U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 72,912 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know there are a lot of posts about this subject, but I want to get fresh opinions and ones more pertinent to my situation. I'll just give a little background so you know where I am at and where I am coming from.

I'm 30, I'm married with 3 kids. I am white and my wife is hispanic (Bolivian). My kids are 10, 8, and 5 within the next 2-3 months. I am a full-time software engineer at a company in Gloucester. I am originally from San Diego, Louisville, and Chicago. I went to school in NY. My wife is from La Paz and is used to the city and suburban life as am I.

At this time I have 3 years of full-time professional development experience, so my wage is good. You can Google the average and get a rough estimate. I am an Atheist, so any of the religion questions (good churches, etc) don't interest me.

Within 2 years, my goal is to move to Virginia Beach or Chesapeake and get a job in a location I desire more than the country life of Gloucester. I admit, I have developed the "I'm not crossing the bridge (Coleman)" mindset.. I did move down here from Syracuse for work in Chesapeake, where I lived in Isle of White county. It was OK, but still too country for us.

I've been cruising CraigsList for the last 6 months to get a feel, and my wife and I are just a bit confused as to where to live. I know there are good/bad situations everywhere, but I want the best life I can get. I worked extremely hard for what I have, and now that I can do it, I want the best.

Concerns:

My kids have experienced racism now in both places we have lived. This only comes from the black kids. I feel they finally have someone "not white" to pick on that is mildly less darker than them. This is my best guess, but it's happened in Isle of White and in Gloucester. The white kids do not pick on them for their skin color, only the black kids.

I am worried about "too many blacks", "too many hispanics", and "too many whites"... are there any schools with a good mix? I grew up the single white boy in a class full of blacks in northern Chicago, and I know how tough that is. I've also grown up being the single white kid in a class of all mexicans, so I know how tough that is. I'm looking for a mix. I've also grown up in KY where everyone was white and it was just awkward.

My wife has had racism directed at her in Gloucester from white women. I expect this is due to the fact that this county is just rather podunk and narrow minded.

Virginia Beach and Chesapeake seem a bit better than the other areas for this as they, by demographics and with the military, are more mixed.

Demands:

Upper Middle Class neighborhood. 60-90k Lifestyle Range

Question List:

1) What parts of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have great schools? I've read on Craigslist ads that "Kempsville" is a great school, but I thought that Kempsville was a gangbanger school. How is south of Mt. Trashmore? From what I remember, it is bad.

2) What parts of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have good housing? Low crime, etc. We want to avoid racially charged areas where blacks, hispanics, and whites are at an obvious contention.

3) Where to avoid country living in Virginia Beach if it is bad. I remember Pungo being very country, but don't remember if it was podunk.

4) Commute doesn't bother me. San Diego/LA is worse than this, and I work from home a lot.

Growing up, my parents separated and I lived for about a year in Virginia Beach. I attended First Colonial while here. I do not believe I can afford that area though.

Basically, I would like an "area" list rated 1-10 of best to worst areas of VB and Chesapeake.

Thanks all, appreciate it.

JR
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,254,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrocky View Post
Hello,

Question List:

1) What parts of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have great schools? I've read on Craigslist ads that "Kempsville" is a great school, but I thought that Kempsville was a gangbanger school. How is south of Mt. Trashmore? From what I remember, it is bad.

2) What parts of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have good housing? Low crime, etc. We want to avoid racially charged areas where blacks, hispanics, and whites are at an obvious contention.

3) Where to avoid country living in Virginia Beach if it is bad. I remember Pungo being very country, but don't remember if it was podunk.

4) Commute doesn't bother me. San Diego/LA is worse than this, and I work from home a lot.

Growing up, my parents separated and I lived for about a year in Virginia Beach. I attended First Colonial while here. I do not believe I can afford that area though.

Basically, I would like an "area" list rated 1-10 of best to worst areas of VB and Chesapeake.

JR
Since I am pretty much in your age group, income group, and mixed race marriage situation (wife is asian/polynesian/hispanic) I will try to give you a good comprehensive review. If you want a good racial/ethnic mix then I would definitely recommend Virginia Beach over Chesapeake. Both area worlds ahead of Gloucester but VB is the more diverse of the two, with more mixed race couples/kids, and just more overall to do.

//www.city-data.com/city/Chesapeake-Virginia.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Virgin...-Virginia.html

Virginia Beach Public Schools have a great website, each school gets a report card and you can find everything you want to know from test scores to demographics to programs. Scouring through this will be more helpful than any opinion one might give on a forum.

Virginia Beach City Public Schools - Annual School Report Card Archives

I'm not sure where you heard that Kempsville is a gangbanger school, most of my friends graduated from there and didn't have any issues. Given your list of complaints and desires, I would recommend the following school districts (just my personal opinion):

VB: Ocean Lakes, Cox, First Colonial, Kempsville, Princess Anne, Kellam, Tallwood (borderline, this would be the lowest of the good schools IMO).

Chesapeake: Great Bridge, Grassfield, Hickory

Areas to avoid in VB are definitely Green Run, Bayside, Landstown, and possibly Salem (this one is borderline, probably the most diverse school district in VB but I have heard parts of it can be kind of rough from people that went there). Some of the high income areas can be a bit snooty as well and have some drug issues but it is mostly middle class around the city.

Areas to avoid in Chesapeake are near Campostella/Military highway area for sure. Indian River High School was pretty rough when I was there, Oscar Smith is borderline IMO. Parts of Hickory are a little "uppity" as well.

If you are really concerned with neighborhood demographics and incomes, you can pull up any census tract you want on here and find out how things break down. Pull down the "view more maps" tab for income, education, race, home prices etc... this is a great tool.

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

I live in Kempsville, I went to Kemps Landing when I was a kid before we moved to Chesapeake, so that is the one area I can give a really good review of. We feel safe in the area and we like it. We live in an nice middle class subdivision, we are close to the highway, have a short drive to shopping, town center, norfolk, greenbrier, and about 20min to the oceanfront. Our neighbors to the right are a Korean Family, our neighbors to the left are a White family from the Midwest, our neighbors across the street are a Filipino family, next door to them is a White man married to a Black woman. I would say 25% of our friends are in mixed-race marriages and all have mixed kids (a lot of Filipino/White mixes around here which probably look similar to your kids).

Here are some of the racial demographics from a middle and elementary school in Kempsville. It is pretty well mixed and the younger you are the more diverse it becomes (this is relevant since your kids are young).

Farfield Elementary (Off Providence Rd in Kempsville):

White: 56%
Black: 21%
Asian: 11%
Hispanic: 6%
Mixed/Other: 6%

Kempville Middle School:

White: 66%
Black: 18%
Asian: 7%
Hispanic: 5%
Mixed/Other: 4%

Everyone gets along fine and all of the kids play together as far as I can tell. Just go down to Woodstock park and you will see White/Black/Asian kids all playing in the skatepark or throwing the football around together. You get some cliques here and there and I am sure there are some racial things that pop up from time to time (there are everywhere) but overall it is an accepting area where nobody gives us a second look for being a mixed race couple or having "brown" kids. Virginia Beach is consistently one of the safest cities in the country of its size. I think it is a good place to raise a family.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 AM

This is just what I needed. I appreciate all of this.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:54 AM

Hey, that report card and NYTimes city map tool are incredible. Thanks a lot!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,254,306 times
Quote:
Hey, that report card and NYTimes city map tool are incredible. Thanks a lot!
You're welcome, as soon as you said software engineer I knew you would appreciate the data on those sites. People's opinions are nice, but mounds of actual data you can sift through is always nicer. LOL

Something else that might make you feel better about VB.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sort by violent crime, Virginia Beach has the second lowest rate in the country for any city over 250,000 people. The only real negatives around here are the low wages/high rents and the lack of excitement for young professionals... since you don't appear to be overly concerned with either of those things, I think it is a good area for you to raise a family for sure. Just live close to the interstate, traffic on the surface streets sucks.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
You're welcome, as soon as you said software engineer I knew you would appreciate the data on those sites. People's opinions are nice, but mounds of actual data you can sift through is always nicer. LOL.
Give me the facts jack! lol, thanks again.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 17,491 times
Default Where to live for JR

Hi, JR!

[FONT=Consolas]I am a Prudential Towne Realty realtor and I understand you are interested in purchasing a home in Chesapeake or Virginia Beach. Congratulations! As you may know, we are in a buyer's market with outstanding opportunities awaiting you in this region.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]I understand your concerns and would like to talk with you more about your ideal home and neighborhood. Please do not hesitate to call me so we can begin the process of getting you settled within two years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
Sincerely,

Susan
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]Susan Rooney, Realtor, MBA[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]ABR, ASP RE, e-Pro[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]Prudential Towne Realty[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]600 22nd Street, Ste. 101[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]Virginia Beach, Virginia 23451[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]Licensed in Virginia[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]Mobile: 757.574.3528 Fax: 757.422.6371[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri][URL="http://www.susanrooney.com"]www.susanrooney.com[/URL][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]ABR - Accredited Buyer Representative[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]ASP RE - Accredited Staging Professional Realtor[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri]e-Pro - Internet Professional[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri][url=http://vahomeownersalliance.com]Homeowner Information | Virginia Association of Realtors[/url][/FONT][/FONT]

Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 16,187 times
Information is great! Thank UHgrad. Just a quick comment. I don't understand how Hispanic became a race. Don't be fooled it's an ethnicity, meaning a cultural label not a race. Sorry to hear JBrocky's family has experienced racism, it's a shame.

Last edited by Mosby1; 07-10-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 AM

91 posts, read 245,647 times
Quote:
Hello,

I know there are a lot of posts about this subject, but I want to get fresh opinions and ones more pertinent to my situation. I'll just give a little background so you know where I am at and where I am coming from.

I'm 30, I'm married with 3 kids. I am white and my wife is hispanic (Bolivian). My kids are 10, 8, and 5 within the next 2-3 months. I am a full-time software engineer at a company in Gloucester. I am originally from San Diego, Louisville, and Chicago. I went to school in NY. My wife is from La Paz and is used to the city and suburban life as am I.

At this time I have 3 years of full-time professional development experience, so my wage is good. You can Google the average and get a rough estimate. I am an Atheist, so any of the religion questions (good churches, etc) don't interest me.

Within 2 years, my goal is to move to Virginia Beach or Chesapeake and get a job in a location I desire more than the country life of Gloucester. I admit, I have developed the "I'm not crossing the bridge (Coleman)" mindset.. I did move down here from Syracuse for work in Chesapeake, where I lived in Isle of White county. It was OK, but still too country for us.

I've been cruising CraigsList for the last 6 months to get a feel, and my wife and I are just a bit confused as to where to live. I know there are good/bad situations everywhere, but I want the best life I can get. I worked extremely hard for what I have, and now that I can do it, I want the best.

Concerns:

My kids have experienced racism now in both places we have lived. This only comes from the black kids. I feel they finally have someone "not white" to pick on that is mildly less darker than them. This is my best guess, but it's happened in Isle of White and in Gloucester. The white kids do not pick on them for their skin color, only the black kids.

I am worried about "too many blacks", "too many hispanics", and "too many whites"... are there any schools with a good mix? I grew up the single white boy in a class full of blacks in northern Chicago, and I know how tough that is. I've also grown up being the single white kid in a class of all mexicans, so I know how tough that is. I'm looking for a mix. I've also grown up in KY where everyone was white and it was just awkward.

My wife has had racism directed at her in Gloucester from white women. I expect this is due to the fact that this county is just rather podunk and narrow minded.

Virginia Beach and Chesapeake seem a bit better than the other areas for this as they, by demographics and with the military, are more mixed.

Demands:

Upper Middle Class neighborhood. 60-90k Lifestyle Range

Question List:

JR
I was born in NYC, lived in Va beach for 20 years. I want to go south, where living is cheaper... like Mississippi south. Heres your answers.

1) Hickory area of Chesapeake and Kellam areas of Virginia beach are the best schools. basically the more southern rural areas. The people there have more money, so the better teachers end up there, and the kids are rich and well behaved. Kempsville is a gang bang school, so is green run and bayside.

2)The best way to avoid racism, is to be in an area with all races. Most of northern chesapeake, and western va beach have this. if you mouth too far south in either city, you get all whites which will make racist jokes at blacks and latinos. If you go too far into the black areas, the same will happen.

3)I'm in pungo. It is podunk and very country, it has the best schools in Va beach, but they may be racist to your wife and children. I like it here, just hate the racism.

4)I'd say look at the salem areas of virginia beach. salem, landstown, ocean lakes and tallwood high areas of va beach. especially salem and tallwood.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 AM

179 posts, read 432,851 times
I live in the Grassfield district of Chesapeake and of the three highly rated schools (Grassfield, Great Bridge, and Hickory) Grassfield is the most diverse. It is a great school with really good feeder schools into it as well. We are very happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area