U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM

11 posts, read 27,618 times

Advertisements

Here is my previous post that describes what I am looking for in an area in general and what I would like my apartment to look like. Can you tell me what areas of Hampton Roads, VA Beach, or Newport News will offer me these things?

Previous Post:
What are the Safest and Best Places for Raising Kids?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM

368 posts, read 893,456 times
I really think that with the continuing (and extremely rapid) expansion of CNU (Christopher Newport University) the midtown area of NN (off Warwick, between Boxley Blvd. and Avenue of the Arts is a really up and coming area. It already has PFAC (Peninsula Fine Arts Center), the Mariner"s Museum, the Virginia Living Museum and the Noland Trail, and (in my opinion) it's only going to get better as the area becomes more academic. It's a good, safe area, but I would probably look into renting a house vs. an apartment (there are a lot of nice neighborhoods with reasonable rentals).

If you like the area, but want to be in an apartment, I would recommend Clairmont Apartments in Yorktown. That would put you about 25 minutes away from the amenities I mentioned, but I know it's a solid, safe, and clean complex (as we used to live there ).

I considered the drive into NN (where we spent most of our time) a big pain, but there weren't a lot of things to do in Yorktown with little kids, so we made the trek down 17 regularly. It's an easy commute, but it gets old quickly.

Best of luck with your move--hope you find a place you love.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM

154 posts, read 348,814 times
I would say either Virginia Beach or Chesapeake. There are apartments in safe areas and it is easy to get to Norfolk for downtown activities. One thing that might be hard to find from your post in the area is cultural diversity. It is generally white and black, with some Asian influence in Virginia Beach.

Finding a nice area with minimal traffic might be tough though. The "safe" parts of both the Southside and Peninsula have lots of traffic. If you want to avoid it, you will probably be in a rural area, which doesn't fit your other expectations.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 PM

5,952 posts, read 8,966,512 times
You're not going to find much if anything in that price range for what you're looking for in you're last post.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:59 PM

13 posts, read 25,397 times
Can someone tell me a nice rural area to raise a family with good schools? We have a couple horses and a few other farm animals. we really dont want to commute too far away from Elizabeth City 30 minutes at the most. Thats where my husbands job is being transferred. Thank you

Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 PM

5,952 posts, read 8,966,512 times
You may want to ask in the NC forum since that's where Elizabeth City is.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:31 PM

13 posts, read 25,397 times
Default Please help us decide, Your opinion is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You may want to ask in the NC forum since that's where Elizabeth City is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You...

I guess what my original post shouldve read is this...

Due to a job transfer my Husband must make a choice to move to one of these three states, ....

Elizabeth City, NC ...
Conway SC.....
Chesapeake, VA....

He has been working for the same company for years as upper management and would be making slightly over $50,000 a year. We are getting closer to retirement age and dont want to have to move once we retire.

My oldest daughter resides with me and has three small children still pre-school age. She has been a CNA for 10 years therefore she will be looking for a CNA Nursing home job and good schooling she would like to make a priority.

We have a couple horses with a few other small farm animals and wouldnt want to commute too far from these cites I mentioned above, Does anyone know of some nice rural farm areas? what rural areas would be near these cities without husband traveling more than 30 minutes a day.
Also Safety low crime area would be a priority.

Thank you for all of your help.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:29 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,849,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNY View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You...

I guess what my original post shouldve read is this...

Due to a job transfer my Husband must make a choice to move to one of these three states, ....

Elizabeth City, NC ...
Conway SC.....
Chesapeake, VA....

He has been working for the same company for years as upper management and would be making slightly over $50,000 a year. We are getting closer to retirement age and dont want to have to move once we retire.

My oldest daughter resides with me and has three small children still pre-school age. She has been a CNA for 10 years therefore she will be looking for a CNA Nursing home job and good schooling she would like to make a priority.

We have a couple horses with a few other small farm animals and wouldnt want to commute too far from these cites I mentioned above, Does anyone know of some nice rural farm areas? what rural areas would be near these cities without husband traveling more than 30 minutes a day.
Also Safety low crime area would be a priority.

Thank you for all of your help.
Chesapeake would be the largest city of those three. It really depends on what you are looking for in an area. Earlier, a poster mentioned diversity. Ironically, it would appear as though the other two cities (NC and SC), might actually be more diverse than Chesapeake; if you're looking at percentages, it would appear as if those two are on paper. It feels as if I responded to your other post though, if so, I probably said the same thing then that I will now.

I'm not a fan of Chesapeake, but I'm a Midwesterner, so my opinion might be skewed for what you'll get in this forum. I have no desire to move to the Carolinas. Perhaps I should consider it. So if I suggest Chesapeake take my personal bias for what it is. I don't want a smaller city, although there are some advantages to Elizabeth City and Conway that may not be readily apparent you'll never know of unless you post this question in all three forums, or tailor your question to each forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area