a big plus! The only problem im having is the prices. A decent size house for our family is around $1500 /month.... Is there something i'm missing? Are there cheaper homes there or similar towns that may be cheaper? Schools are #1 to us followed by low crime. Thank you so much for any advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 17,869 times
I'm in the same boat as you..the cost of living over there is outrageous. IF I could, I would stay right in Raleigh area. I have been visiting the Hampton roads area for a year on and off and the more I see, the less I am impressed. Just kind of disappointed..but have to move there this summer and I see its going to be about 1500 to 1800 a month to rent anything decent.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM

154 posts, read 356,911 times
This isn't the cheapest area, but housing prices (for sale) are still slowly dropping. Military housing allowances, which are pretty generous for families, are one of the main factors keeping rents high. If the Navy moves more ships to other ports, prices could drop further.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM

115 posts, read 214,738 times
York County is safe, but not cheap for the area. Gloucester is cheaper, but the schools not so hot. Isle of Wight is moderate, and the elementary schools good in Carrollton. The middle and high schools might have a slightly rougher crowd, but not so much as Newport News.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 PM

368 posts, read 916,726 times
I know Newport News schools get a bad rap, but I have plenty of friends who send their kids to the NN public schools and love them. (For the record, I also know people who send their kids to the more highly regarded York County schools who are less than thrilled.) For NN elementary schools, I personally know people whose kids attend Yates Elementary, Hidenwood Elementary, and Hilton Elementary, and they are all very pleased. For middle schools, Gildersleeve Elementary is highly recommended by several friends. I don't know anyone with kids in high school, but I've heard good things about Menchville H.S. from "friends" in an on-line mothers forum.

Don't let people undersell Newport News. There were people on here who had us scared to death to live in Newport News before we moved here, but (luckily) we listened to our real estate agent instead, bought a house here, and love it. There are many safe, affordable neighborhoods with good schools. I'd be happy to steer you toward a few of the more desirable neighborhoods if you're interested.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 AM

Default Menchville

I have heard of that area before (Mencheville). I wasn't sure where it was. I have two kids in high school so safety is a high priority. Right now my kids are in one of the best schools in our area, and one of the safest. I have been living here for 5 years and did not not know about this area until about 3 years ago. If I knew any military moving here I would tell them to try to move out here (Rosewood by Goldsboro, NC). Can you tell me more about Menchville? Is it still safe, particularly High Schools? Is it cheaper than Yorktown? I looked at Smithfield and it seemed really nice, and very safe as well (although I know nothing about the high school) and I am concerned about commuting. I am a nurse so I don't have a job yet but my boyfriend will have to drive to the Air Force base. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 AM

Can anyone tell me why everyone says York County schools are so great? I drove to Tabb High School and the other one that has the combined middle and high school together. The neighborhoods around that one seemed much nicer but the school looked like a prison and had cameras outside of it. That was bizarre.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM

25,617 posts, read 37,385,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4cocoapuff View Post
Can anyone tell me why everyone says York County schools are so great? I drove to Tabb High School and the other one that has the combined middle and high school together. The neighborhoods around that one seemed much nicer but the school looked like a prison and had cameras outside of it. That was bizarre.
I actually went to Tabb from 02-04 so I can only speak from my experience at that time. The cameras were probably a response all the school shootings in the news at that time. I went there while they were operating. They weren't that much a biggie and the school was pretty safe.

York County schools have the positive reputation they have in part because of the surrounding systems of Hampton and Newport News having more so-so or mediocre schools, so that does play a part.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM

368 posts, read 916,726 times
We spend a lot of time in the Menchville area because of Riverview Farm Park (which is awesome and right across from Menchville HS). The Menchville area is perfectly safe. (Believe me, I'm UBER overprotective--if I'm taking my kids there, it's safe.)

Judging from friends who send their kids to NN schools in the midtown (off Warwick between Boxley Blvd. and Avenue of the Arts) and Menchville areas, a good student can get a fine education and be safe there. We homeschool (as we did when we lived in Yorktown), but I, personally, would feel comfortable sending my kids to the NN public schools in any of the midtown or Menchville neighborhoods. I've known friends who have moved from these areas of NN to YC specifically because of the reputation of the YC schools and been disappointed (not because the YC schools were worse, just because they weren't any better). There are definitely parts of NN I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kids to school in (most areas south of Jefferson--except for Hilton elementary or possibly Warwick HS, or in many parts of Denbeigh), but the Menchville area isn't one of them.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by artistatheart; 03-12-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area