Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,627 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved out of our apartment in VA a month ago because he was getting deployed, and I decided to move to another state to stay with family. We lived in our apartment for just over two years, upon moving in we were told the carpet was new. Having lived there for two years, I'm sure it had normal wear/tear on it, but we did a good job of keeping it looking good in my opinion, especially with a baby running around. A couple of weeks before we vacated, we asked the management to look at the carpet and tell us what they thought about it. It was stained, the last time it had been cleaned was 6months prior to that, so there were stains. Nothing crazy, but normal stains. We were told that it just needed to be cleaned. Upon moving out, we were there for the inspection where the lady also stated that there were stains (written on the move out check list) and we were told that it needed to be cleaned. Yesterday, I received a bill from them in the mail stating that we were to pay $712 for carpet replacement. The estimate says that there is a lot of wear in one area (which there was not. The only spot they might be talking about was were carpet connected to tile into the dining room, the metal bar that was supposed to be on top of it "protecting the edge" was missing, for a long time because they never replaced it, even though we asked multiple times.) The estimate also said they were a large amount of stains, which I don't agree with, but even so all the stains that were there could be easily cleaned. The only thing we agree on is there was a tiny bleach spot in the hallway, which could be replaced. I don't want to complain, i would be happy to replace something if it needed it because we did not properly take care of it, but I don't feel we did that and I don't want to be pushed around. The estimate also does not state a price on it, so I'm confused as to where they came up with the $712. At any rate, I'm not sure what to do now. Even if the carpet needed replaced, I can't believe it would be that much. I can only assume this price is for the whole apartment, the bill I received was not detailed at all. This was a two bedroom apartment, my son's bedroom was perfectly fine, as he never spent much time in there other than to sleep, and our bedroom was almost just as clean. $712 to replace the living room seems very high to me. Not to mention shouldn't this at least be pro-rated for the two years we lived there, assuming we should have to replace this? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM

19,673 posts, read 9,999,065 times
They are probably just doing the normal landlord thing, cheating the tenant out of the security deposit. If you didn't have one, then the loss is their problem. As far as a landlord replacing all the carpet, they have the right, so it all matches. You are not going to find a piece of carpet to match 2 year old carpet. If they try to do anything, they must give you an itemized list of damages so you can try to dispute it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,943,749 times
You should take photos upon moving in....and if there are ANY issues, have them addressed BEFORE you sign the contract. Upon moving out...you'll have the photos to compare. Anything that wasn't addressed when you moved in, will likely be charged to you. That's just the way it is.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 AM

419 posts, read 897,917 times
I have been a landlord and think that there are two issues here. One- 712.00 for replacing one room of carpet is extremely high. It is proabably for teh whole apartment and it still seems high but I am not familiar with the specific unit so it may be reasonable. Whether you should have to pay the full cost is another questions. It would depend ont he specific wording the lease regarding what is normal wear and tear. If the damage to the one room could not be fixed without it begin obvious it may be that the full cost would be your resposibilty. I thionk you are probably resposible for the single room but not the whole apartment. You may want to try and write letter to that effect to the ladnlord and if it is important to you go to court to dispute the issue. Most judges in the area are very pro tenant in these matters, even when the lease may state they are responsible.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,627 times
Thank you for your comments everyone, I really appreciate it. I've been able to get this taken care of thankfully. I brought up a couple things regarding the law that I spoke to them about, as well as things that should of been done to the carpet that they said themselves were not attempted, but should have been. They also did not take photos of anything they were trying to charge me for, and could not prove the age of the carpet. So I was able to get the price down to $100 for the cleaning and that's all. Make sure you always research/know what you are talking about when dealing with situations like this. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area