Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,036 times

Advertisements

It's not that bad really..37/25.. And I know I was doing 37 and I will pay my dues... However I really thought the speed limit was 35 and I talked to the officer about that... Here is my question though.. Or the situation and I want to know should I fight this ticket or just pay the fine...

I leave my house and go the same way to work every day.. From my house to the point where I got pulled over there is no speed limit sign... At least a mile worth of road that is traveled with no speed limit posted.. I really thought the speed limit was 35 as stated to the officer.. Is this something could fight or is it best just to pay the ticket?

Also any thoughts of how much the ticket will be? It was in Hampton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 AM

135 posts, read 388,392 times
The cost of the ticket can be seen if they accept online payments. The address should be on ticket, provided Hampton accepts them that way.

You may want to go if you have not had a speeding ticket or any other kind in years. The judge may take it into consideration (as he did for me). In my case I was told that the ticket case would be put on hold for 60 days and as along as I did not have another ticket within that time he would drop the ticket altogether. There is still a court cost you may have to pay. Usually around $50-$60. My ticket was in Hampton also.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 AM

18 posts, read 45,778 times
I've had a situation where I was in a 35, turned onto a 25 and got pulled over for going 36. I did not pass another sign and it was thrown out. If you were in a 25 though (your neighborhood) then you should have still been doing the 25 until you were notified otherwise.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,146,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross View Post
It's not that bad really..37/25.. And I know I was doing 37 and I will pay my dues... However I really thought the speed limit was 35 and I talked to the officer about that... Here is my question though.. Or the situation and I want to know should I fight this ticket or just pay the fine...

I leave my house and go the same way to work every day.. From my house to the point where I got pulled over there is no speed limit sign... At least a mile worth of road that is traveled with no speed limit posted.. I really thought the speed limit was 35 as stated to the officer.. Is this something could fight or is it best just to pay the ticket?

Also any thoughts of how much the ticket will be? It was in Hampton
Pay the ticket.

Quote:
What Are The Speed Limits For Roads That Are Not Posted?

The speed limit for most business and residential areas is 25 mph. On secondary roads (those routes numbered 600 and above, with one exception), the limits are 45 mph for trucks and 55 mph for other vehicles.
Speed Limits

Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM

203 posts, read 474,507 times
If you have a clean driving record, it may be worth while to spend the day in the court room and ask the judge for some consideration. I would not mention that you travel that road everyday as he would believe you should have know the speed limit in that area. With a clean driving record, many judges will defer a finding for a period of time, usually a year in Va Beach, and if you are not given another violation, you will not be convicted of speeding. If that is the case, stop by DMV and buy a copy of your driving record and take it with you to court. The officer will be there and should be able to tell the judge you were cooperative and polite and that you stated you were unaware of the limit. There are many times officers are assigned to work certain areas after the residents complain about speeders in the neighborhoods. The officers are "expected" to produce "numbers" at those locations so warnings are few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area