U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,337 times

Advertisements

We are headed to the are for house hunting in May. We are very excited about our assignment to Hampton Roads! Can anyone recommend some restaurants? Our target living area is York County, but we would travel anywhere in the area for good food and an experience. We will be without kids, not interested in anything super touristy (as I know some Williamsburg establishments can be). Don't mind spending a little extra for something special. Hole-in-the-wall recommendations would be very welcome as well!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM

57 posts, read 210,371 times
Hampton Roads is not really a foodie destination, but things have improved greatly over the last 10 years.

Urbanspoon.com lists the top York/Poquoson restaurants as Kero Sushi, Country Grill & Smokehouse and Little Philly Cheesesteaks. I haven't been to these.

The peninsula (Hampton, Newport News) is pretty weak, in my opinion. But Circa 1918 (a tiny bistro) is great, Taphouse Grill has one of the best beer selections I've ever seen, and Gah Bua Kham is good Thai.

Chesapeake is avoidable. Portsmouth has a few ok spots. Norfolk and Virginia Beach are really where you want to be if you are doing the food tourist thing.

I live in Va Beach, These are my faves. They are all authentic within their cuisine type:

1. Rt. 58 Deli Diner (Jewish deli food)
2. Citrus or Doc Taylor's (breakfast)
3. Pacifica (tapas)
4. Zoe's or Burton's (reasonably priced higher-end)
5. Neighbor's (NY-style pizza)
6. La Bella Italia (Italian)
7. Jade Villa (dim sum)
8. Jessy's Taqueria (Mexican; in Norfolk)
9. Five Guys (burgers)
10. Zushi (sushi)
11. Tautog's (seafood/American)
12. Krispy Kreme (donuts)
13. Beach Bully (pulled pork)/Whitner's (burnt ends)

Unfortunately, there are no great bakeries (not including Italian bakeries within La Bella Italia and Rigoletto) or philly cheesesteaks in Virginia Beach.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 30,649 times
Wow great list. Can't wait to tackle it! I just moved here from Portland so yes I'm also a foodie. I live in West Ghent and have hit up a few places though looking for more:
1. Luna Maya -good Mexican and they made a very good margarita
2. Bangkok Thai -my standard thai food to go, recommended by most
3. The Birch-beer and cheese though pricey and interesting it's a must-see

Other than that, I can walk to Public House so I've been there every weekend. I've heard good things about Taste (sandwiches), the Tap House, and I just went to Empire (was bummed about a bad server-but the bar was cool, tiny but cool).

Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,522,900 times
Never been that familiar with the Peninsula, but on the Southside there's lots of good restaurants. Here's a cool article to check out about foodie places in Norfolk:

Norfolk,-Va.-restaurants-serving-up-food-worthy-of - Chicago Sun-Times

Aside from what's mentioned there, here's a few of my favorites:

Orapax (Greek, Norfolk)
Sakura (sushi, VB)
Sugar Plum (bakery, VB)
Azalea Inn (Greek/Little bit of everything, Norfolk)
Lew's (hot dogs/barbecue sandwiches, Norfolk)
Dockside (seafood, VB)
Zia Marie (Italian, VB)
No Frill Grill (mix of everything, but amazing sandwiches/soup, Norfolk or VB)
Bier Garden (German, Portsmouth)
Philadelphia Cold Cuts (deli, VB)
Fat Philly's (deli, Norfolk)
Franco's (Italian, Norfolk)
Razzo (Italian, Norfolk)
Felini's (Italian, Norfolk)
Yorgo's (bagels, Norfolk)
Pollard's (fried chicken/soul food, Norfolk or VB)
Elias Cafe (Greek, VB)
Lynnhaven Fish House (seafood, VB)
Andy's Pizza House (pizzeria, Norfolk)
Bel Aire Pancake House (breakfast, Norfolk)

Just FYI, lots of the restaurants in Norfolk are owned by Greeks, so you never have to go far for a good gyro or lamb kabobs.

Last edited by xGrendelx; 04-05-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,592 times
The food in the area is definitely lacking. A few places I love that aren't already listed...

Yard House-American-Asian, VB
Fuji Yama-Sushi, VB
Citrus-Breakfast/lunch, VB
Rudee Inlet-Seafood, VB
Baja Cantina-Seafood, VB
Reginella's- Italian, VB
Baladi Mediterranean Cafe, VB
El Grand Rodeo-Mexican, VB
Aloha Hawaiian BBQ, (they also have Thai food) VB
Rick's Cafe, Love the breakfast, VB

Enjoy the adventure!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorntonm View Post

The peninsula (Hampton, Newport News) is pretty weak, in my opinion. But Circa 1918 (a tiny bistro) is great, Taphouse Grill has one of the best beer selections I've ever seen, and Gah Bua Kham is good Thai.
As a frequent visitor to the peninsula I can second Circa 1918 and Taphouse! Both excellent. My favorite peninsula spot is "Six" Little bar Bistro in the Phoebus section of Hampton. Great small plates, beer and cocktail selection.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM

404 posts, read 1,077,116 times
Sticking to the Peninsula

Surf Rider(Hampton) - If you're looking for great seafood Surf Rider is the place! What's cool about it is that it's a bit hidden off the beaten path in Hampton. Once you arrive, you'll find it's on a beautiful marina amongst many gorgeous boats. Even if you have to wait, it's always fun to take a walk along the docks and soak up the scenery. The food is excellent as well. The crabcakes are hands down the best in Hampton Roads.

Chic N Fish(Newport News/York County border) - Hole in the Wall type of unassuming place that serves great Korean Fried chicken. They call it NYC style fried chicken.

Cheddars (Newport News)- A locals favorite because of their cheap prices and big portions. They serve American food similar to Applebee's/TGI Fridays but the quality is much better and doesn't taste like reheated frozen food. I would avoid Cheddars on a Friday or Saturday night because it gets PACKED!

Plaza Azteca - The Defacto Mexican restaurant in all of Hampton Roads. There's one in about every single area of Hampton Roads. It's a locals favorite as well BUT a bit commercialized type of Mexican. If you're familiar with authentic Mexican or West Coast Mexican food, you'll be disappointed with Plaza. I thought I'd throw it in because it's so popular in Hampton Roads.

Pierces BBQ(Williamsburg) - A staple in Williamsburg ever since I could remember as a kid. Pretty simple BBQ joint but extremely popular. It's probably the only good quality cheap eat in Williamsburg when you don't want to dine in a fancy Williamsburg restaurant or resort to eating big chain fast food.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 PM

32,739 posts, read 38,863,634 times
Plaza Azteca is a chain, and there are many of them in the area. I don't find them to be much different from every other Mexican spot, but you might like them. Pollards is also chain here, with locations all over. Their chicken is wonderful, but you must try the puffs with honey!! Burton's Grille is amazing...and well worth the higher price. I agree that Chesapeake generally does not offer much, but if you want the best Philly cheesesteak around, then the Great Bridge Grill is your spot. Also, they have an amazing breakfast. Get there early though...it's a local favorite, and there is very limited seating.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 AM

44 posts, read 100,645 times
On the Peninsula - my 2 favorite places are
Vinny's - Italian and cheesesteaks - try the meat-lover's chicken or buffalo chicken as well
Rick's Cheesesteaks - more fantastic food

Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM

404 posts, read 1,077,116 times
Also in Newport News, I forgot to add

Joe & Mimas - It's a casual Italian restaurant that has a strong following in Newport News. They're most known for their italian subs and pizza. Nothing fancy at all, alot of families go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area