Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering renting out our main and only residence in virginia beach and downsizing.....How do I find out the legalities for virginia beach regarding renting out our home? Any info anyone can shed on this topic would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 11,332 times
What are you looking at knowing? Setting a price, what your responsible for? Where to get a lease? If you are unsure you can get a Property Management company to just do a credit check and write up a lease for you for a small fee and you maintain the property or I would seek the advice of either a real estate attorney and see if he/she can draw up a lease and just pay fee and go from there. I had this done with a place we rented. But you can also look up Landlord/Tenant Act for Virginia although this can be abit confusing.

Just a few things - get a lease, set a price, collect a security deposit (put in a separate acct) REQUIRE them to have renters insurance (get proof) you'd be responsible for maintenance on the house and all the contents of it (not their stuff, but yours), i.e. - appliances, and any issues if things need to be repaired. Unless its tenants fault. Put everything in writing, if they are responsible for yard work, late fee, bounced check fees, also clearly state a date rent is due - due on 1st but after 5th considered late etc. These are pretty standard but just pointing out the obvious. Renting can have its benefits but can also be a nightmare.

Can I ask why you want to take it on yourself? PM companies usually charge a 10% monthly fee, but handle ALL the nightmares with tenants. And if you had to evict they handle that as well.

Good luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: